My Name Is Earl: TBS Not Buying Jason Lee Sitcom, Staying Cancelled

My Name Is EarlNews recently surfaced that, in light of NBC’s cancellation of My Name Is Earl, TBS was interested in picking up the show for 13 new episodes. The cable channel currently airs the first three seasons and is scheduled to add season four in the Fall.

Unfortunately, all sides weren’t able to come to an agreement so there won’t be a fifth season of the sitcom. The Hollywood Reporter reports that series creator Greg Garcia and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV decided not pursue the deal after looking at the necessary budget cuts. Meanwhile, the LA Times believes that TBS felt they wouldn’t be able to afford the show and cut the discussions short. Either way, the end result’s the same.

Yesterday, actor Ethan Suplee (Randy on Earl) indicated that the deal was still possible. On Twitter, he wrote, “I heard TBS MIGHT stand for TheBestStation.” Earlier today, he changed his tune and wrote, “TBS isn’t TheBestStation for reviving Earl. Good news is I’m now available to play Shia Laboof’s better looking brother in Transformers 3.”

A little while ago, 20th Century Fox TV issued a statement that said, “Greg Garcia’s brilliant My Name Is Earl kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more.”

“While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that Earl will continue.”

“We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of My Name Is Earl for their incredible work.”

So, the sitcom is apparently over. Unfortunately, the viewers have been left hanging. If you had your choice, how would you like to see the Earl story concluded?

picklefry May 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Man I loved that show I would do anything for it to come back on now will never know who Earl Jr dad is?.. :(

Jeremiah June 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm

its jasper

Jmtz78 May 27, 2012 at 1:09 am

Bring it back or else karma will kick you on the n*ts
And if you are a girl it will pinch your t*ts so hard you wish earl would save you

michele May 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I LMAO! The funniest show in a long, long time and am very, very disappointed that the show is cancelled and how dare you leave me hanging! You people need to continue the show somehow, some way. The perfect cast of actors, that doesn’t always happen. I say make hay while the sun shines! You’re all great actors and I will watch any of you in any genre. PLEASE…..we’re all waiting, waiting, waiting………

Povilas May 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’m from Lithuania, eastern Europe, and I agree with most of “My name is Earl” serial viewers, that NBC sucks for banning the 5 season of this serial. Thats not fair of viewers… WHERE IS JUSTICE???????

Jodes May 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Man, this sucks! What a great, hilarious show… I wish there was at least an animated series after season 4.

IwuvDean April 14, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Real pissed about the cancellation! What was NBC thinking?!
Keep up the good work greg.
And here’s an advice for all the tv show creators/writers: Never pitch your show to NBC if you want it to end on a high note or even have a proper ending!

ron turner April 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

oh my gosh. how do we get it back Dodges dad????????????
there are so many episode themes that even my Randy sized brain could come up with.
PLEEEEEEEEEEASE Help us.

Anonymous April 11, 2012 at 2:02 am

Bring.back the fucking.show

Jeffrey Ramos April 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm

What the hell come on I need to know who dodges
Dad is

Amanda April 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Bring back My Name Is Earl don’t leave us hanging! Who is Earl Jr’s dad?

Anonymous April 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

>:O UNACCEPTABLE!

mike December 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

My name is earl was an insiration to some as well I fell like I was like him too doing nothing but bad thing and that show made me actually believe carma (not as much as earl but still). Also who the f**k is earl jr.’s dad? How can you stop there? Nbc is gonna get what’s coming to them for cancelling “my name is Earl”, same with tbs for not picking them up for another season its called carma

ham54 May 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

whats tbs

Sharen J. December 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I am not surprised that Greg Garcia, with his many talents, is still very active in the sitcoms of 2011. I only wish they would not of end the very clever and funny ” My name is Earl” sitcom. This is one show that could bring a smile on my face through what every life would through my way. Thank-you Mr. Garcia for keeping the spirit alive.
Miss you and the gang of MY name is Earl!!!

Mary December 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

Who is dodges dad!! I’m pissed. My name is Earl is my favorite, bastards.

sdfsdf January 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm

It was earl. We never found out who earl jr.’s dad was.

Skippy November 24, 2011 at 4:47 am

Why why why… I am from South-Africa… And Earl, Randy , Crapman+ Mr turtel… Was a gr8 show and can’t believe that is gone!!! I wane see the end and how Carma hlp Earl and his friend … And when Earl fin his list… What hapen next… Plz just one more sesion to end it all… And give the team that worked so hard on the show just one more final goodbay… I think they desirve it…