King of the Hill: FOX Cancels Animated Show, No Season 14

King of the HillIn a somewhat surprising move, the FOX network has decided to cancel one of the staples of its Sunday night line-up. On the eve of Halloween, the King of the Hill TV show has been cancelled after 13 seasons on the air.

King of the Hill follows the animated adventures of the Hill family from the small town of Arlen, Texas. The family’s patriarch, Hank (Mike Judge), is a propane salesman who’s obsessed with his lawn and the Dallas Cowboys. His well-meaning wife Peggy (Kathy Najimy) holds several part-time jobs and together, they raise their husky teenage son, Bobby (Pamela Adlon). Other characters include niece Luanne (Brittany Murphy), neighbor Bill (Stephen Root), and conspiracy-lover Dale (Johnny Hardwick).

The series debuted on January 12, 1997 on FOX and quickly became a staple of the network’s animation line-up. Having survived to produce over 240 episodes, King has become the second longest-running animated series, following The Simpsons. It’s become very popular in syndication, both in the US and internationally.

In recent years, King has been on the verge of cancellation several times. Earlier this month, Gary Newman, the co-chair of 20th Century Fox TV, hinted to TV Week that it may be time to pull the plug. He said, “I don’t know if the network will be ordering more seasons or not. That show has had its last rites read to it several times, and keeps rearing its head again.”

Should King of the Hill be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This season, King has been averaging seven million viewers and a 3.4/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic, a far cry from the series’ heyday. Simpsons and Family Guy, the shows that air before and after, both attract better numbers.

Back in early April, FOX ordered 13 episodes for the show’s 13th season. Production is nearly completed on those and the network has decided that they will be the series’ last. The episodes that are currently airing are actually from the show’s 12th season. FOX won’t begin showing King’s final batch of episodes until February 2009 which means that, though cancelled, the series could end up on the network’s 2009-10 schedule.

King isn’t scheduled to have any kind of series-closing finale. Executive producer John Altschuler says that this is by design. If there’d been a series finale when the show ceased production in the past, it would have been difficult to revive it.

If this is truly the end of King, Altschuler feels good about the run but ultimately isn’t totally convinced it’s over. He told Variety, We’ve been here before… When it’s time for King of the Hill to go, it will go. But I think with the ratings this good, and with quality that doesn’t seem to be diminishing, it would be very odd for King of the Hill not to keep going.”

Influencing the network’s decision to cancel King, aside from the declining ratings, is the fact that FOX is hot to introduce two new animated series in midseason; Sit Down, Shut Up, from Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz, and The Cleveland Show, a spin-off of Family Guy. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

rodney hoop January 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

this is pure crap, cancelling a great classic to facilitate the arrival of the piece of shit cleveland show by that asshole seth macfarlane, damnit damnit damnit

Ben January 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

I have been watching King of the Hill since the start in 97. It is one of the only shows that I really do enjoy. It is a really clean show compared to that of Family Guy and even the Simpsons. But in this day and time that is probably the very reason it has been yanked. There is not enough sex, drugs, violence, and bad language. I hope another network steps up and picks the show up. There isn’t many good shows left on TV anymore.

BOB January 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm

OMG! They canceled King Of The Hill? What!!!?!!
I was wandering why there were no new episodes.
I have been still looking for new episodes.

And that’s exactly why I’M NEVER watching ANY NEW Series Tv Shows.
I’m only watching series shows that’s already canceled. That I download.

HOW DO RATINGS DROP?
I don’t recall getting to vote. Did you vote?

They always talk about ratings..well WHERE DO YOU VOTE ON THE SHOWS AT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly.. No one knows the answer. Yet somehow somebody gets to vote..
Probably some 65 year old lady watching wheel of fortune didn’t like king of the hill.
Well I’m over 30 and I think King of The hill was doing great. I BET no one here ever got one chance to vote for king of the hill.

HOW BOUT sending those TV Rating Boxes to people that are not stupid,actually watch tv,under 65, and not just watch something cause it’s on tv.
Give me my rating BOX Now! NOW I SAY!
So three old lady’s didn’t like it so you cancel it? wow..

How bout canceling that stupid Family Guy!
That show is totally stupid! Stupid I say!
You’ll be 35% stupider after watching it..

King Of The Hill was like a real show that was just animated. Family Guy is stupid & THATS apparently WHO GOT THE RATING BOXES huh.

and FYI: I’ve been downloading ALL the king of the hill seasons. So I can watch it at anytime.
and my PC2 is connected right to my tv.
So I don’t FOX for anything anymore.
I’ll be also downloading seinfeld,two&ahalfmen,mynameisearl, and all those other decent shows to. Just so I don’t ever have to watch fox again.

FOX is has now been Deleted from my TV.
I JUST CANCELED FOX! “I TELL U WHAT!”
Dang E dang O So long FOX!
You’ve been canceled.

Lisa January 9, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I looked forward to Sundays for the king of the hill how sad! Now just have to TiVo it !

Ray January 9, 2010 at 1:36 am

This was a great show. I cannot believe it was cancelled but the “retarded” family guy is allowed to live. Family guy is okay but it’s out there…..Well, if only Lady Bird could talk and date bimbos.

Dex Man January 6, 2010 at 3:16 am

I’m going to miss King of the Hill what I loved most about it is how it made fun of white people, and at the same time is liked to fabricate where man has fallen to being weak. I hope adult swim picks up the new seasons or keeps it going I love this show. *tear

Gary January 4, 2010 at 6:33 am

It was the best show on fox

Ryan January 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm

King of the Hill was the best show that FOX ever made. I love Family Guy, but King Of the Hill has been great, it dosen’t have to be funny, (though i laugh my ass off ever time Hank has to compare something to Propane) but it is a awsome show. It is sad how Brittny Murphy just recently died. I am going to miss King Of the Hill. I am very glad how Adult Swim kept the show on their scheadual every day at 10 o’clock

robert January 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm

i was one of the best shows on tv

Amie January 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

King of the Hill was hilarious if you have ever lived with or near any Texans. Granted it jumped the shark a long time ago but the first few seasons were damn funny. But humor is subjective. I thought Futurama sucked but to each their own.

lyphe liver December 31, 2009 at 8:26 pm

hey this show is funny ok it was wholsem and believable the situations were real life and not alot of useless crud tht other shows deliver dont misunderstand i like fam guy and ect but this show brought out the sanity in FOX and showed tht a cartoon cn be funy while stil being completly believable u jackasses

lyphe liver December 31, 2009 at 8:24 pm

hey u morons KOTH was absolutley the best show of all
it waqs wholesome and real wasnt al made up stuff dont get me wrong i enjoy fam guy american dad and especially futurama but koth was funny in its own rite wasnt al fiction

frank December 28, 2009 at 5:24 pm

king of the hill is a funny show and i think it should have stayed on

Matt December 25, 2009 at 4:11 pm

FOX FINALLY DOES SOMETHING RIGHT

They should bring back WAR AT HOME anyone remember that show? it was the shiit

But theyre too stupid to realize that

Tim December 21, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Not to mention The Cleveland Show, an absolute DISGRACE to human kind.

That needs to be cancelled immediately before anyone else wastes their time on such a piece of garbage.

Even American Dad is circling the drain and quite frankly, doesn’t need to be around for much longer.