Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Grace January 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I THINK MTV SHOULD RENEW UNDEREMPLOYED FOR ANOTHER SEASON!!

Gayle January 13, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This show is so awesome and I live teen mom but god forbid that they ever maybe not air that show thirty times a week. The reason people don’t watch it is because mtv didn’t advertise the show enough

Anonymous January 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

im obsessed with this show

Anonymous January 13, 2013 at 12:22 am

This is the best show on TV

Robert Johnson January 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I freaking love this show u better make a second season or I will never watch anything on MTV again

Isaac January 11, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I don’t know who to talk to, but MTV CANNOT cancel this show after only 1 season! It’s such an interesting series that really shows how hard it is for us graduates to live and find a job nowadays. Love it!

Mike January 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm

This show grew up so much since episode 1. I’ve just watched episode 11 and I found the plot really catchy. It’s simply close to reality and it’s worth watching. The stories of these 5 friends are just getting better each new episode and for common newbies in real world… I found it helpful, if you get it. Daphne’s story line couldn’t get any better and what it goes for Miles, who’s now sort of hooked up with the messed up girl with no control on spending matters(Daphne)… Well, they turned out to be a great couple in the end. Right, I had some doubts because of the friendship background history they had. Sophia is taking risks, getting more wild and out of her shell… basically she is starting to live, and this couldn’t have been more right for her writer career. Lou and Raviva are dealing with so much at the same time… They are such a catch to keep up with. And by the way Raviva’s songs are a cool add to this show that has all the ingredients to work out. I just hope MTV doesn’t cancel it.

Amanda January 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

This makes me so sad! I really look forward to this show each week! MTV needs to keep this show on for at least one more season, advertise it more and then see what happens! I love Teen Mom, but I agree that they could forego airing so many reruns of it and devote that time to Underemployed!!

Judy January 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I love this show!!! Its a great show better other shows thats forsure…they need to advertise this show much more

Naomi January 7, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I hate this!! I wish this show can stay on.!!!!D’:

Jordan January 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Nooooo!!! It is a great show. It shows alot more about real life other than getting pregnant in high school or finding the shortest dress and go to a club at the Jersey Shore. I can actually get my boyfriend to watch this show!! Instead of throwing in the towel, promote it more, move teen mom to Saturdays and put this on Monday :) I pray for a season 2 of underemployed!!!

Frank January 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Judging by the way MTV has treated this show, it appears that they’re doing everything in their power to kill it. First they stopped promoting it, then they stopped showing repeat airings (heaven forbid they should skip one or two of their nine thousand reruns of “Teen Mom 2″ or “Jersey Shore”), then last month they rescheduled it at the last minute, moving it from Tuesday nights to Saturday nights when no one would be watching. The most obvious conclusion to be drawn is that they’re trying to make the viewers forget that the show exists so the ratings will tank and they’ll have an excuse to cancel it.

Fuggin MTV.

Jayde January 4, 2013 at 5:18 am

No this show should not be cancelled!! I love it and get sad when the the episode is over. It leaves me wondering and wanting to watch the next one to see what happens. Please MTV do not cancel this show!

Julie January 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm

love this show! hope it stays on!

Taylor January 1, 2013 at 5:19 pm

This show is probably the best show on now! Plenty of people watch it,&
I love it.