Red Widow: New ABC TV Series; Cancel or Keep It?

red widow tv show cancel or keep?ABC hasn’t had much luck Sundays at 10pm. GCB was cancelled last year and 666 Park Avenue was dropped this season. Has the network found a winner in Red Widow or will it be rubbed out as well?

Red Widow revolves around a suburban mom whose husband is killed after he steals from the Russian mob. She finds herself caught between the interests of the mobsters and the FBI. The cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The two-hour series premiere on March 3rd drew a 1.5 rating with 7.13 million total viewers. It was a disappointing start to be sure and Red Widow was in fourth place in its 9pm timeslot.

Compared to the debut of GCB one year earlier, the network was down by 32% in the demo and down by 6% in viewership.

In week two, the ratings fell about 25% and registered a 1.1 demo rating and 5.31 million. Last week’s installment dropped again, to a 1.0 rating with 4.36 million.

It’s currently the network’s lowest rated series currently on the schedule. Unless the show’s ratings quickly rise, Red Widow is surely doomed and won’t see a second season.

On the positive side, ABC will surely let all eight episodes air. The last episode of the season (and likely the series) is scheduled to air on May 5th. Hopefully the finale will give viewers some sense of closure.

But what do you think? Should ABC cancel Red Widow or renew it for a second season instead? Why do you think it hasn’t caught on? Is Red Widow a better show than the ratings seem to indicate?

Marcy April 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Love the show.

Barry A. April 12, 2013 at 2:23 pm

My wife and I like the show very much. We were disappointed when there was an interruption last week. Now we don’t know which episode is showing on which date.
Anyway, we tape the shows because of the “late” hour. We then watch it the following night.
I think you’ve captured the actors parts well. When I get emotionally involved in the show, by disliking what the characters are doing, you’ve drawn me in.
We would like to see Red Widow stay on the air.

carole i April 12, 2013 at 11:58 am

I really like the show. Cant believe its on the chopping block!

Lelia April 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I absolutely love the show and look forward to seeing a new episode each week! Please don’t cancel it.

Lisa April 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

PLEASE RENEW THIS SHOW!! It’s just getting started and has soooo many possibilities, not to mention the significant chemistry between Schiller and Marta. That’s not easy to create and very key to the intensity of the show. PLEASE PLEASE GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE, it will grow, it will gain!

Sheila April 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I was so disappointed this past Sunday to see the PILOT replayed. I LOVE the SHOW and am anxious to see all of the episodes and even MORE. Great actress and actors!! Please keep it going

albert & barbara oneil April 8, 2013 at 12:58 am

RENEW !! IT HAS BEEN VERY ENTERTAING SHOW & DESERVES BETTER CHANCE…GOOD

Yeager April 8, 2013 at 12:09 am

I find this show to be unique & quite addictive. ABC should renew this and get rid of their reality shows.

Karla April 7, 2013 at 11:20 pm

KEEP IT!! I actually really like this show and would love a second season!

Jessica Garza April 7, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Please renew, I love the show.

Claire April 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Please renew. Can’t believe the ratings aren’t higher. One of the better major network shows

jerry April 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm

keep the show.its very interesting and the characters are very solid

jan April 2, 2013 at 7:01 pm

don’t cancel redwidow- not that you’ll listen to us. put it on a saturday night when there is absolutely nothing 0n. this is a good program and i’m so tired of getting hooked and left hanging. realty shows are so stupid and a waste of my time. cancel these.

Dougus April 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Yes, the storeyline of Red Widow idls unrealistic and teetering on campy, but the overall show is worthy of being picked up for at least a full season. The characters qre begining to fill out and you can’t fault the show where drama and suspense are concerned. We, the viewers deserve a complete first season. The script is pretty good and the acting is superb! I believe the show will find it’s audience especially inthe time slot following Revenge.

Maria April 1, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Please renew! This is an amazing show. I wait for it more than Revenge now……