Major Crimes: More Episodes and Possible Spin-Off

Major Crimes spin-offThere’s more Major Crimes ahead. TVLine reports that the upcoming third season of the TNT series has been expanded — from 15 to 19 episodes — to match the size of season two. The first 10 episodes of season three are scheduled to start airing on June 9th.

In addition, TNT is reportedly considering a Major Crimes spin-off. The new show would focus on Jon Tenney‘s character, Special Agent Fritz Howard, who originated on The Closer.

Tenney has appeared on several episodes of Major Crimes already (without his TV wife Kyra Sedgwick) and will return in season three. Word is that the spin-off could also star Malcolm-Jamal Warner in his role as Lt. Chuck Cooper from season two.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to season three of Major Crimes? Would you watch a spin-off?

Canceled and renewed TV show

52 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I really love both TC & so happy majority of cast stayed for Major Crimes. A spin off for Agent Howard would work very well as J Tenney plays character extremely believeable. Would be sadden if ends his marriage even if Brenda never comes on show. Their characters survived a great deal and are stronger for it. Some sexual tension between McGinnis & Fritz could possibly make story “exciting” to some, but just Being SpOps should be enough. Whatever decision on this front PLEASE don’t canx MC. He can always come back into MCs like last show & keep excitement going strong!

• Dennis says

First, I agree Fritz will make a great “In Charge” man for Special Ops The episode with him and the way the whole kidnapping etc. was handled was excellent! Fritz and Brenda divorcing? NO WAY! LEAVE THEM ALONE! I think Brenda should make a few guest appearances during the show as she will be making(Kyra not Brenda) on other shows! AND I have said this MAY times Brenda will almost HAV to make an appearance whenever Philip Stroh’s trial happens finally—-along with Rusty’s testimony—her testimony will be crucial! Why are there so many people who seem t want to see Fritz and Brenda divorced???? After all they have been through—-they should stay together for a long time! With only 2 episodes left this season it was nice to see a bit of “comic relief” in this past Monday’s episode! Every now and then it is nice to have a light-hearted episode. Who can forget all the hysterically funny trouble FLYNN and PROVENZA got into at times in The Closer? whenever it is rerun I NEVER miss the episode where Flynn and Provenza are trying to get to the ball game and they find the dead body in Provenza’s garage!!!!!—-Then they lose the body(LOLOLOL)!!!! As in the MasterCard commercials—PRICELESS!!!! I hope they NEVER take Major Crimes off!

• Tina says

Dennis, don’t worry about Fritz & Brenda. The TC/MC creator, Jamez Duff addressed this in his last Facebook chat. He will not do anything to these characters marriage if there is a spin-off.

S3 is only half over. Two episodes left for the summer half of the season. There are 9 more episodes in the 2nd half of S3 which are set to run from the end of November through January 2015.

Season 4 will premier probably in June of 2015.

So lots more S3 to come…then all of S4!!

• Anonymous says

I agree. When I saw Agent Howard again, I thought, wait a minute, what happened to Brenda? No divorce. It doesn’t make any sense.

2. Jeanna says

YES!!! I would DEFINITELY watch such a spin-off! I loved ‘The Closer’ & I love ‘Major Crimes’. I just watched the ‘Major Crimes’ episode with all the spin-off characters & the offer to Fritz to head up Special Ops. It was great! Someone commented that people may wants a spin-off with Agent Howard because they think Brenda Lee will be in it. That’s not me! I loved her in ‘The Closer’. I would be disappointed if in the spin-off Fritz didn’t have her somewhere in his life – without her appearing – but wouldn’t even be disappointed if they would get a divorce, not that I’m suggesting that, but just saying the character of Agent Fritz Howard needs to be continued as is, but doesn’t need to include forever his current wife Brenda Lee. I would like to see the 2 shows interact with each other a couple times a season. KEEP MAJOR CRIMES COMING, & DO IT’S SPIN-OFF!!!! YES!!! :)

3. I hate lazy writing... says

Loved The Closer most of the time and also love Major Crimes most of the time (except when they create the silly episodes focused only on comic relief…it’s always better when there’s really suspense and intense acting). However, doesn’t it annoy anyone else when the writers are so lazy that they actually rewrite characters’ back-stories, even within the same season? Since Raydor has been around, she’s been known as a mother of two grown sons, but during past season (whenever the episode story line found it convenient), suddenly there were references to her grown daughter – in at least two different episodes – who was supposedly a great ballet dancer. This reference to the daughter was brought up in a couple of episodes when it supported the story lines, and then they went back to her only having two sons again. This is just sloppy writing, which annoys me because it assumes that viewers don’t notice really obvious details like that. Does anyone else feel the same way about these types of overt and blatant lazy writing blunders?

• Hmm? says

As far as I remember, she never said her kids were both boys. She talked about having two grown children, and the one she went into detail about first was a son named Ricky, but she never said the other one was a boy too, and then we were told that she had a ballet-dancing daughter.

• Tina says

I have been a faithful watcher of the show since TC when Mary McDonnell joined the cast.
      I have seen each episode more than once.
      There has never been any mention of Raydor having two sons. She has at times referred to Rusty as her son, which technically, since he is her foster son, she can refer to him as such. But she has never spoke of her having “two sons.”
      There has been several references to her daughter and her being a ballerina.
      So she has two biological children, a boy and a girl, and one foster son.

• Jeanna says

I also agree that Sharon Raydor never said she had 2 sons. ALSO, I just LOVE the shows with the ‘silly comic relief’! With Provenca & Flynn, there ALWAYS has to be some comedy, & I feel it really adds to the shows. :)

4. Barbara says

Was very upset when The Closer was cancelled. Wasn’t sure I would like Major Crimes BUT I LOVE THIS SHOW…..Would Love to see Brenda Lee and Rusty put that Idiot A-h away…-Keep the show going!

5. catlady killmouskie says

I would love to see Jon Tenny back…..but only if debuty chief Brenda Lee comes back too…

• Dennis Lessick says

As I said bfore I LOVED The Closer and now also Major Crimes….Don’t forget all the rest of the fans—unless something happens to Philip Stroh in prison—-Brenda Lee WILL be back at least for one or two episodes when Stroh goes to trial and BOTH she AND Rusty have to testify against him! Can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to those episodes and Brenda WILL be back because Stroh DID try to kill her an Rusty in the FINAL episode of The Closer! I will be glued to my sofa watching the premier of Major Crimes’ new season tonight!!!!

6. cindy says

Loved the Closer! My fav show. Was worried about Major Crimes, bt writers didn’t miss a beat. Now my fav show… as long as Major Crimes doesn’t go away.. yes would watch a spin off. Bring Brenda back!

7. vp44 says

As long as Jon Tenney is back, I don’t care what it is that he is in. He is a fantastic actor and incredibly handsome, so welcome back. I had been watching Scandal and was sooooo happy to see him on that show. Now I will follow him on his next show. Love it!!! (the idea)

8. Sunshine says

I would love to see Jon Tenney get another shot at a series. He got a raw deal with King & Maxwell. It wasn’t his fault that his character was dumbed down. Jon is a great actor and deserves his own series.

9. Grandizer says

I am happy and sad.
    I thought that Jon Tenney did a fine job on the Closer, and his few episodes on Major Crimes were good as well.
    HOWEVER, I thought that he was fantastic in King & Maxwell, and it also brought back another star I loved in Dichen Lachman. When that show was cancelled I was upset. It was a very good show.

10. Dennis Lessick says

I always was(and still am in reruns) of The Closer and was very sad when it was over, however Major Crimes has taken up where Closer left off and I absolutely LOVE the show—-As always Flynn and Provenza are always up to their comedic antics which I find funny as hel_!!!! And Captain Rayder has certainly evolved!!! As for Jon Tenney—I sincerely hope they comprise a spin-off of his character because I would be a “certain” viewer. CONGRATULATIONS TNT–you have done it again and by the way Thank You for 19 episodes this season—-I cannot wait for June 9th!!!!

11. Tina says

I have been waiting for the return of Major Crimes. I loved The Closer for the first several seasons but grew tired of the Brenda Lee character and quit watching. When Mary McDonnell guest starred as Sharon Raydor I watched her episodes. With Sharon as a counterpart to Brenda I was able to watch again any realized how much I loved the other characters. So when MC was spun off of TC I was thrilled. I got Sharon and the rest of the characters that I love in a new show!

As for a spin off, we will have to see. A lot of Tenny’s fans are thrilled but I wonder if its because they think that Brenda will be back on the new series. I highly doubt it since she is producing a new series for TNT.

12. Barbara says

Didn’t think I would like any spin-off of the Closer BUT I really like it.They kept the same cast and added some. Story line is well done and the writers know what we LOVE. Again keep up the good work.

13. Sam says

I would definitely watch a spin off. I think Major Crimes did an excellent job picking up where the Closer ended.