Nip/Tuck: FX Series Cancelled But Not Ending Soon

Nip/TuckAt today’s Television Critics Association presentation in Beverly Hills, FX’s president surprised many by announcing that the popular Nip/Tuck series had been cancelled. On the positive side, there are still quite a few new episodes on the way.

Nip/Tuck premiered back on July 22, 2003 and tells the story of two plastic surgeons, Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Julian McMahon). The series mixes drama with satire and irreverent humor as the doctors take on often strange cases. Nip/Tuck was initially set in Miami, Florida but the characters moved to Los Angeles at the start of the current season, the show’s fifth. The series was recently praised by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) for its ongoing use of homosexual characters.

Today, FX president/GM John Landgraf told reporters that the network had ordered 19 episodes for the drama’s sixth, and final, season. That order’s a few less than a traditional TV season but it will bring the series’ installment total to 100 episodes. Series creator Ryan Murphy will stay on board until the end as the showrunner.

Should Nip/Tuck be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When asked about the cancellation, Landgraf noted that he felt it was time and doubted that any FX show would surpass 100 episodes. He said, “If you tried to do 150 episodes of The Sopranos, you would begin to diminish the quality of those shows. The David Chases (The Sopranos) and Shawn Ryans (The Shield), they’re taking on social commentary and grand sweeping questions. If we want to go after that brass ring, we have to accept they have limited shelf life.”

Though the move may be a disappointment to devoted fans of the plastic surgeon series, casual fans won’t realize the show has been axed for some time. There are actually 27 new episodes yet to come. Only 14 episodes of the fifth season have aired thus far with the remaining eight scheduled to begin airing in January. The sixth season is expected to begin running in 2010 and not finish airing until early 2011. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Michelle January 21, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I absolutely love this show, I am very disappointed that they are cancelling it. Shawn and Christian are awesome, too bad it had to come to an end. :(

Michy January 8, 2010 at 8:46 am

I am really disappointed :( & sad & hurt I absolutely love the show

diesel January 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Cant live without nip/tuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica February 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

I feel the exact same way…………….NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO………

Kat December 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm

My husband and I have watched this show for years…neither of us can believe that it is ending. I protest! Keep it on!

Claudia December 9, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Nip Tuck is definitely my favorite TV show. Please don’t cancel it!! I’d hate to be stuck with stupid shows like The Biggest Loser or You think you can dance…c’mon guys.. keep it on.

shari December 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm

i watched the show from the very first episode. It is by far the best show. It has everything and i sucks that it is over. pooh.

nia November 2, 2009 at 7:23 pm

They totally need to cancel this show. The writing is not the same. Previous seasons used to have tighter writing. Now the show is boring and trite. I can’t stand the way they rush through storylines and don’t do proper character development. It’s just not the same anymore.

Akusa October 10, 2009 at 1:07 am

This show is ballin, but god damnit! The site i watch it on doesnt have episode 15-17 of season 5, halp! And Dumbcunx is a boss, so true rofl.

Dumcunx October 7, 2009 at 6:59 pm

The women commenting in this thread are so ridiculously retarded and illiterate, it’s downright scary. This is what our country has become? People who can’t even form the most basic of sentences or spell the most rudimentary words?

Helpful Observer December 31, 2009 at 12:26 pm

seriously…this is a forum…no one is writing a novel here…if their message comes across correctly, why does it matter if they write like an english major?…L2 criticize the show or comment, not the spelling…that just makes you seem stuck up more than anything

Mleanna September 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Noo they can’t cancel Nip Tuck, it is by far the best show ever on TV, my Fiance have enjoyed many shows together and have bonded by watching this show and he is not really much of a TV person, This is the saddest new I have heard in a long time.

amber September 7, 2009 at 11:38 am

ive been watching it for years hope its not cancelled :(

jeremy September 3, 2009 at 12:47 am

a truly sad day in history it will be if nip tuck is cancelled. not only is the show consistently entertaining, it sends a strong message of todays youth, culture, lifestyle, as well as the reality of the honesty in todays functional yet dysfunctional families. as a psychologist I would find it in bad judgement as well as poor taste to take this show off the air. actors, directors, and producers… please be very proud of this

Mistie August 27, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I love this show i have my boyfriend absolutely hooked. Who can hate sexy women and very hott men all in one hour tv show. Its all good and its funny sometimes. I will miss it if it cancels for sure but I will have every episode who am I kidding I do now except 6 and 7 of course!!!

Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 2:23 pm

show blows more then the son.

Anonymous December 30, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Obviously, your idea of a great, entertaining show match your english and spelling skills. Your use of comparisons is pathetic. You must be the most intelligent person in the trailor park.

Joel Doyle August 8, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Omg is there anything to posibly change the show bieng cancelled? Coulf Fx possibly change they’re minds? Goddanit I hope so :( This sucks…. Thanks a lot dicks!