Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Kayla December 11, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Underemployed in my opinion is the best show MTV has ever had me and my friends look forward to it every time it comes on!!! Do not cancel it!!

bailey December 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Maybe they would get more ratings if they’d air the show-more often-
Every time i am setting up the show to record it can never find reruns or anything so when i miss an episode, i miss it. And what mtv is too busy playing reality shows like teen mom, true life and jersey shore they cant just finish up underemployed? I am really upset i love this show. Pretty good story line and i was excited to finish it.

bailey December 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Not only finish it but i thought that the show was so good theyd end up cancelling it. Just like other shows i liked, their remake of skins, i just want my pants back, world of jenks or whatever that was called… ;(

Cosmas December 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Can’t believe they’re going to cancel this show do they could air that shows like ridiculousness or whatever the stupid name or that other show due to debut In jan based in West Virginia are u kidding me!!!

Nicole December 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I can’t believe mtv is gonna cancel it after the season ends. Ugh this is one of the only good shows on there! It’s so real & interesting to watch. I look forward to watching it ever week. Why do they get rid of the good shows & keep trash on like jersey shore & teen mom?! The inbetweeners was great as well but of course they cancelled it too. Also why the hell did they move it to saturdays? That was the stupidest decision by far. Now the ratings are gonna be even lower. Was that their intention? Smart move. I swear if they get rid of underemployed next I’m never watching mtv again. Recently they’ve been making really good shows but their cancelling all of them! It’s like all they wanna show on tv is garbage nowadays… I’m so dissappointed.

Melissa December 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Definitely don’t cancel. It’s one of my favorite shows I look forward to watching it every week. It’s one of the only good shows on mtv. Please don’t cancel it!!! :(

Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:08 am

Keep it. I love it

JCF December 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Argh! I hate how TV programmers basically expect you to follow a show’s rating, before investing in it.

Underemployed hasn’t been a perfect show by any means, but it’s got an engaging cast, and better-than-average writing. Unlike so many “young adult” shows before it (I’m looking at you, “Friends” and “How I Met Your Mother”), these young adults actually seem, well, young (not 30-ish). Their life-choice mistakes seem real, not scripted by writers twice their ages (and played by actors 10 years their seniors). Nor, of course, does it have the vapidity of Reality shows about this age group! They’ve found a happy medium . . . or did, before this defacto cancellation (my TV scheduler doesn’t show any new eps :-( ).

John Tak December 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm

This show needs to be promoted and left on a regular schedule. It beats out all of the dumb reality shows that MTV continues to run.

Give Underemplyed a chance a play it up !!!

Mr. Tak

Anthony December 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Mtv cancels too many good shows like really! Good vibes , hard times of rj burger, inbetweeners, skins, and so on better then the teen mom shit

Chrisjozo December 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I really enjoy the show just like I really enjoyed I Just Want My Pants Back which was the same type of show. Unfortunately I don’t think either show really found an audience. They really appeal to college grads who are really just outside MTV’s target demo.

Rachel Harrington December 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Love Underemployed!! My week will be ruined without it. Promote more, don’t cancel it.

Teener December 7, 2012 at 5:11 am

This show is really good! It’s last year’s Awkward. It’s so relevant to a lot of recent grads right now. TV ratings are an outdated way of measuring a shows popularity. Now days everyone knows they can catch it later at a more convenient time for them. Please keep it going! :)

DeeDee December 7, 2012 at 2:00 am

Underemployed is a great show. MTV needs to promote it not cancel it.

anonymas December 7, 2012 at 1:05 am

best show ever and inbetweeners is cool too. i swear if underemployed gets cancled like rj berger and the inbetweeners i will stop watching mtv with my 560,000 twitter followers

cfukumae December 7, 2012 at 12:31 am

So sad if this were to cancel. The ratings may be affected because the target audience probably record it or watch it on MTV.com like I do. Please dont cancel it! At least make it available on MTV.com and continue the series!!!