Flashpoint: CBS TV Series Returns in Two Weeks

FlashpointCBS’ new Friday night dramedy, CHAOS, debuted to poor ratings and never recovered. The network has pulled and essentially cancelled the TV series after three episodes. That’s ultimately good news for fans of Flashpoint.

This week, CBS will fill the timeslot with a rerun of CSI: NY. Next week, the previously scheduled The Royal Wedding: Modern Majesty special will air. Then, on May 6th, the fourth season of Canadian drama Flashpoint will kick off.

You may recall that, back in January, CBS made an unusual deal for more episodes of Flashpoint. Last summer, CBS didn’t get around to airing six episodes from season three. CTV, the Canadian network, did finish airing them and commissioned a fourth season of 18 episodes. Those are still in production. CBS President Nina Tassler seemed to be on the fence about purchasing any more episodes.

Ultimately the network decided to purchase the rights to seven episodes from CTV’s season four, combine them with the leftover half dozen from season three, and run them this summer. In addition, cable channel Ion has made a deal to run theseries. The current round of CBS episodes will be added to the package once the network’s licensing deal expires.

CBS had planned to bring Flashpoint back sometime this summer but, with the failure of CHAOS, the network’s bringing the show back earlier than expected. If the network doesn’t preempt the schedule or air reruns, it looks like the season will be finished by the end of July.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint is coming back in just a couple weeks. Will you be watching?

Rain April 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm

so good to hear!

Catie April 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

YES!! YES!!! Love this show!

Kathy Wensel April 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

So Happy to hear the Flashpoint will be returning. Good job CBS!

GERARD April 24, 2011 at 9:27 am

fantastic show hope there is coming 5th and a 6th season
BIG FAN

winefreek April 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

One of the best shows in a long time. So glad it is coming back. Smart writing, suspenseful but all with heart.

Tracy April 23, 2011 at 8:39 am

So excited for this show to return!! Just met “Jules” in the Bahamas!!I

Michael Allen April 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Flashpoint is the BEST show there is! I enjoy seeing new Kitchen Nightmares as well, but I’ve missed the Friday night eps of Flashpoint since September 17th. I can’t wait to see the last half of Season 3, and then season 4, I just hope it doesn’t finish at the end of July….Cause I want lots of new Flashpoint eps!!!!!!

D.E. Ross April 22, 2011 at 8:46 am

Wonderful…I love love love Flashpoint…all the actors/actresses are in sync with one another and it makes for great viewing…great news that it will be back (and sooner). Yeehaw!!!

Becky S April 22, 2011 at 6:23 am

I cant wait for it I waas also hoping that they would but the rights to Durham County or Ion would bring it back another great Hugh Dillion Show.

Chrisy April 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Can’t wait for Flashpoint to return, such a great show.

Donny Newman April 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thrilled to hear it is coming back. Quality show, good writing, good acting, worthy of a Friday night show. CBS show think about keeping this show, some of the other stuff should not even have made it to air. Who is deciding this stuff? Where are the focus groups. Come CBS, get it together.

Elinor April 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Thank you CBS for doing the right thing by bringing back Flashpoint. Trying to recover from Lights Out cancellation (so happy to see so many people as upset as I am), so this news is making me feel a little better. I feel that the Flashpoint crew show a true sense of caring for what they do and what might be bothering one of their own. I hope ABC brings back Rookie Blue. Thought it was a great show. I wish I knew what we could do to get rid of all these foolish reality shows.

Jaco April 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I like this show a lot. Have missed it. Recent replacement was far inferior. Characters are great.

cheryl April 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am so glad they are bringing this show back

Nila April 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Can’t wait for Flashpoint to come back. I plan on watching ever episode there is! Outstanding show!