Deception: Cancelled, No Season Two

DeceptionIt looks like there won’t be a second season for NBC’s Deception. Deadline is reporting that the NBC TV series has been cancelled and is one of the first of the peacock’s shows to get the bad news.

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those weren’t great numbers but, for NBC, they’d be enough.

The ratings dropped by more than 20% in week two and they kept going down in subsequent weeks. During the course of its 11 week run, Deception fell as low as a 1.1 in the demo and 3.08 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and just couldn’t justify bringing the show back for a second season. Unfortunately, the defacto series finale, which aired on March 18th, left viewers with plenty of unanswered questions.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Deception has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Suga May 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’m so upset I loved this show. I tuned in every Monday. Sad to see it go

liz May 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I hate that the show is cancelled I was checking every week to see what was going to happen. I don’t think NBC gave the show a chance. Why not try it in a different day/time rather than just cancel it so quickly.

The show has a wonderful premise and enough of a story arc to last through all the episodes, and don’t get me started on the wonderful cast. I hate that the writers won’t have the opportunity to bring closeure to all the story questions.

I’m just sure that another station wouldn’t have given up on DECEPTION so quickly.

Laurie May 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I am disappointed in NBC decided to cancell this great show. Great storylines and actors. This is how NBC deals and I am happy that I watch ABC shows at least they have the vision on a great show DECEPTION.

Jnico May 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I loved this show….sucks!

dianne May 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I am very disappointed “Deception” is proposed to be cancelled. This is actually the first show I’ve been watching to have conversation with my coworkers at lunch and every one has an idea of who did what.
The actors are great! NBC should “not” cancel this show……….

Donna Pesce May 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I am soooo disappointed the show got cancelled. I thought it was great! They also left us hanging with no ending.

Lisa May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’m very disappointed that this show has been canceled. I enjoyed the story plot & characters. It would have been nice to have had a closing episode instead of leaving everyone hanging.

Sarah May 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

NBC will never learn. Their ratings probably couldn’t get worse except a couple of their shows. Idiots.

ric May 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

well Victor Garber seems to be the kiss of death for any show, anything he is in doesn’t last. It’s a shame too, because I liked the show, even with him in it.

admin May 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Are you including Alias?

Tha Critic May 9, 2013 at 2:26 am

It didn’t appeal to me at all, even before it started. Mainly because it was another show that has that one big plot that overlaps into every episode instead of each episode being about something else.

shuckclod May 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I liked the show, they never give anything a chance. I DVR all my shows.

L Martin May 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I am really disappointed about cancelling this show. It seems that some of the best shows don’t make it past first season. The most annoying thing is the network never has a closing episode to finish the storyline.

Jeremy Rynek May 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

This just in, Modern Family is renewed.

emaegf May 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

It’s ok they canceled it. I stopped watching it was repetitive. Same script each week it seemed to me.

denah May 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I love this show i think it stinks them taken it off they don’t even give them a chance it stinks .