Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Canceled and renewed TV show

235 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Dimosthenis says

i think it should be renewed! the hole history was fantastic and i think that it should continue to a second season!

2. Courtney says

Great actors and wonderful plot line, it’s almost the more modern version on “friends”. Just like a business you should allow for some ‘bumper room’, this show didn’t have a lot of hype before. No one should expect it to have a cult following right off the bat. Give the show another season, I’m positive word will get out how great it is!

3. Nazley says

Underemployed is one of the best series I’ve watched, and I’m a sitcom junkie.
    In my opionion its better than Gossip Girl. It defentaly deserves more than 1 Season,
    Will be really sad 2 see such a good story end so soon.

I’m team underemployed

4. says

I’m just now starting my life after years of school and this show just helps me get by day by day through all the struggles of being on your own, love, a career, and new opportunities. please show a second season!!!

5. casi toy says

the show is hands down the best thing ive watched in a long time and i will be gutted if they dont come back with a season 2, you cant just leave it like that :(

6. Tony T says

I started watching this show because I wanted to compare it to HBOs Girls. After watching it I found that it was more real in respect to newly graduated college student trying to make their way in the world. It didn’t paint the generation and idiotic, ignorant, and apathetic. However , I will say I find it to be more fantasy than real because let’s be honest. You don’t usually have such a close knit circle of friends who actually genuinely care. But it’s nice to have a show where it shows those who are going through it that they aren’t alone, and to show how unrealistic some teenagers expectations are when they leave home.

7. kenzo says

i seriously enjoyed watching the show it’s down to earth and opposite to the sitcoms like gossip girl and other ones about awfully rich young people, everybody can relate with characters ! i hope to see the 2 season :)

8. Geradine says

I enjoyed the show alot! I laughed & I cried. It was a great show and I think it should definitely come back for another season.

9. Shadonna says

This is one of the best shows that has ever appeared on Mtv. Like others have posted, many people can relate to the characters and the storylines are well-written. First of all, Mtv did not promote the show well and then they moved the show to Saturdays. Idiots. Maybe another network will pick the show up. But, teen mom is still on. Ugh!

10. says

Okey this is hilarious, I was gonna be all like I’m from Sweden and blabla. And then I see that Josefine also wrote a comment like that!
    Anyways. I found out about this show, two days ago, and I have already watched the entire first season. Its a great show that both girls and boys can relate too with a little twist.
    Pretty pretty please MTV, do not cancel this show! I know for sure, that alot of people out there want to know what is gonna happen with Daphne and Miles!