Cane: Does the Cast Know the Show’s Cancelled?

Hector Elizondo and Nestor CarbonellOne of the surest signs that a TV series won’t be renewed for another season is when the castmembers start taking other jobs. Not jobs at McDonalds or Office Depot, other acting gigs. Last year, long before The Nine was officially cancelled, principal actors from the show like Scott Wolf and Tim Daly signed on for other shows.

This season, this seems to be the case with Cane. Though many people love the show, all but the network agrees that its goose is cooked — seemingly even the cast.

Hector Elizondo, who plays patriarch Pancho Duque, has taken a job on USA Network’s Monk series. He’ll play Tony Shaloub’s new therapist, replacing the recently deceased Stanley Kamel. There’s no details on how change in therapist will be handled but Elizondo will make his first appearance on July 18th, the season seven premiere.

Theoretically, Elizondo might be able to do both series but its doubtful that CBS would agree to let one of its stars moonlight. Last fall, when CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler was asked if Nestor Carbonell (Cane’s Frank Duque) would be allowed to continue to put in occasional appearances on ABC’s Lost, she was clearly against him doing it.

Her point of view seems to have softened. Since Cane went on hiatus, Carbonell has filmed at least one episode of Lost, which will air next Thursday. Is this yet another indication that Cane is over? What do you think? TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

47 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. dawn e says

You know what’s unbelievable CBS is considering not bringing CANE back, but will do a show like swingtown, unbelievable.

2. Cindy Longstreth says

Cane is one of the best shows in years! I just don’t get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 These guys are idiots! There is nothing but trash on Friday and Saturday’s why not just air these great shows then??????????????? I know lots of peolpe who would watch them!

3. Kim says

I also agree with all of the Cane lovers!! Why did this show end? It was a wonderful show and the story was just getting GREAT until it went off the air!!! BRING BACK CANE!!!!

4. shaquana says

I love Cane, I really wish it would be picked up on another network, maybe FX, before or after the show Damages. Both shows are great. Cane belongs on cable anyway, it’s a great show but cable would make it much much better.

5. Karla says

CANE was a very well written and portrayed. Its cast is marvelous and the story line captures anyone who sits to watch! I am not a frequent show watcher like many…the only shows I would always watch were Desperate Housewives and CANE! I tend to get bored with shows and decide to do something more productive. I can honestly say that for the first time in my life (I am 23) I did not miss a single episode. Now that CANE is gone, I am very dissapointed. If anyone that has the power to influence those in control reads this… PLEASE don’t screw up a GOOD THING!!

6. Vicki Hunley-Black says

I do hope this show, Cane is not going to be cancelled. Other shows bounced back after the strike, so I don’t see the problem. It was a very good show, with great story lines and even better actors! If CBS can’t renew, then please go to a cable network like USA or Fox, somewhere, anywhere, this show is too good to just forget about it.
    Just do something!

7. Yolanda says

The Show was new and wasn’t given a real chance to take off. If the Saprano’s did well, this show had a real shot. The actors were excellent and just when it started to become intresting, Strike!!!! Now I realize everyone wants to make money but what about the viewers? Reconsider CBS or sell it to another network.

8. Hector Olavarria Jr. says

CBS sucks if they do not bring this show back. Everytime that I start to enjoy a series it gets cancelled. Plus this is probably the best latino drama out there. I hope another network picks it up if CBS lets it go & I hope with another network the ratings for this show go through the roof so we can all tell CBS, I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

9. Rick M. says

It will be a shame, If Cane is cancelled. It was one of the first TV Drama’s that stared all Hispanic’s& Latino’s. This show was a coming of age for the spanish speaking Community. I ask that you please bring it back . Even, if you must go out an get other actor to replace some that has gone. Please give us Latino’s a Good writen Drama to watch.

10. Donna Dorsey says

They need to put this back on the air. what are they thinking. Geez! YOu can’t keep anything good on anymore. We are waiting for Senor “Bwega” (smile).

11. Debbie Reed says

PLEASE BRING CANE, MEN IN TREES, ELI STONE BACK – ALSO PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL ELI STONE OR BOSTON LEGAL