The Dresden Files: Sci Fi Series Cancelled After One Season

Dresden FilesAfter months of uncertainty, the fantasy/mystery series has been cancelled and won’t be returning for a second season.

The Dresden Files was based on a series of novels by Jim Butcher and followed the adventures of Harry Dresden, a wizard who helped the police solve cases. The show debuted on the Sci Fi Channel on January 21, 2007 and ran for 12 episodes. Though the series’ ratings weren’t very strong, a loyal fanbase had hoped that Dresden Files would be renewed for a sophomore year. That didn’t happen and Sci Fi has now confirmed that the series is done.

Perhaps not coincidentally, this news comes on the same day that its been announced that Dresden Files star Paul Blackthorne has joined the cast of new ABC drama Big Shots. Blackthorne will play a high-powered CEO that draws the envy of characters played by Joshua Malina, Dylan McDermott, Christopher Titus, and Michael Vartan. Big Shots will begin airing this Fall on Thursday nights, following Grey’s Anatomy on ABC. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

150 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. nicole says

Also just noticed that the post is 2007 but all the comments are 2010. Anyone know why it was so quiet at the time? Only stumbled on this the other day and none of my mates have ever heard of it.

2. nicole says

So sad they canceled this show! It’s also gutting that I can now choose which shows to watch based on whether they get cancelled – firefly, dead like me, The dresden files.. RIP.

I bet if Buffy was put out now they’d cancel it a season or two in and look how much money that made! I know crappy reality shows are cheap but for the love of God please let good shows put out at least 5 seasons. It’s just too sad :(

3. Diana says

I don’t get it!! I just rented the entire Dresden Files first season and watched it like crazy!! I loved it! and my family did as well. I don’t understand why it would be canceled. I had never heard of it before, so maybe if it was on another station in would have a bigger fan base. this is an amazing show and i hope they reconsider

4. jackie says

same story here, found the series on netflix, watched all 12 episode in just a few days it was just that good! hen researched getting the second season, and boom, i find out it was cancelled in 2007!!! syfy abandons shows way too quickly, its not enough time to advertise and get a fanbase. same thing happened to firefly serenty series.

5. Dawne says

Through Netflix I found season 1 of “The Dresden Files” . I fell in love with it and did a web search for season 2. Maybe they needed to air this show on CBS or NBC because I never saw it on Sci Fi. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there that would have loved this show if they only had the chance to see it. It’s a dirty shame that it never really had a chance. It was a great show with wonderful cast of characters. Now I have to find the books so I can see how everything turns out. I’m very upset to not be able to see a season 2. This show was along the lines of Charmed, Ghost Whisperer, and Medium. The Sci Fi channel really dropped the ball on this one.

6. Ju Joh says

I didn’t even know this show was on when it originally aired.
    I just saw the series on Netflix, and both my wife and I loved its mixture of detective story and fantasy. I started researching and now found that the show is cancelled!!
    What a terrible move on part of SyFy!

7. Jeff says

Roger that. I don’t think I ever knew it was even on until years later then I thought it had to be crap cause it was made by syfy(thedevil). I mean can you blame me, 99% of the time, crap, but every once in a while something like the invisible man or dresden make it through. It’s almost June 2010 and I just got done streaming dresden through netflix…what a great freaking show. Jesus you’ll put flava flav and little rich brats like OMG!! but you cancel dresden??? Unbelievable.

8. Noah says

And I thought SYFY couldn’t get any more ridiculous and they go and destroy a good show. C***Suckers.

9. says

I think that The Dresden Files Television Series was one of the best programs ever featured on the Sci-Fi or Sy-Fy channel. I was one of the few semi-geek type guy’s who watched the TV series before I read the books. I am eternally grateful that Jim Butcher hasn’t CANCELLED (for know good reason) the books because the sci-fi channel has been a big disapointment (It was a great show guy’s). Keep it up Jim, the Dresden series just keeps getting better and better!!!!

10. fawaz says

i saw the full series. i just saw the last episode and i am so disappointed that there is no second season of such a wonderful series. dated 03/28/2010

11. David says

I dont understand why it was cancelled, it seems sci fi or syfy whatever the hell it is made sure it was quiet, it really makes me mad and i refuse to watch sci fi or syfy anymore because of it the only good series on there station and they cancelled it. I love dresden files shows and books I hope Jim keeps writing ’em.