Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

dee January 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

OMG… the best show on TV….
Please please please bring it back…
An intelligent script, well acted and so intense… Looking forward every week to see more and more…

mariep January 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Hostages is a great show great acting so intense love it!! One of the best on TV right now so much garbage out there. How about cleaning up the garbage and keeping a quality show like this one!!

susan January 4, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Ugh, what an awful show! I watched it for the first few episodes, then stopped, then watched it again recently to see if the plot or the acting improved. Neither did. Maybe it would have been okay as a 2 hour movie, but not as a TV series. Not sorry it’s going away. Hope CBS has something better to replace it.

dee January 5, 2014 at 1:50 am

are you kidding me?
you’re totally clueless as to what good TV is all about.
Wake up and smell… your choice… coffee, roses or what ever else that may WAKE you up.

Michele Hellmann January 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

agree

Linda January 4, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I was wondering what happen to it . That’s my Monday night show I will miss it, I would like to see them bring it back

Diane Cohen January 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

I don’t understand, the people saying to CBS we all love hostage. and keep it on.
but they want to do what they want to do. CBS don’t care for the people at all.
or get a new survey and ask people in a every states. You put the really lousey, and stupid
series on the air, and a good series action, good shows off the air. I don’t get it at all.
It was good action series on Monday nights. It was good acting too. What more do CBS want. More stupid and boring series on TV.

sue January 3, 2014 at 10:36 pm

The best series I’ve seen in a long time! Non stop action and drama with many twist and turns. I hope CBS will continue series on a different night instead of just canceling it.

Anonymous January 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I loved the show and hope it is brought back . It may have been hard for some to follow . Duncan did awesome job with his character.

BELIEVER January 2, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I LOVE LOVE HOSTAGES— I HOPE CBS DOES NOT TAKE IT OFF— HOWEVER, IF THEY DO— THE PRODUCERS SHOULD GO TO OTHER NETWORKS— DUNCAN AND ARCHER ARE SO INTENSE!!!

PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW ON CBS!!

Joyce January 1, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Love the show. My husband and I were away for the episode on the 16th, so we went on demand to see it. So glad we could do that.

Amigo Font le Roy January 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm

This is a great flick, which holds your interests, the problem no one wants to see a President killed, to close to home…so if they change the plot that his bone marrow is stolen his daughter might be a better idea until they can wack someone off instead….my some one who hates the US…or a Operitive person like NCIS…does….love the actors and they all need a job…..good luck with the program….

Sarah December 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm

My husband and I can hardly wait for the next episode. It’s hard to imagine how they would do another series but we would love to see it!

Michelle December 31, 2013 at 4:56 am

Im sad they are cancelling.. That is the show I look forward to every week. I love the show but CBS doesn’t. :(

Anonymous December 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Love this show! Hope it comes back! Would love to see the baby born and where they are and what’s going on then! Just so much that could happen its a great show! Can’t wait to see more! Really hope to see LOTS more to come! Very well written! Great actors!

Teresa December 30, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I like Hostages. My husband and I can’t wait to sit down together on Monday night and watch our show, as we call it. The show is filled with intense excitement.

cathy December 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm

My fav show on tv…I record it cause I work mon nite..I would b sad if the ended it