The Unusuals: Debut Numbers Disappointing; Keep It or Cancel It?

The UnusualsLast night, ABC’s The Unusuals debuted in the post-Lost timeslot. The network’s had high hopes for the quirky crime drama but many critics have deemed it to be “usual” fare at best. What do viewers think?

The Unusuals revolves around a unique group NYPD detectives that all have secrets. They also have twisted senses of humor, which is helpful since every day could be their last. The series stars several TV show veterans like Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia), Adam Goldberg (Head Cases), Harold Perrineau (Oz), and Terry Kinney (thirtysomething), as well as Jeremy Renner, Kai Lennox, Josh Close, and Monique Gabriela Curnen.

Last night, the Unusuals premiere attracted 6.84 million viewers and a 2.2/6 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. That’s better than last week’s Life on Mars finale in overall viewers (5.86 million) but it’s essentially the same rating/share in the demo. These aren’t the numbers that ABC was hoping for.

On top of that, there was a significant drop off midway through the episode. There were 7.44 million watching when the episode began and by 10:30, 1.19 million had dropped off. That’s not a good indication that those people will return next week.

Considering that a premiere typically represents a show’s best numbers, none of this is a very good sign for the show’s future.

Did you watch the show and if so, will you be back for more? Worth keeping or time to let it go already?

Barbara Sheehan August 27, 2010 at 7:42 am

PLEASE BRING THE UNUSUALS BACK!!!!!!! I Love this show. The characters all click and the story lines are great! I like the fact there is not a lot of sex and gore…Why do shows like this always have to be canceled.

Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

i loved it i never got to see it when it aired, but i did get to see it on net flix, i wish it would come back, it needs to be on usa, tnt or fx that would get better ratings….

Doug M August 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm

It would appear that the decision to cancel the show was driven by a personal problem on the part of a high ranking exec at ABC. The time slot was changed “mid-season” to kill the show and ensure that it would not garner ratings or a loyal following. It really stinks that a good series with such potential was flushed AFTER ONLY 10 EPISODES! If ABC really wants to appeal to a broad and low spectrum of viewers, try nude roller derby.

Barbara Boeh July 18, 2010 at 7:01 am

The Unusuals was by far a better show with better writing and better acting than that lame show on now called the “Good Guys”. That show(Good Guys) is HORRIBLE, and definitely one for the round file!!! Bring the Unusuals back!

Neolithicman July 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I LOVE the unusuals. After all of my favorite shows being cancelled (Lost, Firefly, Southland) this show is giving me hope, and at the same time breaking my heart. Also, Jim Red, you have earned my respect by having your pic be Captain Mal

William Traenkle June 7, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I loved this show and I was stunned when it got canceled. Who makes these decisions anyways???

susie June 7, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Great show!!! great entertainment!! I loved it!!

Claire Adrienne May 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I am sick that The Unusuals got cancelled. It was so funny and so well done. Jeremy Renner – this year nominated for an Oscar? And Amber Tamblyn, one of my favorite actresses. Why didn’t they give it more time? It was so much better than many other shows that are still on.

Chris April 3, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I don’t care who picks it back up, just as long as someone does. And if i don’t get the network… thats OK i WILL buy the DVD

Loved this show!!

I want more!

Gloria March 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

I sent an email to TNT awhile back asking them to pick it up. They picked up Southland. Send them an email.

Brenda Benacquista March 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm

the networks are always cancelling the wrong shows, instead of critics, ask the people what they like to watch…………………

John William Chalus March 7, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Gaurav you are correct. The show was so good. Amber Tamblyn is so good. The rest of the cast is also tremendous.

Gaurav March 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm

One of the best shows period.

SEAL76 February 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I thought the show was great. I have no idea why it should have been canceled. All of the cast members performed perfectly. It was a quirky show but with a style all of it’s own. Please bring it back. Amber Tamblyn is great.

Jim Red February 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Screw the “snotty” critics. This show was off-beat, odd and very fun. You chumps at ABC realize that not everything must be “Real Life and Death”. Look up the history of MASH, Cheers, Home Improvement; all slow startersall which became the Gold Standards. Hey ABC, don’t take up gardening you don’t seem to have the patience to “watch things grow”.