My Name Is Earl: TBS Not Buying Jason Lee Sitcom, Staying Cancelled

My Name Is EarlNews recently surfaced that, in light of NBC’s cancellation of My Name Is Earl, TBS was interested in picking up the show for 13 new episodes. The cable channel currently airs the first three seasons and is scheduled to add season four in the Fall.

Unfortunately, all sides weren’t able to come to an agreement so there won’t be a fifth season of the sitcom. The Hollywood Reporter reports that series creator Greg Garcia and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV decided not pursue the deal after looking at the necessary budget cuts. Meanwhile, the LA Times believes that TBS felt they wouldn’t be able to afford the show and cut the discussions short. Either way, the end result’s the same.

Yesterday, actor Ethan Suplee (Randy on Earl) indicated that the deal was still possible. On Twitter, he wrote, “I heard TBS MIGHT stand for TheBestStation.” Earlier today, he changed his tune and wrote, “TBS isn’t TheBestStation for reviving Earl. Good news is I’m now available to play Shia Laboof’s better looking brother in Transformers 3.”

A little while ago, 20th Century Fox TV issued a statement that said, “Greg Garcia’s brilliant My Name Is Earl kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more.”

“While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that Earl will continue.”

“We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of My Name Is Earl for their incredible work.”

So, the sitcom is apparently over. Unfortunately, the viewers have been left hanging. If you had your choice, how would you like to see the Earl story concluded?

sarah June 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I’m sad

Mike June 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I am really tired of having networks string loyal fans along year after year with good shows that have unresolved questions at the end of their seasons, only to mercilessly terminate these shows when it appears that their next seasons, or even a few episodes to respectfully conclude the shows, might be ratings losers! How about showing some respect for the viewers who have invested both their time and emotions into watching these shows, and have made the network a lot of money season after season! Because of these practices, I have found myself less and less likely to watch first-time airings of new television shows… And I actually find myself watching less and less television overall. If I get hooked, I might get the rug yanked out from under me in the middle of… See what I mean?
My Name is Earl was a good show that I would like to have seen run for many more seasons. It was a quality show that made me laugh and let me forget about my troubles for 30 minutes each episode. I don’t know how I can say it any more simply than that. Is anyone out there listening (reading)? If you are, then find a way to at least respectfully conclude this series… And if possible, breathe new life into the show for a 5th season, or possibly more.

Jorge Lopez June 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Very disapointed on how I found out that there is no Season 5. How can you end a TV Show with “to be continued..” stuff like that doesn’t happen. You need to make atleast one more episode stating what happened.

Dennis June 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Look this is just wrong.. how can a network expect us to watch there shows when they just leave us hanging like that… Just like nbc did with Jericho.. and when they made em finish it that fast tracked the show so that it made no since. CBS you need to finish the 5th season.. you need to have it run to a conclusion, Or just do a followup movie.. whatever it takes to keep your fans..

raudel rodriguez June 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm

its great to find out im not the only one who has finished my name is earl on netflix and still are hungry for more…
this is the second time i have been dissappointed by a cancellation of a tv show the first was the season finally for prison break and NOW my name is earl!… this gots to stop right now and they should finish the tv show or MY NAME ISNT RAUDEL RAODRIGUEZ!!!
im spreading my word and standing up for this show and actually do somthin for a change!

midoooo June 10, 2010 at 9:50 pm

please make a new season it is one of the best shows ever

Tara June 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Please at least let us know who Earl Jr’s Daddy is. I just finished it up on Netflix on my PS3 (I don’t have cable) My Name is Earl is the funniest show I have seen yet. This is a big disappointment to me that there is no season five…

Leon Grundling June 7, 2010 at 5:56 am

Please please please, just finish “My name is earl” i just want to see what happens at the end of his list, I’m the biggest fan i swear it….. I’ve watched it a million times, can’t get enough of it…. Please reconcider to finish Earl…

Susana June 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I just finished watching the last episode of the series in Netflix. This is the most hilarious show I’ve ever seen and I regret that I didn’t bother to check it out sooner. It seems that it has suffer the same fate of other brilliant tv shows that didn’t survive the ruthless TV business. I just remember what an actress one said “tv is 99 percent about business, one percent about art”

“My name is Earl” will be remembered.

Sean Mcdonald June 6, 2010 at 1:28 am

i think it’s ******** that nbc canceled my name is earl its was a really good show and it was only thing watched on nbc besides snl i still watch the reruns and watch it on netflix on my 360 hopefully some network will pick it

Norman R. June 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

I just started watching it with Netflix on my xbox 360 and im very disapointed to find this out. : ( <— thats not a sad face. its a really sad face. screw fox. the simpsons isn't funny anymore.

Rachel A. June 4, 2010 at 7:43 am

Please continue the show! i want a proper ending.

Johanna Diaz June 4, 2010 at 7:39 am

I am heartbroken! i can no t believe that ‘My name is earl ” is really over :( I was looking forward to watching season five and finding out who Earl jr’s real father is really we were left with the urge to see more its like we were teased.
I hope they really consider season five the show is just the funniest ive ever seen and it sure made my afternoon’s fun.

Tyler Brooks June 4, 2010 at 1:33 am

Continue the Show! The views will have a greater income rather than setting the show up.

Alexa Sherry June 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I have been watching “My Name is Earl” every night on reruns. I heard of the show from my sister that has viewed it from the beginning; it was her favourite TV show. Now, you cancel it before a real end clearing up the loose ends. Who is the father of Dodge, is it Earl? Who is Darnell really? Will Randy marry the Caminiti girl? I like stories to have an end.