Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

Pamela Barnes February 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I found this show boring and not worthy of re-commissioning. It had no interest and no concerns with the characters. There should always be some intrinsic concern about the major characters and there was none here. It should give way to something more original

Tonya Johnson January 31, 2014 at 6:57 am

Im upset that their ratings was low… I loved the show
Me and my family watch it everyyyyyy Monday at 10:00pm
I miss the show… I miss the show alot… Please im begging yall
From the bottom of my heart bring Hostages Back pleasssssssse

Anonymous January 31, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I absolutely love love love this show!! You have to bring it back! I looked forward to it every Monday night. It was such a great show and every episode was amazing. Each time an episode ended I couldn’t wait to watch the next one. I can’t understand low ratings either? Maybe the time slot? But still out of all the other shows that came on during this time I’d pick Hostages no matter what! Love the show! :) please bring it back!

Lynn January 30, 2014 at 10:22 pm

This series so well done. I think audience thought there was no was to catch up – and no way to continue till next year. We need good well written shows – so get your publicists on the ball, and sell it for another season.

Ralph January 30, 2014 at 8:58 am

Great show, Hope it will be back next year. I cannot understand the low rating.
BRING IT BACK….

Kay January 29, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Really enjoyed Hostages. I think the time slot hurt the show’s chance of gaining viewers. Would love to see the sow come back for a second season.

Lois Wilkey January 27, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I loved Hostages and am/was anxiously awaiting season 2! What happened?

Floyd January 27, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Wife and I really liked the show and actors-Bring it back with something just as suspenseful.

Anita January 26, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I love the show and hope they bring it back. I am sure it was in the wrong time slot to have received such low ratings!

SpclDeb January 24, 2014 at 2:58 am

Hostages came on at the same time as Castle & BlackList. Most of my friends found it very difficult to decide which show to watch &/or record. If you have a DVR, at least the one I have, you can only record two shows at a time. You can choose to watch one of the shows you’re recording, so that you can pause it if you’re interrupted & continue watching after the interruption, or choose to record two shows while watching a previously recorded show. Saves a ton of time & no commercials unless you want them. My cable co. has the ability to watch missed shows the next day. This works great for some people, but with todays’ busy schedules, a lot of people have to choose what 1-2 shows to watch cause there isn’t enough hours in a week. I recorded the Hostages & Castle while watching a previously recorded show, watch Blacklist the next day. If they don’t re-new Hostages for a 2nd season, hopefully, they will do a 2-4 hour mini-series to properly wrap it up for fans like me. I HATE WHEN A SHOW KEEPS YOU HANGIN!!! PLEASE WRAP IT UP OR CONTINUE THE SERIES!!!!!

Eve January 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Sounds good, Dylan! I loved the show also; could never understand low ratings; had to be the time slot! I was not ready for show to end each week. Surprised that I tivo’d show each week and found it not there suddenly! Like to at least know how Ellen outsmarts everyone since it appeared to be heading that way….Bring it back in different time slot?

Barbara January 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Love the show and miss it on Monday evenings. Please bring it back.

Anonymous January 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm

This was a good show, sick of all the stupid sitcoms and reality shows, some decent drams is in order!!

Rachelle January 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm

It was a great show but on the wrong nite or time. Up against the Blacklist was its downfall.

Sam January 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm

This is one of me and my brothers favorite shows it needs to come back

Grace January 20, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Love the show, i hope it will be back