Working the Engels: Cancelled? NBC Pulls New Thursday Sitcom

Working the Engels TV show on NBC: canceled?It looks like the Engels are out of work. NBC has pulled their new Working the Engels sitcom from the schedule. Has it been cancelled?

On Working the Engels, a family of ne’er-do-wells must band together to keep their heads above water when their lawyer patriarch dies and leaves them with a mountain of debt. The cast includes Andrea Martin, Kacey Rohl, Azura Skye, and Benjamin Arthur.

The peacock network has pulled the series from the schedule effective immediately. They’re replacing it with additional airings of Welcome to Sweden — another new Thursday sitcom that’s better rated and has already been renewed for a second season.

There’s no word on if NBC will ever put Working the Engels back on the air but things don’t look good. The summer is nearly over and NBC has already announced their plans for fall. What’s more, they don’t have any incentive to bring it back. Working the Engels’ ratings have been very poor and they’ve been dwindling lower each week.

There are seven episodes left unaired so hopefully for the fans of the show, NBC will release them at some point. Either way, it’s nearly certain that they won’t be wanting a second season.

8/20 update: The series has been cancelled by NBC and Global TV in Canada as well. The series was a co-production of the two and apparently it didn’t perform very well in Canada either. The network noted that “numbers were not strong enough to warrant a second season.”

What do you think? Did you like Working the Engles? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Would you watch the remaining episodes?

cara November 14, 2014 at 4:14 am

I loved the show and felt it got better each episode! Everytime a new comedy sitcom starts that is actually funny it is cancelled before word of mouth gets around. Most people don’t give a new show a look until it’s in it’s second season and they’ve heard good things. Anyone remember “Up all night” and “Perfect couples” both hilarious with great casts! Both cancelled (by NBC I belive) before they had a chance! I hope someone important reads these and takes a second look at who is making the decisions! I will add this cancelled show to the growing list that has me reaching for more epic seasons of pre-aired shows recommended by friends, over my tv remote!!!

Jennifer September 8, 2014 at 9:23 pm

LOVED IT! Laugh out loud funny. Very sorry it’s gone. Stupid, shortsighted NBC!

Marcia Richard September 1, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled this show without giving it a chance. You didn’t even show all of the episodes and I know an Actor who was in one of the episodes that wasn’t given the chance to air.

DA Davis August 28, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I’ve always found Andrea Martin hilarious, so I was excited to see she had a new sitcom. Finally, figured out when it was on, tuned in to find back-to-back episodes of “Sweden,” and now I see it’s been axed. Seems like a ridiculous waste of money and talent to take something off the schedule before it’s had a decent chance to find its audience. This may explain why I never end up watching NBC.

Bethany August 25, 2014 at 5:09 am

I literally watched an advertisement for this show, within an hour of NOT SEEING THE SHOW!!!! LOVE the show, so of course they pulled it. Why would they bother keeping any show that actually gets ratings during a time of year that nobody is watching tv? Well, I enjoyed watching Sweden, but was a bit sour, since the show between the two that I prefer would be The Engles. So I guess I should not bother getting invested at all in NBC primetime during summer months. I am sure I won’t be seeing Sweden again soon enough as well. Just more time to watch Netflix and cable. Such a smart decision to drive viewers away from your channel so quickly.

Anonymous August 22, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Glad to see it gone. Sweden is better.

P.K. August 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I agree with Marisa. I can relate with the humor in Working the Engels. Each character had something going on. It was fun to watch. I hate when a show gets me hooked and is cancelled out of the blue. At least show the rest of the episodes!

Marisa August 21, 2014 at 10:11 pm

VERY disappointed to see that this show was cancelled. Don’t care for Welcome to Sweden. I feel that Working the Engels episode one was weak but the subsequent episodes were better and better -VERY FUNNY, while subsequent episodes of Sweden were weaker and weaker. Was disappointed to see an additional episode of Sweden instead of my Engels tonight. I cannot stand the canceling of shows this early on. NBC -please reconsider! This show was hilarious!

Anonymous August 21, 2014 at 7:26 pm

It made me laugh. Sweden – not so much.

ND Mitchell August 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I guess I will be on the lookout for the entire series via Netflix.

M. Morgan August 20, 2014 at 3:15 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE This show…Please give it a chance…..SO funny, Love Andrea Martin..Much funnier than Welcome to Sweden, but I watch both..Bleh!

carol August 20, 2014 at 12:27 am

NBC YOU SUCK. if its a good show then its the first to go. it had just started out and was finding its footing. i am so sick of watching shows that i begin to really enjoy and then have them cancelled

Rose August 20, 2014 at 8:53 am

I totally agee with M. Morgan AND Carol. Nbc you DO SUCK! You kept that stupid Welcome to Sweden … why? Is some big shot there Swedish?
Working the Engels is so much funnier and of course you go and cancel it. Who is the idiot in charge there? He needs to have HIS/HER contract cancelled.