2007 Cancelled Shows: ABC Cuts Some Beloved Series

George Lopez canceledABC is still doing well in the ratings so they can be picky about what they keep on their network schedule for the 2007-08 schedule. They have a lot of new shows. Here’s what won’t be returning:

Big Day – This quirky sitcom about a couple’s wedding day ran for 12 episodes, leaving one episode unaired. The ratings were low so it won’t be back.

Day Break – The Taye Diggs dramatic series was pulled after six episodes and ABC subsequently released the remaining episodes online. Diggs is committed to the Grey’s Anatomy spin-off Private Practice.

Extreme Makeover – This personal makeover series ran for four season and 55 episodes. Three have gone unaired. The Ty Pennington Home Edition will return for another season.

George Lopez – The six-year-old sitcom, which often performed better than most everything else ABC could put up against American Idol, has been dropped. The series finale ran last week on May 8, 2007.

The Great American Dream Vote – The Donny Osmond-hosted reality show was pulled after two episodes. Three episodes never aired.

Help Me Help You – Ted Danson’s sitcom, about an egotistical therapist and his patients, was cancelled after nine episodes. Four episodes went unaired.

In Case of Emergency – This sitcom starred David Arquette and Jonathan Silverman and just never caught on. One of the 13 episodes was left unaired.

The Knights of Prosperity – Nine of the 13 episodes of this sitcom have aired. The network said that it would return with Ray Romano as the new target of the “knights.” There was speculation that these four episodes would be combined with a small second season order but it didn’t happen.

What About Brian canceledThe Nine – Many of the cast members have been committed to other ABC shows so it’s no shock that this series has been cancelled. ABC pulled this serial drama after just seven episodes and fans are still waiting to see the rest. The first seven are available on The Ninevia iTunes and the rest may be released online at some point.

Show Me the Money – The William Shatner game show seemed to be a success initially but its popularity declined at warp speed. Six additional episodes were ordered and then quickly cancelled. Five episodes have aired to date.

Six Degrees – The first of ABC’s serial dramas to be pulled in the 2006-2007 season, Production was completed on 13 episodes and, after a brief return on Friday nights, the network has been releasing the episodes online. It’s no surprise that it won’t be back

What About Brian – The Barry Watson series was saved last year but the network felt the ratings just didn’t warrant a third year. The last episode aired on March 26th. Watson will star opposite Christina Applegate in new sitcom Sam I Am on Monday nights.

The Jim Belushi sitcom According to Jim has not been renewed for another season but it may not be dead yet. ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson said, “We are talking to the studio to see if there’s something financially, a deal that would make sense for us.”

Returning in the fall are: America’s Funniest Home Videos, The Bachelor, Boston Legal, Brothers & Sisters, Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Grey’s Anatomy, Men in Trees, Ugly Betty, and Wife Swap.

October Road and Notes from the Underbelly will return on Monday and Tuesday nights midseason once Dancing and Bachelor finish their fall runs (or sooner if new shows fail). Lost and Supernanny will return midseason (around January). Primetime is expected to return at some point during the season, as it did this year.

Nine series will air over the summer including Traveler, National Bingo Night, The Next Best Thing: Who is the Greatest Celebrity Impersonator?, and American Inventor. Their futures have yet to be decided. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

158 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Crystel says

I’m so sad that What About Brian got cancelled, i totally loved that show, i didn’t miss a single episode. It was such a great show, how could you ABC?

2. JS says

No George Lopez and Jim Belushi ?????
    You people just dead set on being complete and total losers?
    Your news has always sucked.
    Now your primetime (apart from Brothers and Sisters;Boston Legal …although I frequently opt for whatever runs opposite….; Desperate Housewives and Dirty Sexy $) sucks too.
    Just what demographic are you seeking? Trailer-trash morons?
    If so, you’re winning hands down.
    I’m going back to the internet.

3. JANET says

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL WHAT ABOUT BRIAN WE LOVED THAT SHOW…IT WAS VERY VERY GOOD… FRESH.. FUNNY. I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU GUYS ARE CANCELING IT.

Six Degrees WAS ALSO A GOOD SHOW.

4. kat says

ADD ANOTHER WHO’S DISAPPOINTED ABOUT “WHAT ABOUT BRIAN”!!!! BRING BRIAN BACK….DROP THE STUPID REALITY SHOWS!!! WE’RE SICK OF THEM!!! BRIAN WAS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS AROUND IN A LONG TIME, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

5. Jean says

Why! why! why? first it was kevin hill, then daybreak, and now it’s What about brain! whats next, ugly betty? this is so dissapointing! why even bother to watch TV anymore. I lived for these shows. nothing else mattered when they were on!
    shame on you ABC for raising our hopes only to dash them again!

6. Trina says

I am so disappointed that George Lopez was cancelled. I recently started watching on TV Land and Nick at Nite and I absolutely love that show! I am sorry I didn’t watch it when it was on ABC. It is one of the few shows that make me actually laugh out loud, and that is saying something! I came to the ABC site to find when the new episodes are showing and I find that they replaced it with Cavemen?!? Are you serious?? Please consider bringing it back. It was a really smart and funny show.

7. SLC says

Not to sound redundant, but …
    I can’t believe ABC is cancelling What About Brian and According to Jim.

There is so much CR*P on network TV these days – especially the new fal season. I’ve been looking for these 2 shows and find out you’ve canceled them. I’m seriously considering getting cable and giving up on network all together.

These 2 shows were a great comedy and a great drama. According to Jim was a great show to watch with the entire family. Now there is nothing – I won’t let my 8 year old watch any so-called sitcoms.

What About Brian was fresh, a little real, a little over the top, funny and something to look forward to.

When great shows get canceled, it just encourages viewers to not even “get hooked” on a new show because chances are theyl’ll be gone.

Of course, we can all try to “get hooked” on the CR*P – they always seem to get renewed. But why waste the time when there’s cable!

8. Alexsa says

I can’t believe that ABC cancelled What About Brain?. That was a great show!!! and without any warning! ABC cancelled to many great shows in the past year without giving them a chance. You guys need to stop putting so many new shows on and let the old have a shot before cancelling without WARNING!!!

9. Lori says

I can’t believe What About Brian is cancelled! Bring it back. I was so excited to see what was going to happen this year. Now it is cancelled, why? Get rid of all the dumb reality shows. Bring back Brian!!! Bad move cancelling that show. I loved it. Not much to watch these day!

10. nicole says

i cant even believe what about brian will not be returning!!!!!!!! great show !!!!! abc you have no clue!!!!!!

11. Jennifer says

I’m so sad that What About Brian has been cancelled. I’ve been waiting since the spring for it to come back on and just found out that it was cancelled. Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Tonia says

I am so bummed out that What about Brian was canceled. I’ve been waiting for the new season to see what happens. It is such a great show. I went looking for it and that’s how I found this site and when I got the bad news it’s gone. Dumb move ABC.