Nip/Tuck: FX Series Cancelled But Not Ending Soon

Nip/TuckAt today’s Television Critics Association presentation in Beverly Hills, FX’s president surprised many by announcing that the popular Nip/Tuck series had been cancelled. On the positive side, there are still quite a few new episodes on the way.

Nip/Tuck premiered back on July 22, 2003 and tells the story of two plastic surgeons, Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Julian McMahon). The series mixes drama with satire and irreverent humor as the doctors take on often strange cases. Nip/Tuck was initially set in Miami, Florida but the characters moved to Los Angeles at the start of the current season, the show’s fifth. The series was recently praised by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) for its ongoing use of homosexual characters.

Today, FX president/GM John Landgraf told reporters that the network had ordered 19 episodes for the drama’s sixth, and final, season. That order’s a few less than a traditional TV season but it will bring the series’ installment total to 100 episodes. Series creator Ryan Murphy will stay on board until the end as the showrunner.

Should Nip/Tuck be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When asked about the cancellation, Landgraf noted that he felt it was time and doubted that any FX show would surpass 100 episodes. He said, “If you tried to do 150 episodes of The Sopranos, you would begin to diminish the quality of those shows. The David Chases (The Sopranos) and Shawn Ryans (The Shield), they’re taking on social commentary and grand sweeping questions. If we want to go after that brass ring, we have to accept they have limited shelf life.”

Though the move may be a disappointment to devoted fans of the plastic surgeon series, casual fans won’t realize the show has been axed for some time. There are actually 27 new episodes yet to come. Only 14 episodes of the fifth season have aired thus far with the remaining eight scheduled to begin airing in January. The sixth season is expected to begin running in 2010 and not finish airing until early 2011. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

tim July 23, 2009 at 6:46 am

i cannot believe this show has been cancelled :-( I mean my brother and i who LOVE this show have heard the rumors and were worried about this day :-(…this is the only good show on tv…its so twisted and awesome! i love julia! i wonder what is going to happen with her…UGH I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE TAKING IT OFF THE AIR!! jesus! this sucks…i have been a loyal fan from the get go! and will stick by it until the end! i loved last season…it was like the first and second season…the 4th on…eh i didnt care for lol…but still watched!…..i guess this all part of growing up…chapters in our lives….i will miss this show when it ends in 2011 :-(

Kim S July 21, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I liked Nip/Tuck when it was first aired but last season of Nip/Tuck sucked!!!! Were the original writers sleeping? I wouldn’t watch it again if you paid me!! I mean how much disease do you need to shove down our throats? Don’t we have enough in the real world. The show used to be very good but now…. :(

molerat July 21, 2009 at 4:42 pm

come on people…do not cancel it…the best show… I am waiting like 4 months to the new episodes and now this comes out…

Chiante Williams July 21, 2009 at 12:07 am

I feel your pain. I love watching this show with my husband as well…ahhh the memories

corina July 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm

i never use to watch this show but i heard good things about, and decided to give it a chance and have never stopped watching it ever since got my boyfriend involved in it to as well, now, i wish i watched it from mthe beginning hate to see it leave

anonymous July 16, 2009 at 2:50 pm

i can’t believe they are cancelling the show, last season wasn’t all that great, but they can take it so much further with other stuff that has been happening. i really wish they would reconsider because i wait all winter spring and summer for this show to return and it’s gonna suck if they do ultimately take it away.

shelley July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I and all my family Love this show were on the phone after every episode to guess what happens next and rarely ever right! Made my Tuesday nights! Keep it on!

ashley June 27, 2009 at 1:39 am

Im so sad this show is coming to an end!!! I watch it faithfully and have always eagerly anticipated each season. I have all the seasons on DVD…I now have all my friends addicted to it..and when new episodes do appear my friends and I have nip/tuck tuesdays, and we have a huge potluck.
Kittyradio.com they do have season 5 part 1 on DVD they split season 5 into 2 parts due to the writters strike that happened…

bonna June 26, 2009 at 5:02 pm

this show is hot, a time whare me and my husband actually watch and spend time together!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

really gutted this is an excellent series and me and a friend are glued it !!!is so original and well acted the story lines are so original and shocking at times. Dont know why fx have been so silly probably the best thing they have shown and would never watch that channel normally. shame on fx

mel June 23, 2009 at 10:23 pm

i totally agree this IS CRAP!!! nip tuck is seriously the best show never gets old i watch the reruns like crazy. How can they end the last episode like that wtfffff!!!!
what the heck seriously….
why cancel really… like why. screw FX

amanda June 23, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I love niptuck sooooooooo much it is my guilty pleasure this show can not end!!!!

ammie1978 June 23, 2009 at 6:32 pm

this is crap!! who do I complain too about this!!! i cannot live without my fix of Christian Troy!!! i hate FX i’ll never watch this channel again after nip/tuck goes off!!! jerks!!!!!!

Kari June 22, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I am sooo bummed!!! This show mmad me laugh and kept me guessing all the time!!!! I was totally in love with Christian Troy……what a scream…….he cracked me up….a man that can be that big of an asshole and still have all the ladies want him…..that is some writing……..I definately will be lost on Tuesday nights without my Dr. Troy……very sad….make a movie…..I will be a walk on!!! lol

Chris June 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Great show, always kept me surprised and on my toes!! Never the same old thing! Going to miss Sean, but especially Christian! Why do they have to spread the final episodes out just put them all on so we don’t forget what is going on!