My Name Is Earl: TBS Not Buying Jason Lee Sitcom, Staying Cancelled

My Name Is EarlNews recently surfaced that, in light of NBC’s cancellation of My Name Is Earl, TBS was interested in picking up the show for 13 new episodes. The cable channel currently airs the first three seasons and is scheduled to add season four in the Fall.

Unfortunately, all sides weren’t able to come to an agreement so there won’t be a fifth season of the sitcom. The Hollywood Reporter reports that series creator Greg Garcia and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV decided not pursue the deal after looking at the necessary budget cuts. Meanwhile, the LA Times believes that TBS felt they wouldn’t be able to afford the show and cut the discussions short. Either way, the end result’s the same.

Yesterday, actor Ethan Suplee (Randy on Earl) indicated that the deal was still possible. On Twitter, he wrote, “I heard TBS MIGHT stand for TheBestStation.” Earlier today, he changed his tune and wrote, “TBS isn’t TheBestStation for reviving Earl. Good news is I’m now available to play Shia Laboof’s better looking brother in Transformers 3.”

A little while ago, 20th Century Fox TV issued a statement that said, “Greg Garcia’s brilliant My Name Is Earl kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more.”

“While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that Earl will continue.”

“We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of My Name Is Earl for their incredible work.”

So, the sitcom is apparently over. Unfortunately, the viewers have been left hanging. If you had your choice, how would you like to see the Earl story concluded?

Amber October 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I was never able to catch the show when it was originally aired. I work such odd and many hours and was never in the same town each night that I would have not been able to find it on the cable listings before it was too late to watch it. I am an avid Netflix watcher and have fallen in love with Earl and his list. It is a funny and sometimes heartfelt series about life lessons and sometimes just plain stupidity. I wish that there was a season 5, however it is best to go out on a high note than a low one (before you jump the shark.) But who says you can’t make a 1 hour ending or movie to end the show. I would watch it. I know that Earl will never finish his list because he will always remember someone he’s wronged or something heinous that he had done and be able to add “just one more” list item. But I would like to find out if Earl is Dodge’s dad and have a bit of closure for the show.

MAD October 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I agree with all of you, also just finished S4E27 and had de’ja’-vu! It seems nobody can finish a great story anymore!! I can’t tell you how many movies I would have rated 4 to 5 stars until the ending just blew it for me and I ended up rating it just 2 stars!!! Nobody in today’s production seems to have any imagination when it comes to finalizing something!
Like Seinfeld’s ending sucked, we finally got a bone threw to us with Curb your Enthusiasm but still could have been better and had to wait well over a decade for even that. Now it seems they know they can’t end something, so they just don’t end it at all (referring to Earl ofcourse)! Maybe in a couple decades they’ll show earl an old man still working on the list, I wouldn’t hold my breath though.

Anonymous October 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Wtf. What happens next……

megan October 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

ARE you serious right now that was the closest tv show to relate to life! lol are u serious that you guy could not agree on the what channel to air the episode that is down right stupid i would have played them on the both channel so people who don’t have satellite could see them. and the same thing for the satellite people!

ACherry September 20, 2011 at 6:10 am

WTH?? This sucks. I also spent the last few weeks inhaling this show on Netflix and THAT’s how it ends?
Really?
That’s awful!! I’m very disappointed..

Clarice September 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm

This just sucks. I can’t believe this show was canceled! It is the funniest sitcom I ever watched. Like the rest of you, I just finished watching the entire series on netflix. I had seen many episodes on TV, but not all and wanted to enjoy the whole show.

It would be great if they did a movie to solve the cliff hanger and maybe give us some finality with the list even if we are left to believe that Earl will work on his list forever.

peterjay August 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm

sooo pissed of wish i hadnt watched the last episode now because its left me gutted that i dont know how everything ends. why say to be continued IF ITS NOT. Why start a great show for it not to be finished.

aj August 29, 2011 at 5:15 am

laaaaaaaaame i waisted all this time to not have a end

Adam August 18, 2011 at 11:48 am

Major sadface :(

Anonymous July 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

gggrrrrr make series five or else i wiill eat you with my eyes now do it you fu###rs

NETFLIX WATCHER July 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I JUST FINISHED SEASON 4 OF MY NAME IS EARL HOW COULD YOU NOT FINISH THE SHOW EARL DIDN’T EVEN FINISH HIS LIST

NETFLIX WATCHER July 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

EARL DIDN’T FINISH HIS LIST YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SEASON 5

Transpulsar June 23, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I am very sad since I noticed today in germany that one of the best TV shows ever wont be produced till the end!

Das ist total Scheisse und die verantwortlichen sollen zur Hölle fahren.

Donna May 12, 2011 at 4:48 am

I agree with the above. I couldn’t watch when it was on TV because of conflicting shows but found out I could watch the four seasons on Netflix. I finish them all and fell in love with the show only to find out that I was left hanging because there will be no season 5. Can’t you just make a final episode to end it. This seems to be a ongoing thing, I had the same thing happen with Judging Amy.
Well if you love Jason lee you will love Memphis Beat. He is great in it. Season one is complete and season 2 is suppose to start june 14th (I hope).

Noogey June 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

It’s so unfortunate! Damn,i’v been waitin like 2 years n now i read this bad news. If u can’t find any network,maybe u should just make a movie to end the series.

Jess May 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

The same thing just happened to me! I’ve always loved the show but was usually too busy to catch it on TV. I just got Netflix though and devoured the first 4 seasons.

C’mon America, this show is WAY better than Chuck! (and I like Chuck)

Long live the ‘stache!

And Jas

sky April 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

i just finished s4 e27 then went to look up the 5th season and was very disappointed. this was a great show and should pick back up. there is a fan base dieing to see whats next. some one should get it back up and running. please bring earl and the gang back!!!!!!