Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

jess January 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm

i love this show and didn’t even realize it was the season finale .. .and i also hate that they changed it from Tuesday night to Saturday cause it not on any channel that i get on Saturdays so i end up watching it online .. but they need to make a second season i wanna see if Daphne goes to Paris to meet Miles. the show must go on i love it

anonymous January 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Love the show!! Its REAL!!! <3

annie January 20, 2013 at 10:53 am

LOVE THE SHOW!!!
LOVE THE PLOT!!!
LOVE THE CAST!!!

I really hope that MTV won’t cancel it!

Rioletta January 20, 2013 at 10:59 am

totally agree with annie! THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!~

jessica j. January 20, 2013 at 3:19 am

Underemployed should not be cancelled. It is such a great show. And ill admit the time change did throw me for a loop,but I made sure to keep up with it online if I missed it on saturdays. The characters are relatable and very colorful. I always find my self anxious waiting for the next episode to air because the story is very interesting and wonderful. Its been a while since a show like this has been on mtv. It would be a shame if it was cancelled :\ I really hope it makes it to another season.

Mariela January 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I agree with Jess. MTV has a bunch of lame shows, so Underemployed was very refreshing to watch. We all needed something like this to air~!

mara January 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

i love underemployed and it should NOT be cancelled!!!!!!!

Ana January 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

My opinion is that this show must continue! I simply have to know if Daphne will meet Miles in Paris! It can’t end with a proposition, if they will all go to paris. That can go either way, I have to know if it WILL happen! This show made me cry, which is very rare and a great quality for a tv series. √ét hard to make the viewers connect and they managed to do that with me at least!

Chaeli January 18, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I love underemployed. I don’t want it to be canceled. It’s the first good show on MTV (besides awkward and in-betweeners) and I REALLY REALLY LOVE the show. Please I don’t want it canceled for that stupid snooki and jwoww

marianna January 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

THEY SHOULD STOP CANCELLING SERIES that are ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD!!! underemployed is something new and refreshing …it’s not too perfect nor too realistic …it’s the perfect combination . WANT A SECOND SEASON !!!

Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I love this show! and watch it every week on demand. unfortunately I never seem to be home when the show airs originally but thats what on demand is for! I have a feeling this show is going to turn into another My So Called Life. :(

Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 12:01 pm

They need a second season I’m addicted!!

Puhhleeze January 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm

This show is amazing, especially compared to the worthless crap they put on mtv like teen mom, jersey shore, and now teen mom 2?! Now they have a show that’s not the stupidest b**ls*** i’ve ever seen on tv (referring to mtv’s pointless, extremely fake shows) and they’re looking to cancel? Are you freakin kidding me?

Anonymous January 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I definitely think there should be a second season of underemployed. I do watch shows like Teen Mom, Buckwild, etc. BUT Underemployed was an actual and legit show to watch instead of reality shows like that. Underemployed would’ve probably had MORE viewers if they would’ve promoted the show a lot more.

Shakira January 16, 2013 at 4:18 am

It shouldn’t be cancelled! I LOVE IT

Shakira January 16, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yes I love This Show it’s one of the best shows on MTV

Bee January 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

There were absolutely no re runs for this show so of course there are not many viewers and then to move it over to Saturday made it even worse. Like everyone else has said, MTV gives garbage reality shows a chance to succeed such as: jersey shore, buck wild, Washington heights (i cant understand a g*d d*amn word their saying!! ) but not other shows with more meaning and morals a chance. As a somewhat recent graduate from college yet still trying to find that “big girl/big boy job” I was able to relate to this show. SO MTV, please give Underemployed a second season at a reasonable viewing time and I guarantee that your ratings will go up.

Washington heights though? Really MTV???

Anonymous January 16, 2013 at 4:22 am

I Totally agree! reality shows are pointless! Underemployed is a great program!