Surviving Jack: Christopher Meloni Sitcom Cancelled by FOX

survivingjack02Christopher Meloni had a long run on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit but his FOX sitcom didn’t last. Surviving Jack has been cancelled after one season.

Surviving Jack revolves around Dunlevy family. A no-nonsense father (Christopher Meloni) starts tough-love parenting his teenage kids (Connor Buckley and Claudia Lee) while his wife returns to college (Rachael Harris). Others in the cast include Kevin Hernandez and Tyler Foden.

The series was originally supposed to have 13 episodes this season but the network cut the order down to eight installments. That’s never a good sign.

Surviving Jack has been drawing poor ratings on Thursday nights, following American Idol. The six episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.35 million total viewers.

The series finale is scheduled for next Thursday, May 15th.

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Surviving Jack? If you ran the network, would you have cancelled this sitcom?

Canceled and renewed TV show

223 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Frances Christenson says

First of all, Surviving Jack definitely was not advertised or promoted well at all! And just for the record, i watch tv all day long onto the wee hrs of morning!
    I didn’t know about this show till I was flipping channels one day and happened to see Christopher Meloni! I love SUV and knew he had left. I had never seen a funny side to him til I saw this show. Just like the guy on “Coach” (sorry-forgot his name). After seeing him in serious acting rolls, I was surprised he had a funny side which was great to see and enjoyed that part of him also! Too bad another station didn’t pick it up. I really is it.
    As far as I’m concerned, Fox failed the people! When I first saw it, I was so excited about it and asked family and friends about it and they had never heard of it! AND if followed by American Idol, I never saw any advertising for it much less clips!

2. Jeannie says

You finally get an ACTUALLY funny and enjoyable sitcom and you cancel it. My husband and I both really liked watching it. Chris is funny and compelling. I liked him on L&O SVU but never thought of him as being capable of comedy. Bring it back!!!!

3. mjm says

You people at Fox are idiots!!!! Get rid of some of the reality crap you have. Did you even look at the rates of the show. IDIOTS!!!!

4. says

Me and my no sense of humor wife watched every episode! She laughed at everyone of them. Fox! Seriously! If you care about a fellow man who’s wife scares him with her dry and sadistic sense of humor PLEASE put it back on the air! I also loved the show! It brought back a lot of childhood and teenage memories! Canceling that show was a huge mistake! Bring it back! PLEASE?!!!!!

5. Anonymous says

That sucks! I watched every episode. I loved that show, plus social distortion as the song, awesome. Fox you suck!

6. Angie says

I can’t believe this show was cancelled! I laughed so hard at every episode. The dynamic between Meloni and Buckley was a great thing to watch. So sad to see it go :(

7. Anonymous says

I loved that show!!!! I watched it on Hulu and did not understand why no more episodes were available for so many months. Then I decided to google it and found it had been cancelled. It was such a funny show. So sad it was cancelled.

8. Very Furious says

Let me be F***ing honest. I have watched over 150 American TV shows in my 20 years of living. Finding a show that will entertain the crap out of me is an arduous task, because most TV shows out there suffer from poor writing, lacking of well formulated plots, and sex appeal. “SURVIVING JACK” is officially my number 156 TV show that I have selected to watch. Not to mention that 130-plus of those TV shows had come to a successful end. Why am I saying this? I know no body cares about my idiotic list, yet, I believe it gives me the credibility to say if a show is worse watching.

“SURVIVING JACK” is absolutely worse watching. Why in the mother F***ing world those FOX goes out its way and cancelled one of their most promising TV projects. This shows if renew is going to be big, and if given some time it would grow in audience. People need to know about this show, therefore, if FOX wants more than 4.5 million view-rs per episode it has to advertise it, and take my word it would grow.

I have much to say, yet little time to write. Thereafter, I will like to call out FOX and notify them of the Gold (Au) that they are sitting on, just have to bring “SURVIVING JACK” back to airing TV.

9. L. Steve Varnum says

Fox channel has some great shows. I kind of wish this one had been shown on another channel because if it had been we would be looking forward to another season. Come on Fox this is one of the great ones.