2006 Cancelled Shows: CBS Cancels a Few Favorites

Tom Cavanagh in Love MonkeyCBS is playing it particularly safe this fall. The Tiffany network is introducing only four new shows, therefore sticking with most of its current schedule and canceling few programs. The few casualties (mostly sitcoms) of the 2005-06 season are:

Courting Alex – The quirky show starring Jenna Elfman and Dabney Coleman started as a mid-season replacement show but never quite caught on. The eighth of the 12 episodes aired in March and the show has been off the schedule since.

Love Monkey – The Tom Cavanagh sitcom was pulled from the CBS schedule after only three episode airings but VH1 started airing the remaining five episodes in April 2006. Viacom owns both VH1 and CBS and no further episodes have been ordered.

Out of Practice – This doctor-family sitcom starred Henry Winkler and Stockard Channing on CBS’ big night of comedy. Unfortunately, it didn’t perform as well as How I Met Your Mother or the more recent The New Adventures of Old Christine. To date, 14 of Practice’s 20 episodes have aired and has been off the air since January 2006.

ThresholdStill Standing – After four seasons and 88 episodes, CBS has pulled the plug on this family sitcom. The last episode aired on March 8, 2006. There was no official closing episode produced but reruns will begin airing on Lifetime in the fall.

Threshold – CBS’ answer to science-fiction programming (ABC had Invasion, NBC had Surface…) didn’t catch on and was pulled from the schedule after nine of its 13 episodes had aired. You can however find all of the episodes here.

Yes, Dear – This family sitcom aired for six seasons and 122 episodes. Though you can find reruns in syndication, it will not return to CBS in the fall. It’s unknown if it was intended to be a series finale but the final scene of the sixth season featured a sentimental scene between Greg and Jimmy. TV Series Finale home page

sean October 31, 2006 at 1:28 am

i can not believe that they cancel acording to alex out of practice still standing and yes dear and for what so they could put all these one hour crime shows on i am not saying i do not like crime shows but come on how many do we need you need to spead out your network cbs so there is a little something of everything and not to much of one like to many crime show maybe one day you will listen to your viewers and when you do maybe you might be the number 1 network again

Kevin October 27, 2006 at 1:04 pm

WHY would you cancel KING OF QUEENS? It’s the funniest damn show on tv. We are SICK of all the crime & drama shows. If we want to see crime & drama we will look out the window or turn on the news.
KING OF QUEENS was a much needed funny and relaxing break in our lives. THE WORLD NEEDS MORE LAUGHTER!
I guess now we will have to rely on old Seinfeld reruns.

marie October 25, 2006 at 9:04 pm

what happened to SMITH I loved that show why would they cancel it……who are these jerks at the network…but they keep shows like survivor so lame

Roger Haynes October 25, 2006 at 5:10 pm

Please don’t cancel King of Queens. It reminds me of the relationship I have with my wife. We love it when Doug does something stupid and Carrie catches him. I think many families can relate to this show as they are dysfunctional, but warm and loving too.

Sincerely,
The Haynes Family

Randy Gomes October 22, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Another show that deserves to die is King Of Queens. Leah Remini hit the wall after having her first child. She is now a fat loudmouthed cow who is unfunny and painful to look at. The show that should also die is Two and a Half Men with that woman beating whore monger wife and drug abusing Charlie Sheen. The only watchable Tiffany show was Still Standing. I savored every episode and it left much too soon.

geri October 19, 2006 at 9:16 pm

So sorry to see “King of Queens” leaving the air. I’m a displaced New Yorker and I’m going to miss the show for nostalgic reasons as well as good entertainment. It had a long run, I think it could have gone on a bit longer, but, it is what it is. I agree with many of the responses, it seems as though all of the good comedy and entertainment shows are gone. Now we’re stuck with those stupid “reality” shows, I am still trying to figure out who is watching them, because no one I speak to admits to it. I hope it won’t be long before we can get back to real entertainment. Good fortune to the cast of “King of Queens”.

cheryl October 19, 2006 at 7:25 am

DO NOT CANCEL KING OF QUEENS!~THAT SHOW IS SO FUNNY—–ITS LIKE A MODERN DAY JACKIE GLEASON AND AUDREY MEADOWS “THE HONEYMOONERS” KEVIN AND LEA
HAVE THE PERFECT CHEMISTRY!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ann October 18, 2006 at 7:27 pm

I can not believe the show Smith was cancelled, everytime a good one comes out, it goes. Yet, they keep the crap reality shows, and stupid sitcoms. Who rates this stuff?? Who decides what is a good show, and what gets cancelled? We got DVR just so we can record shows like, CSI, Smith, Vegas, Medium. What a rip. I think TV just gets worse every year. :(

Lora October 16, 2006 at 7:23 am

Okay here is my take on all the shows that are being cancelled.

Smith Loved the show, hate to see it go. Studio 60, rumors it’s going as well. Ivasion, good show, sucks that no one gets to see what happened. Hated that they did that with the Guardian year before last. Everwood and Charmed were 2 of my favorite shows and damn they are gone too, although I don’t think Charmed had anything to do with it not having good ratings, it was just time to be over for them.

I know TV shows are put on opposite of each other to competitive purposes. But c’mon you put a new show on opposite of any CSI, Greys Anatomy, Law and Orders, House or any big show like that, they don’t stand a chance no matter how bad someone wants to watch it, doesn’t mean the show isn’t good. I am lucky enough to have a DVR so I record the shows I can’t watch, but if you tried taking off some of the reality shows and other crap, you could spread them out so everyone would watch them and nothing would have to be cancelled, I mean sometimes there are 3 to 4 great shows on at one time for example: On Monday nite At 7pm I am Not sure what happened to Prison Break,(one of my favorite shows) in it’s place is how I met your Mother and The Class,gimme a break, the class really sucks!! Then at 9pm, CSI Miami, What about Brian, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip all on at the same time. I betcha if you put one of those shows on at 8pm it would be just fine. I won’t go on any further but it is that way all week long. Except on Sundays, there isn’t a damn thing on until 9pm…somebody need to get someone on these networks that knows how to do a Channel Line Up….Good Luck, I hope somebody figures all this out sometime in the near future. Why should I have to chose between Criminal Minds,Boston Legal and Law & Order SVU……….IT Sucks!!

Cindy McKnight October 14, 2006 at 10:47 am

Please don’t cancel King of Queens my husband and I really liked that show. Your Monday night lineup was the best with King of Queens , How I met your Mother then Two and HAlf Men. we both never laughed so hard and truly enjoyed our time togehter. Now you have the Class which he won’t even watch so why not bring back King of Queens so we can be toghter. Why not cancel Survivor I never have watched that show nor do I plan to. Everythig always gets cancelled so why even watch TV. Then where will your ratings be.

Sherri October 11, 2006 at 5:57 pm

The new show Smith did it get cancelled? I scared to watch and new TV shows everything I like gets cancelled. First reunion, then invasion and is it now Smith?

MIke October 9, 2006 at 8:13 pm

You know I don’t have a clue who is running things up in TV land but canceling the good shows can not be helping these stations any. I mean we no sitcomes now worth Watching Tuesday thru Friday. Everything now is reruns or Criminal Justice shows for an hour or so… what happen to the tradition Friday Family shows? The shows that brought families together? The stuff on now I would not let my 16 year old watch… there is so much murder, crime, nudity, vaulger… etc. Seinfeld, Freinds, Two and a Half Men are shows that have a tone that stretches the limits, however, it works.

King of Queens… I liked this show as well as Yes Dear and now we say So long to these… Please tell me we are not entering a era of more crime based shows, or Wacky Alien sitcomes that are not cutting the edge of the surface… ENOUGH ALREADY pull some average Smo’s in and get back to the basics with a Story line that can last… to much to fast will result in to little to late… “As if you care what we think…” $$$$$$$$$$

TESSA October 9, 2006 at 7:26 pm

NO MORE KING OF QUEENS THIS IS CRAZY FIRST YOU CANCEL NOT CBS BUT OTHER DAWSONS CREEK FRIENDS EVERY BODY LOVES RAYMOND OUT OF PRACTICE O AND WILL AND GRACE NOW THE KING OF QUEENS WHY CAN’T YOU CANCEL SURVIVOR THAT SHOWS BLOWS BIG TIME!!!!!BESIDES KING OF QUEENS STAR KEVIN JAMES IS SO HOTTTTTTT

Mark October 6, 2006 at 3:54 am

I liked still standing, Yes Dear, and now I hear that King of Queens is going of the air after this season. They are getting ride of a lot of great shows.

mary October 5, 2006 at 7:13 pm

King of Queens got me through a difficult period of depression. Laughter is the best medicine. The combination of this ensemble has been fantastic. If you can keep it going, please do. I think this show helps us all of us to just laugh!!!