Life Unexpected: Is It Possible the Series Isn’t Cancelled?

Life UnexpectedCould it be that there’s still a glimmer of hope for Life Unexpected? Back in early November, The CW declined to order a full second season of the drama. That kind of decision almost always spells “cancelled.” Combined with terrible ratings, well, the writing was on the wall.

Then, a month later, Warner Bros. announced the upcoming release of the new “Life Unexpected: The Complete Series” DVD set. If the “complete series” was going to be released on April 5th then season two was obviously the end of the TV show. Plain and simple.

Now, Warner Bros. has made a change to the upcoming DVD release’s title that has given some fans hope. They’ve renamed it “Life Unexpected: The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons.” Indeed, that does seem to leave the door open just a crack that the series could return for a third season.

More likely though, some nervous studio executives didn’t want to box themselves into a corner. If something crazy happened (like the ratings taking a big leap up) and they decided to order more episodes, they’d have a real problem with “complete series” packaging already in the works. The “The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons” title doesn’t commit to the series ending or returning.

Though the network and studio aren’t willing to publicly admit the show’s demise, some key people have said that the series is truly over.

Back in early November, star Shiri Appleby wrote, “I hate to bring the bad news but our little show is coming to an end. The cast, crew, and I thank you for all your support these past two years. It’s been a little slice of heaven!”

In late November, just after Thanksgiving, the cast and crew wrapped up production. At a recent event, Appleby talked about the special connection between the people working on the show. She said, “The day we got the email that the show got canceled, we were like ‘Okay, we’re going to be done on the 23rd; Thanksgiving’s on the 25th; we’re staying!… And we stayed in Vancouver; we had our last Thanksgiving together, and then we all left the next morning to go back to L.A.. And this is what I think was amazing: we could all be going home to our families, but we’re going to finish this job out with this family and then move. This is the kind of experience I want to continue to have in my life.”

Earlier this month, series creator Liz Tigelaar was asked why the show was only given a 13 episode order for season two and she responded, “it’s called being canceled. which sucks! :)”

Tigelaar and the other writers didn’t know about the cancellation when the script for episode 213 was initially outlined. Fortunately, they were able to make some adjustments that would essentially wrap up the series. She shared, “When I walked into the writer’s room to tell them we were canceled, I said I’m crying about fake people!”

A week before Christmas, Tigelaar wrote, “Just finished watching another cut of 213. I’m so excited for you to see it. Burst into tears with Sheriff Forbes from Vampire Diaries who was watching it with me.”

The last two episodes of Life Unexpected air on January 18th.

What do you think? How would you like to see the show end? Anything that you feel must happen?

Jennie February 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have recently uncovered the great findings of Life Unexpected and was instantly hooked! Being a teenager and all of that junk makes drama so much more addicting which is why it was like an insta love type thing! I don’t know what went wrong but before I had stumbled upon it on Netflix I didn’t have a clue what the show was! Now I want to know what’s happening with Cate and Ryan and Blaze and Emma! Oh and Lux of course who in the world could forget her?! I think its horse radish that such an amazing show would be cancelled:/

Tracy January 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

I came across this show on Netflix, and ended up watch all 2 seasons I one sitting. I love this show. Never did hear of it before seeing it on Netflix. So maybe it was a advertising mishap. If CW don’t want it maybe another network…. BRING IT BACK….

Amber October 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

I NEVER heard of this show until I also came upon it accidently on Netflix other then that I never seen it advertised.. I started watching the show became sooooooooooo addicted!!! And had to look it up too see if it was still on air.! I became so dissapointed to see it was canceled after ONLY two seasons… What the hell???? This show is so much better then all those that are still on air an sooo over advertised..!!! BAD BAD move!!!!!!!! BRING IT BACK.. An maybe hmmm do a little more advertising for it then see how it works!

lover September 7, 2011 at 2:12 am

I LOVED THIS SHOW I THINK THAT IT SHOULD COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WOULD COM NEXT.

Anonymous July 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I am bumed i became hooked on the show only to have it canceled when the season was getting good!!!

Karen May 18, 2011 at 4:56 am

Please don’t cancel this show. It is such a great show. I agree that the network didn’t promote it well enough. Listen to the viewers. Keep it and promote it. Thanks

Jin May 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

Great cast!!! Should stay on at least another season!!

Lauren grant May 7, 2011 at 3:46 am

loads of websites r sayin that ‘Life Unexpected’ is not coming back and loads say it is so im really confused but i hope like hell that it does come back cuz i loooooovvvveeeeddddd it.
”Juno meets Gilmore Girls” is the best quote to describe it <3
Please let there be another series plz plz plz plz plz plz

Ashley March 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Realy??? there Is so many pointless stupid shows out there!! & you guys cancel one of the good ones!!! bring It back… my husband hates my girly shows but this one he actually watched with me lol you got to get It back on air

Paul March 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Syfy’s Haven TV show, is the show coming back for another Season or not?

Steavy May 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Haven comes back July 15th

Cathy March 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

I waited anxiously every week for this show to be on again. I too have my DVR set to record it in case I have to be away or miss part of it for any reason. This was by far my favorite reality TV show.

I liked how all the characters were always growing emotionally.

Please bring it back!

Erin Thompson February 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING LIFE UNEXPECTED BACK THERE GOTTA BE A SEASON 3 AND MANY MORE SEASONS TO CONTINUE

Ronald D Meurer February 9, 2011 at 12:19 am

I Also really enjoyed show, it had great cast and good writing why was it cancelled. it should still be showing.

M. Moody February 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

I really liked this show, I too came upon it by accident while channel surfing one night. After that I may sure, I was on the cough each week at show time.
What didn’t they like about it?

Amy February 2, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I truly cannot believe this show was canceled, especially after such a great season!! This was by far my favorite show on TV. When I went through my DVR list of recorded shows for the week, I always chose this one first (even over those HUGE shows like Desperate Housewives and Dexter!) LU didn’t have high ratings not because it wasn’t a good show, but because the network did nothing to promote it. I happened upon it by accident while channel surfing one night, but have not seen any promotions for anywhere. Bad move CW. This was the only show I have ever liked or watched on the network. Guess I’m back to ABC and Showtime!

kathy hull May 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

im bumed, i enjoyed this show. it seems just when you like a show it gets cancelled!that really sucks!