My Name Is Earl: TBS Not Buying Jason Lee Sitcom, Staying Cancelled

My Name Is EarlNews recently surfaced that, in light of NBC’s cancellation of My Name Is Earl, TBS was interested in picking up the show for 13 new episodes. The cable channel currently airs the first three seasons and is scheduled to add season four in the Fall.

Unfortunately, all sides weren’t able to come to an agreement so there won’t be a fifth season of the sitcom. The Hollywood Reporter reports that series creator Greg Garcia and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV decided not pursue the deal after looking at the necessary budget cuts. Meanwhile, the LA Times believes that TBS felt they wouldn’t be able to afford the show and cut the discussions short. Either way, the end result’s the same.

Yesterday, actor Ethan Suplee (Randy on Earl) indicated that the deal was still possible. On Twitter, he wrote, “I heard TBS MIGHT stand for TheBestStation.” Earlier today, he changed his tune and wrote, “TBS isn’t TheBestStation for reviving Earl. Good news is I’m now available to play Shia Laboof’s better looking brother in Transformers 3.”

A little while ago, 20th Century Fox TV issued a statement that said, “Greg Garcia’s brilliant My Name Is Earl kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more.”

“While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that Earl will continue.”

“We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of My Name Is Earl for their incredible work.”

So, the sitcom is apparently over. Unfortunately, the viewers have been left hanging. If you had your choice, how would you like to see the Earl story concluded?

ANIMAL March 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I think it should end with Earl finishing his list and then he has good karma and he lives his life with good karma, nice house, and let us not forget, finding out who Earl Junior’s dad is!

Josh February 8, 2014 at 5:47 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK. Very dissapaointed

Anonymous February 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I’m pretty upset that season 5 didn’t air! I just started watching this even tho it’s been years since the first episode aired

Mary December 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Needs to end with list being finished resulting another lottery win. Maybe a movie to conclude it

Darius smith October 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Im mad that was the perfect show and w e shoul totally take a poll! Fuck nbc

loulou September 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm

My son got us watching the show on Netflix. Wished we would have watched it when it was on the air. A really great show, how do you end a show with that kind of cliff hanger. The show needs to be brought back to life so that everything can be resolved. Maybe they can make a movie out of it. I know we would go and see it.

Anonymous August 22, 2013 at 3:23 am

At least make one more episode or make a movie concluding the show.

Michael August 12, 2013 at 4:16 am

Screw NBC, I NEED that show to finish, who the Ƨrap drops a show On that note, We should do the Internet poll tand if the majority of the people want more we should have it

Steven Libardi July 27, 2013 at 4:43 am

I am severely disappointed how stations just and a series without including the series. My Name Is Earl was a good show and even if the ratings when low because a bunch of idiots decide to set a show that has higher ratings to make another show get off the air. Guys know what I’m talking about. So they need to finish the series so we’re not left hanging on who the baby daddy is. Once again thanks to all the douchebags in the world that don’t know how to finish a series and leave the rest of us fans hanging!!!

Austin July 7, 2013 at 3:17 am

Why would you stop showing this it was so good and then you stop it in the middle
Of something everyone’s been wanting to know since the beginning
Can you atleast give one more season that’s so messed up why would you
Leave a cliffhanger on the last episode and never let us find out
Who’s dodges dad ? Why doesn’t Darnell have the same DNA
As earl jr ? All this and you just stop such a let down…..

Joe Smith August 2, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Earl is his dad

mike June 1, 2013 at 1:59 am

You guys suck for not finishing this show! Wtf! Really? You guys just give up? This show couldve thrived and made the profits but i think someone threw their power around and threw a lil fit, but who am i? Just a fan of a great show that has me wondering what happened. Someone needs to buy the rights to this show and finish it. Write a book damn it!! Ill read if it means i find out what happened.

Jennifer April 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I was just watching Season 4 on my Kindle and all of a sudden…to be continued. How can they end it like that? Who does Earl Jr. belong to? If you’re not going to bring “Earl” back at least finish the last episode.

Anonymous March 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Man, i was really looking forward to finding out how earl would deal with his son!

Jacob February 28, 2013 at 5:01 am

Ya lets make an Internet poll to show them all the viewers who still want to see more.

Anonymous February 28, 2013 at 4:57 am

We need to take an Internet poll, and show those bastards at NBC all the viewers that there missing out on!