Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

Canceled and renewed TV show

277 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

I love the show. It was opposite Blacklist which I watched the next night on demand. Blacklist was the problem in my opinion. Bring it back; I’m sure the writers could come up with another plot.

2. Gloria says

Please, CBS, give it a second chance and bring it back or try it in another time slot. It had some very loyal viewers; and I was one of them. Why do you just look at the younger viewers? (18-49). What do the older viewers watch? Perhaps we are too senile to be able to figure out the plot!

3. Nutsy13 says

The second half of the series was much better than the beginning.
    I would like to see it come back next season.

4. Anonymous says

I do not understand why all the shows I love to watch get cancelled This is a great show lots
    Of surprises and the cast is excellent !!!! Please do not cancel try another night like
    Tuesday there is nothing worth watching on Tuesday night

5. hobbs says

Please bring it back! Love the show… and really hooked!….
    It was put against 2 other great shows, at least I could record all three and watch them later so I did not miss any of them… I don’t know if others have that option!
    Great show, kept me in suspense…Please give this a chance to gain more viewers!

6. Sharon says

Great show, it definately should come back.
    I didn’t watch on Monday night because it was
    On demand. On demand is how I watch most
    Shows.

7. Joey Baggadonuts says

I loved it, but I realize it came to its conclusion. No matter how it would be written, it just wouldn’t measure up. I would prefer to just have the memory of a great mini-series and leave it at that. .

8. paula says

Please please please bring this show back. It is well acted…great story plot line that kept you on the edge of your seat. Give it one more chance please……..

9. drew says

Loved it. Never missed an episode. Ok never missed a taped episode. I have 3 kids and work long days. DVR’s are my friend. I mean in the world of DVR’s why are the ratings based off of live viewings? It was a good show. But do agree that it would be hard to bring back with the plot an all. But that’s the writers job. I would watch if they did something again. Hate to say but this Dylan McDermott guy is a f-in awesome actor. He and Steve Maggerrit are like my role dogs. I wish I could be more like them. They kick some major butt.

• Sheila Morsey says

Well I sure hope they don’t cancel this show. It had everything you could ask for. It’s that stupid blacklist and the holidays when everythng got taken off for sports or reruns of movies they have shown every year for the last 35 years or more. I am not saying some people don’t care for that but we have ESPN and Fox for sports and we have AMC for old movies. Why is it always our prime channels that get messed up on every holiday? I looked forward to this show every week and never missed and episode trying to figure out how they were gonna get out of one dilema after the other and being shocked by all of the double crossing going on. Come on bring it back a little earlier so maybe it will be over before the holidays takes it’s death toll on our shows. And it doesn’t hurt at all to look at Dylan McDermott for an hour every week either, that’s for sure, lol.