Blood Ties: Will It Return for Season Three Or Has It Been Cancelled?

Blood TiesDespite being on Lifetime for less than a year, supernatural drama Blood Ties has developed an intensely devout following. Still, the last two episodes of the season were aired online only. Has the series been cancelled or will the vampire return for more adventures?

Blood Ties is a Canadian series that’s based on the books of fantasy author Tanya Huff. Set in Toronto, the series follows private investigator Vicki Nelson (Christina Cox) who left the police force when she began to lose her eyesight. She ends up partnering with mysterious Henry Fitzroy (Kyle Schmid) who turns out to be a 480-year-old vampire and the illegitimate son of Henry the VIII. The two slowly become attracted to one another, a situation complicated by Vicki’s relationship with her former partner, Mike Celluci (Dylan Neal).

The show premiered on March 11, 2007 on Lifetime Television in the U.S. and began airing several months later in Canada. While the first season of 13 episodes was still airing, Lifetime ordered a second season of nine more (the 22 episodes were actually originally produced as a single season). Lifetime had other programming scheduled for the summer months so the “second season” didn’t begin airing until October 12, 2007.

The show aired as part of Lifetime’s “Psy-Fridays” line-up, alongside Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead and America’s Psychic Challenge. According to TV Guide, because the other two shows ran out of episodes, Lifetime opted to rework the night’s schedule and relegated the two remaining Blood Ties episodes to an online release.

Lifetime hasn’t officially cancelled the show but the “online exclusive” treatment is usually reserved for a series that’s finished. So, if Lifetime cancels the series, is that the end? Maybe, or maybe not.

There is already interest in continuing the series among Canadian broadcasters but a U.S. partner is likely needed to help with the financing. Without that backing, we could have a rerun of what happened to the Falcon Beach teen drama last year. When ABC Family decided against a third season, it wasn’t financially possible for Canada’s Global TV to pay for Beach on its own and the show was cancelled.

If a new U.S. channel is found, Blood Ties executive producer Randy Zalken says the series will certainly be back. He told Eonline, “The sets are still available – they’ve not been destroyed – our talent is very eager to come back, and our show runner, Peter Mohan, is standing by.”

Zalken doesn’t believe the ongoing writers strike would be standing in the way if Blood Ties were to get a season three greenlight. He said, “I don’t think the strike is going to hurt us, because Canadian writers are not hindered by the U.S. guild rules. So, we can be delivering new shows for the fall – I guess that’s more than a lot of [U.S.] producers are saying now.”

Nice as that sounds, Zalken may be underestimating the WGA support of Canadian writers. Blood Ties author Tanya Huff had been writing episode commentary for the Lifetime website but stopped in support of the writers strike. Blood Ties screenwriter Denis McGrath is a solid supporter of the WGA strike as well.

For now, we may have to wait until Lifetime makes a final choice to either cancel or to renew the series. Part of their decision may hinge on how well the Blood Ties reruns perform next month. The entire series will be rerun on weekend nights beginning Saturday, February 9th. Will the vampire series rise again? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Elizabeth May 2, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Really hope this show comes back. They have left the show at such a crucial moment that it would be a shame to cancel it. As soon as the seasons were available on dvd I snapped them up and always made sure to see the shows on tv/internet. Believe me, this is one of the many shows on tv now that I actually like. The rest make me lose interest so fast it is not even funny.

Bobbi March 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I am a big vampire movie and book fan…. I just finished watching season 1 and 2 of Blood ties and would reall y like to see a season three….. you can’t just leave it like that , we need to know what happens, if you are going to end a series , please at least wrap thing s up have a final season let us diehard fans know what happens to everyone.

Bren March 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Just watched all 22 episodes of Blood Ties and couldn’t get enough … would love to see the show returned!

ASHLEY March 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I just found out about this series, and i love it. I cant believe there is only two seasons! Has anyone heard if they are going to return with season three? I so hope they do!

lorraine March 3, 2010 at 2:59 am

I have virgin in demand and have just watched almost all the episodes back to back. My daughter also loves this programme, she thinks Henry is cute. I just watched the last episode and cant believe that they have just left it the way they have and not made a follow up. Please make another series its brilliant. I have been watching being human which is about vampires and wherewolves living in normal society, however this is boring compared to Blood Ties.

Dustin Dover February 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm

please bring blood ties back to air on tv so that the series can be completed it is not fair to the viewers who love this show much less to the people who spent there time and money into producing this series. Its a awesome series that best most shows now of days. I ask that the show returns to make season 3 even more awesome than it already is. How can you allow a series to be on air and not let the series be finished out. Thats like a slap in the face to the viewers much less the people and the writer who made this show. I beleive tanya huff made an excellent series and i hope the series will come back soon.

Blood ties aussie fan February 5, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Just finished watching the second series.Has anyone heard any more about what is happening with a third.I loved it and watched the two series in 2 days and boy are my eyes red :)

Tori January 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Hello, I’m from Bulgaria and I can’t believe that there isn’t a 3rd season !!! I saw one episode on TV and yesterday and today I watched all of the episodes! This is one of the best… maybe the best film I have watched!!! I really, really want to see more … the underground mysterious and secrets, the jokes and quarrels between Henry, Vicki and Mike and of course to know what is going to happen with our lovely triangle… I hope soon there will be good news and there will be a 3rd season. :)

lyn January 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I have just watched all of Blood Ties to the end of season 2. It was fantastic! I love the will they/won’t they between Henry and Vicki… the finale was too much to bear what a way to end the season with no season 3 waiting in the wings. Surely from all the comments its easy to see this programme has quite a following and people would love to see more. Henry is a gorgeuos vampire character and much better looking than other vampire rivals on TV. I think the other characters are also brilliant and make this show what it is. Mysetery, suspense and the supernatural – brilliant! I hope that the canadians find an american TV channel that are willing to provide the extra funding needed to make a 3rd season. Twilight is great, but i detest that awful series called True Blood with a dodgy old vamp called Bill (lets face it, he is hardly sexy or appealing) I watched 2 episodes and i wasn’t impressed, Its far to over sexed and generally trashy, especially that horrible accent – yikes! Bring Blood Ties back now!!!

pam January 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm

There was a comment in the above writeup that the last 2 episodes were available only online. WHERE online? How can I see them?

admin January 10, 2010 at 9:32 pm

@pam: When the article was written, two years ago, the episodes were posted online by Lifetime. Since then, they’ve been played on TV with the rest of the episodes.

Edith January 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm

If you want to watch the second or the first season of Blood Ties go to http://www.mylifetime.com . You should be able to watch them if you have good internet. Then click on ‘ ON TV & VIDEO. Then you go to the right of the page and scroll down until you you see blood ties. It has a few commercials but it’s good quality.
I LOVE HENRY MCFITZROY DUKE OF RICHMOND XD . Real person research him :)

Danielle October 26, 2009 at 6:04 am

I am getting ready to purchase season 2 today, I watched season 1 yesterday and was totally hooked. I am counting on them making a season 3. From what I understand from other fans they left it hanging at the end of the series.I really hate when they do this with series, people get hooked than they cancel it. They did this with Dead Like Me and Moonlight.It seems like they do this with most of the paranormal shows that are on tv, but not with reality tv. So I am really hoping this show will be diffrent and they will bring it back. I don’t see how they could lose any money in doing so, I know there are alot of fans out there me included.

toddy September 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Just discovered the show in Australia. All my friends think its terrific. Already new about the books. Please we want to see a season 3.

Estarr September 27, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I hope it comes back. I would like to see what happens next. Although, mostly, I think I’m eager to see what happens concerning vampirism; a similarity I believe all we Vampire-show-viewers share.
*Estarr*

Hope September 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I really enjoy the show, I want to know how it ends. I would like to see it come back.