My Generation: A Mistake to Replace It with Grey’s Anatomy Repeats?

My GenerationThough fans of the recently cancelled My Generation may be lamenting its demise, the move to replace it with repeats of Grey’s Anatomy appears to make better financial sense for the network.

Last week’s Grey’s Anatomy rerun brought in a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demo and this week, the repeat got a 1.1 rating. That’s essentially what My Generation attracted in its second and final week on the air. Based on My Generation’s week-to-week performance and the drop-off of viewers during each episode, it’s reasonable to expect that the freshman show’s numbers would have kept falling.

Since airing a repeat is cheaper than producing a new episode of television, ABC made a smart financial decision — at least in the short-term. They’ll no doubt soon find something else to run in that slot.

In the long-run, they’ve potentially alienated a few million viewers by once again abruptly ending a show. Hopefully, ABC will make the remaining six episodes of My Generation available at some point, either on Saturday nights or online. They won’t give fans any closure but most would agree that it’s better than nothing.

What do you think? Do you still want to see the unaired episodes of My Generation?

Canceled and renewed TV show

26 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Dottie says

I liked the show and I would like to see the remaining shows. It was in a good time slot, I don’t know why it did no make it..

2. says

My daughter and I are fans of My Generation. We were enjoying the show and were very upset when we couldn’t see the 3rd episode. Please make the remaining episodes available!!! We were enthralled w/ the characters.

3. Anonymy says

I can’t believe they cut the show; I worked at that time so I had to dvr it but it didn’t mean I didn’t watch it you can’t leave us hanging like that I am the generation of my generation and their aren’t that many show’s that I can relate to I’m really dissapointed in you ABC you let me down yet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ginny says

It’s hard to find a show that both me and my husband can watch together.. and we liked this one.. very dissappointed.. they didn’t give it a chance to gain viewers.

5. Cafe Corner says

My husband and I enjoyed the few episodes we did see. We were greatly saddened to hear it was being dropped, we were just getting into it : (

6. Laura says

I loved this show and I am extremely disappointed about the cancellation. It was a show that was different than everything else on tv which I loved. Plus there are not a whole lot of 20 something shows out there right now that are relatable. It is all doctors, crime shows, and vampires. Sad to see another inventive show pushed aside. *sigh*

7. Kirby says

I absolutely LOVED this show just from the first episode! I really hope they will reconsider or another network could pick the show up.

8. Anonymous says

My husband and I are really sad by the cancellation of My Generation. I absolutely loved the show. It wasn’t like any other conventional show out there and the stories were just starting to develop then ABC axed it. It wasn’t given a chance to pick up viewership. And I will be glad when Grey’s Anatomy runs it course it’s so old now and take Brothers and Sisters, and also Desperate Housewives with it. But that’s just my opinion.

9. Bertha says

I agree that it’s better than nothing…Thay should give it another chance or just put it on Saturdays or online for viewers to watch..maybe more people will get in to it…i really was starting to like this show and i wanna know what happens next , so please ABC give it another chance!! (:

10. LuckyDuck says

This show was so contrived! I doubt they’ve alienated a few million viewers because I doubt a few million people had any attachment to the show, it was a smart move to take it off the air. This is My Generation we’re talking about, not Pushing Daisies.

11. says

As the target demographic, I’m not surprised that ABC would cancel the show. I was enjoying it, and I only know of two other people who watched it. Since we are the transitional group from watching a show at a certain time on a certain day to watching shows when we want, Television studios are continuing to alienate us and at some point they will not be able to win us back.

I’m one who finds entertainment outside of Television, I’m down to only watching a handful (House Hunters, Design Star, Project Runway) of shows, plus the History Channel, and the rest I get via Netflix. If it wasn’t for my fiance I wouldn’t subscribe to cable television at all.

Each of the major three has disappointed me by canceling, prematurely, the shows I wanted to watch (Life, Studio 60, My Generation). There will be a time when I refuse to watch any television at all, and I will just be the beginning of the ever growing decline of viewers, but the television distributors can’t see this trend occurring.

Once this happens, advertisers will be, and already have begun, going to other non-traditional mediums. Gotta love podcasts. I’ve purchased more items due to podcast advertising than I have traditional television, Traditional TV studios are just shooting themselves in the foot by focusing on short-term gains versus long-term viability.

12. anonymous says

I was watching that show and thought it was pretty good…once again a show is abrubtly cancelled with no closure….why do the networks even bother if they are just going to cancel that quickly!