Man Up!: ABC Pulls (Essentially) Cancelled Sitcom

Man Up! cancelled and pulledABC has pulled their ratings-challenged sitcom, Man Up!, from the schedule. While their pulling the surely-cancelled series certainly isn’t much of a surprise, the timing is a bit odd.

Starring Christopher Moynihan, Dan Fogler, Mather Zickel, Henry Simmons, Teri Polo and Amanda Detmer, Man Up! debuted on October 18th and attracted an underwhelming 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.78 million total viewers. The second week saw the demo drop by 17%, followed by a 10% decline in week three, and another 6% after that in week four. This week’s installment, the show’s eighth, hit a series low with a 1.6 in the demo and 4.82 million.

Man Up! has averaged a 1.9 in the 18-49 demo and 6.44 million. It’s the network’s second-lowest rated show this season (just below Body of Proof and just above already-cancelled Charlie’s Angels). On our ABC ratings report card, it has a “D” and the way things were going it was due to drop even further.

Last month, ABC announced their mid-season schedule and Man Up! was scheduled to go off the air by January 3rd, replaced by a cross-dressing workplace comedy called Work It. At that point, only 11 of the 13 episodes of Man Up! had been scheduled to air. Now, ABC is leaving five installments on the shelf. Until Work It takes over, reruns of Last Man Standing will fill the 8:30pm timeslot.

Considering that we’re heading into the holiday season, when viewership is typically lower, it’s a little odd that the network would bother pulling Man Up! a few weeks early. Still, if ABC is considering airing the remaining episodes during the summer months (as they sometimes do with failed shows), it makes sense to have more episodes in the can than just two. Either way, this show is certainly cancelled and won’t be coming back for a second season.

What do you think? Will you miss the Man Up! sitcom? Why do you think it didn’t catch on? Should ABC run the extra episodes during the summer or just forget them?

Sherry December 31, 2012 at 8:21 am

Man up was awesome! Made me laugh and laugh! I’ve been watching it on Hulu plus and sad that it didn’t have another season! So bummed!

Sandy November 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

PS: Luckily I still have the four episodes on my Tivo. Clearly this show was never given a chance for people to find it. Maybe it just appeals to people like me who generally don’t watch ABC. Maybe NBC can pick it up since The Office is in its last season. It’s as good as The Office in my opinion. I will miss The Office, but at least it was given a good long 10 year or so run.

Sandy November 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

I loved this show! I didn’t find it until the last four shows and have been wondering why my tivo was not recording new shows this season. Just found out it’s canceled!!! I’m so disappointed. Literally, Man Up was the only show I watched on ABC besides Suburgatoy and I was so happy to find such a hilarious real show that had nothing to do with garbage reality tv and talent shows. I’m 41. At least Suburgatory came back this season, but I was really looking forward to Man Up. The shaggy little chubby guy was my favorite character.

Liz June 12, 2012 at 7:01 am

Loved this show! Just as good as modern family and the middle!
Please bring it back!
My husband and I loved this show!
Been watching our recorded ones over again!
Characters were hilarious! Great mix of characters!

Wasn’t given a chance for people to hear about it!

Liz June 12, 2012 at 6:54 am

My husband and I are in our late fifties and we wished we had found this tv show
earlier! I don’t think they did a good job of letting viewers know about this new show.
It was hilarious and you really got attached to the characters.

I would love to see them bring this show back!

We recorded some of them and have watched them again.

Great show! Wasn’t given a long enough chance for people
to let others know about it. I started telling people to watch
the show but before they could start watching it, it was cancelled.

Just as good as last man standing and modern family!

James June 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm

This show was the funniest new sitcom on TV! I wondered what the heck happened to it. Hilarious stuff! Bring it back, even if only to finish showing what’s already been shot.

braulio May 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

My wife and I love this show very funny please bring this show back

S February 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Got to be kidding me I loved this show better than all the crap on abc

Sue February 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This show was hilarious!!! Different from the other sucky shows on tv and seriously funny!! We laughed so hard and now it’s cancelled and abc execs are the doucheketeers!!!!! Try it again please!!!! We loved this show and cherish all the dvr recordings, you assmigos!!!!

alex February 11, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!! My husband absolutley adored this show! i cant believe there cancelling it. It has to keep going! I’m so sick of all the other shows about couples. This was one of the perfect shows we were actually excited about. Everythign else on tv sucks.

Chris February 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I loved this show. It absolutely is on par with Modern Family in quality.
ABC killing it is just another example of why Networks are losing out to the likes of Cable stations. They refuse to let shows find their markets.

LISA LEE February 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Is it a waste of time to write here? Who reads this? Just in case it matters I thought I would write. As an avid TV viewer I can tell if a show will do well but in the wrong time slot. This was an AWESOME show but MAYBE not in the wrong slot but followed by the worse show in history. What is Tim Allen thinking…Last Man Standing SUCKS!!!! It is horrible. You put a great show followed by a horrible show. That is the problem. Not the show. Smarten up ABC

Trin January 28, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I’m so bummed this show was cancelled. I’m late on the bandwagon, because i never heard of it till i was surfing on Hulu Plus!
Best Show…i wish i could possibly continue on Hulu Plus or Roku…please?

Cheryl January 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Man Up was totally one of the best shows ever. Put in a bad time slot. Wasn’t given much of a chance.

another4one83 December 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Just another good show get f**** off…… it was semply hillarious……… Go to hell ABC and hope youre rate as a TV be the lowest !!!