Go On: Matthew Perry Sitcom Cancelled

Go On TV show ratingsFriends ran for years but Matthew Perry can’t seem to get to a second season. NBC has cancelled Go On after one season. Perry’s other recent efforts — Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Mr. Sunshine — were also cancelled after one year.

Go On revolves around Ryan (Perry), a sportscaster who returns to work after the death of his wife. His boss (John Cho) doesn’t want him back on the air until he undergoes counseling. Ryan reluctantly joins a support group with one goal in mind: to get in and get out. He discovers that he might be able to help the other members of the group and they might be able to help him as well.

The sitcom also features the talents of Allison Miller, Julie White, Laura Benanti, Suzy Nakamura, and Tyler James Williams.

The sitcom started out strong in the ratings, thanks in part to have the Tuesday editions of The Voice as a lead-in. When the singing competition wrapped for the fall season, most viewers found other things to watch. When The Voice returned, the big audiences didn’t come back to Go On.

NBC tried airing Go On on Thursday nights — likely wanting to see how it could perform on that night next season — but it tanked.

The defacto series finale of Go On aired on April 11th, drawing a 1.1 demo rating and just 2.67 million viewers.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC cancelled Go On and that there won’t be a second season? Would you watch Perry in a new sitcom?

Leslie October 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’m bummed, this and the New Normal were my two favorite TV shows. My husband and I watched them weekly, via the DVR, but we watched them. They were both so funny! It is my understanding that DVR recordings are not included in the ratings count so how can networks realistically get an idea of how many viewers are actually watching the shows. However, it seems like all the shows I like normally get cancelled. Thank goodness for the library, I can always find a good book to read. TV is becoming less and less important for me. I like Grimm – I hope they don’t cancel that show!

Austin Elizabeth June 24, 2013 at 9:57 pm

how upsetting. First GREAT comedy in years that was relatively clean and it was cancelled!
I loved owen and….well >.< ifg his name but the crazy one. haha. was so hysterical! my family and I watched it weekly

Jess May 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I really enjoyed Go On. It was funny! Too bad I was definitely looking forward to a new season :(

Julie May 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I’m SO SAD!!! I loved this show!!!!

teshia May 24, 2013 at 2:01 am

they are crazy go on was one of the best comedy shows ever beter than friends and the whole cast was talented its not all aobout the rating remember family guy hope netflix renew it

slw May 18, 2013 at 3:45 am

I’m upset also! I watched the show or recorded it regularly & really liked it. Have always liked Matthew Perry & wish they wouldn’t keep doing this to him. The low ratings were most likely because of the shows on other networks it was up against & when it was moved because the new location had the same problem. Why don’t the networks learn that alot of people are home on Friday & Saturday nights (contrary to their belief), and would be prime locations to try out shows for ratings.

k k May 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I loved the show

jj goode May 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I was a fan of GO On. Hopefully Perry will land a role in an upcoming series soon. I work at DISH with friends who are probably bummed out over the cancellation, too. At least I have all of first season (and now entirety of the show) saved to my DISH Hopper, so I’ll be able to go back through and re-watch the season whenever I need a laugh. I won’t have to get rid of it anytime soon, either, because my hard drive can store up to 2,000 hours of entertainment.

Yasminda May 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I’m really upset. This show was awesome and the New Normal was great too. I’m really disappointed that they cancelled this show. I looked forward to it every week! The good shows always get cancelled fast!

karen jones May 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Not in the least sad to hear the news….very immature material, much like anything matthew perry does! I wasn’t a big fan of Friends either…waaaaay too immature for me!

Lisa May 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm

You know… bad enough The New Normal was cancelled, which I liked… but this how? Absolutely hilarious and one of the best/funniest shows I’ve seen in years! It definitely deserved a second season. So disappointed in NBC right now. #bringbackGoOn (Go Tweet that!)

Jt and ad May 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm

This completely sucks… Such a good show. Maybe netflix will pick it up?

mr k May 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm

horrible news. tbs should pick it up or some other network . it truly was a gem, seth morris and brett gelman are great caracter actors, well the whole cast was great. big mistake NBC
SMH