Reba: Is the CW Sitcom Cancelled for Sure?

Time to say goodbye to the cast of Reba?The CW sitcom Reba, starring country-singing star Reba McEntire, is currently in its sixth season — though barely. The show was reportedly going to be cancelled last Spring but was saved at the 11th hour because the network didn’t want to pay a “kill fee” for not following through on a previous agreement.

Because of this, the popular sitcom was picked up for its sixth season but for just 13 episodes. Basically, the network feels that the show doesn’t fit their “desired demographic.” As a result, the new episodes of Reba didn’t debut until other CW shows had failed. When Reba finally did start it’s sixth season on November 19, 2006, it gave the network some great numbers. The sitcom even helped to boost the viewership of Seventh Heaven.

Ever since then, fans of Reba have been hopeful that the CW would realize the value of the show and order nine additional episodes (to complete the season) and to renew the series for a seventh year. It now looks like that’s not going to happen.

At last week’s Television Critics Association tour in Pasadena, CW President Dawn Ostroff reportedly declined to comment on Reba’s future. Later, it was quietly stated that the sitcom was done. Today, sources at TV Guide and MediaWeek are confirming that Reba has indeed been cancelled. There are four episodes left to air and word is that the CW will air the final two together on Sunday, February 18th.

Will there be some acknowledgment of the series ending? Hard to say. These episodes were shot in December when the cast and crew were unsure of the show’s future. Still, based on the experiences of 2006, I’m sure they may have considered they weren’t coming back.

There are lots of Reba fans out there so understandably there are tons of rumors floating around. One source at the CW reportedly said that the CW will indeed order the nine additional episodes soon (very doubtful now). There has also been talk that Lifetime (the cable channel that airs Reba reruns) has expressed interest in airing a Reba spin-off series. The spin-off would supposedly feature young married couple Van & Cheyenne moving into their own house and raising their new baby together. The rest of the Reba cast would appear as guest stars from time to time (and as a presumably smaller show budget would allow).

Is there still a possibility that Reba could be saved? Very doubtful but, like title character Reba Hart, this show is a fighter so you never know. Whatever happens, you can be rest assured, we’ll keep you posted. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

UPDATE: If there were any doubts, on January 26th, CW officially announced that Reba would end on February 18th.

Canceled and renewed TV show

214 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jeff says

It was a poor decision to cancel Reba. It was wholesome and funny and a show our family could watch together. Again, correct your decision by bring Reba back. A terrific show!

2. Nicole says

I LOVE REBA AND ESP. VAN! HE’S SO FUNNY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ON THE SHOW, BESIDES KYRA, I DIDN’T LIKE HER VERY MUCH! OTHER THAN THAT REBA IS A GREAT SHOW FOR ALL AGES!

3. Katie says

please don’t cancel reba. it was such a funny show and i almost fell out of my seat when i heard it was going to be canceled. please don’t cancel it. please

4. sue mizell says

I am so sad that the “Reba” sitcom was canceled. There are few shows that have a moral message to it much less one with such GREAT comedy. Loved that this disfunctional family somehow made it work…. and still stayed a family.

As Much as I love Reba…. I Loved Barbara Jean and their relationship. Took a little getting used to, to see Barbara Jean loose so much weight. She Looks Beautiful but prefered her chubby. Loved her comedy…..!

5. mary price says

I am very sad that they had to cancel reba sitcom you know that cw is to small for a coutry music icon and the greatest actress. and we all know she not the right color. I hope that they lifetime starts a spinoff It is shame that some people dont have enough sense to realize that they did have some good thanks mary

6. barb partenope says

I have been watching Reba reruns and I sure love the show and it s characters.. they work so well together…I haven’t seen the finale rerun yet, Hope I get to catch it.. Reba is a great actress as well as singer.

7. kimberly says

The CW Network was stupid for cancelling REBA. It was one of the very few TV shows today that was worth watching. Not in several years have I made it a point to be in front of a TV at a certain time just to watch a certain show, but I did do it for REBA. I made sure to be home and ready to watch every week. I also have the first 4 seasons of the DVD sets, and just found a place to get the final 2 seasons on DVD. If anyone else wants to get season 5 and 6 of REBA on DVD, feel free to email me at kimdoug9514@verizon.net.

8. Amanda says

I think it is so stupid that you people would cancle Reba. She is my number one singer and when I found out that seasons were coming out I watched all the time and dind’t miss one episode. I also bought all the seasons. I am so disapointed that this is all ending…!!!!

9. Joan says

Instead of all the reality shows, which i truly Hate, keep Reba on tv. it is much better than most of the shows on tv now. what a big mistake the networks made.

10. says

I love watching Reba, I have all 4 seasons on DVD and can’t wait until the 5th & 6th ones come out. I watch them all the time, I always see something that I didn’t catch the first time I see it. Both my mom and grandma is hooked on it also. I am disappointed that it’s not coming back. All the actors/actress were great. It would be great to have an update/photo on everybody even the little kids. The baby/toddler who played Elizabeth was so cute. She reminds me of my niece when she was that little.

11. Barbara and David Edwards says

Please do NOT cancel Reba. It is a great series and a family series, (which there are so few out there) our family loves it. Please recondiser your decision.