How I Met Your Mother: CBS Sitcom to End After Eight Seasons?

How I Met Your MotherNot since Friends has there been a more tightly-knit group of sitcom characters than those on How I Met Your Mother. It’s hard to imagine what the show would be without Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segel, Josh Radnor, or Neil Patrick Harris.

Well, we might find out in a few years. In a recent interview with GQ, Segel noted that he has three years left on his How I Met Your Mother contract. The actor/director/writer intends to leave the sitcom when that time comes.

He said, “It’s an amazing place to be. But when you become an actor, part of it, the secret part of it, is that you don’t want to work a regular nine-to-five job. And the secret part of a TV show is that it’s a nine-to-five job. And eight years is longer than any relationship I’ve ever been in, it’s longer than any school I went to. I think after eight years, I’ll feel like I honorably did my commitment.”

Should Mother continue without the whole cast?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Segel continued, “It’s funny — it’s the greatest problem in the world to have. Jeez — I’m the luckiest guy in the world. But when your idol is Peter Sellers, playing one character for eight years isn’t what you’re trying to do. I don’t really feel like I have that much more to offer with this character. Maybe if we got divorced or something — but that’s not gonna happen. It’s gonna be some iteration of, like, my TV wife opens the fridge, and she’s like, ‘What happened to the birthday cake?’ And I walk in with a little frosting here [points to corner of mouth] like, ‘What birthday cake?'”

CBS, 20th Century Fox TV, and the show’s producers haven’t commented on Segel’s intention to leave but he’s probably not the only one. The other actors’ contracts also expire at the end of season eight. The fivesome signed a new contract in 2009 that brought their per-episode salaries to $90,000-$120,000 retroactively and extended their commitment to eight seasons.

The higher-ups could be planning on ending How I Met Your Mother after eight seasons or they could opt to continue on with as many original castmembers as they can get and/or afford.

What do you think? Should the sitcom continue without the core cast intact? Does season eight sound like a good place to end it?

Ashley December 12, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I agree, Season 8 should be it. I hope they do the show justice in the end. I always thought it would be funny if the girl from the dating service that Ted stood up in season one turned out to be the mother.

J December 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Also how old are these kids? They’re in their late teens by 2030, so they need to be born fairly soon. Unless ‘the mother’ is just some drunk girl at a bar Ted knocks up in season 10 (at the latest), people would not be happy. End it. End it good

J December 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I’m sticking with the majority, don’t do a scrubs here. Don’t drag it out american-style, know when to stop. Give it an awesome ending

SteveH October 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Look,i love this show probably more than anyone else in the world! Said in a Barney style, but if the show is funny and people are loving it, why not go on until the feeling is, damn, this feels like the end! I realise the fine line between not enough and too long, but this is funny as hell!!! We`ve seen a better sitcom than Friends and dare i say it Scrubs! Well, maybe on a par with Scrubs if not HIMYM being better. These actors are like spoiled brats at times! I love every actor and character but do they not realise who the most important people are? The fans!!!! If it stops being funny it stops being funny, but dont kill it till it gets there!!!!!

Pat October 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I love this group. I think it should go on and on !

Adam Decker September 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I think that the show is good. I just hope that they do reveal who the mother is and don’t give it a Sopanro style ending where he’s staring at the camera at his kids mother and they never show who it is. I still don’t think that they’ve met yet and as soon as they do meet, the ratings will drop and the show will end which is why it might not even last 8 seasons. Besides, with the style of the show it is with the constant flashbacks that have never been filmed before, you’ll know it’s flawed if an actor is missing. Just look at when Lily was gone in the main storyline. She wasn’t anywhere else either. That’s why they have to keep all the main cast and with just one of them gone, the show will end. But, by that point, at least they should tell us who the mother is.

AndyC. September 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm

In reply to “Hi”, you’re wrong. You can’t write anyone off, especially with the group all being so tight-knit.

Now that season six has begun and it looks [SPOILER ALERT] like we will meet the mother before the end of the season, eight season might be enough (sad to say).

Hi August 11, 2010 at 12:15 am

I think right when Ted is about to say who the mom is, he should have a heart attack!

lmfao JK, i would be so mad. But if one member goes, the show is over. Inless it’s Robin, she would be the easist to write off.

Eh July 24, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I was wanting a spin off with Marshall and Lilly…Maybe Barney will get a spin off with Robin…. in either case you can use it as a sort of inbtween storyline type show.

eddie July 17, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I love this show and think its awesome, But…. i think id rather see it end at Season 7. 8 seasons sounds to long to me, Ted has got to meet the mother sometime.

Joe July 12, 2010 at 8:46 am

I think it’s a good idea to end it at season 8, finish it while everything’s still good. I absolutely love How I Met Your Mother, and it will be sad to say goodbye, like it was with Friends. But 8 Seasons is good for me!!

Herb Finn July 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Consitering that this is a show CBS almost canced after Season 2 and Season 3 it’s become a moderate hit because the network didn’t get rid of it. The oft told story is of the 3 key players at the network, two like it and the other doesn’t.

I honestly don’t see it going past 8 seasons becuase I can’t see CBS paying to keep everyone around for an extra season or two.

Roy July 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm

i love this show, and it is always hard to see a show end. I still miss scrubs. Anyway rather it end good than horrible.

david182 July 7, 2010 at 6:13 pm

after 8 years just end it, its a great show still funny why kill it by making it go on and on and with new people, just make the last years super funny then end it!

CJ WEST July 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I think it is a good show, but eight years is long enough. Its time to meet and know the mother.