Off the Map: New ABC Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Off the MapABC recently unveiled a new medical drama, Off the Map, which was created by Jenna Bans and is co-executive produced by Bans, Betsy Beers, and Shondra Rimes. All three ladies have been closely involved with Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. Will Off the Map be as successful as these other medical dramas or be cancelled after one season?

Off the Map follows six doctors who move to a tiny town in the South American jungle to help the residents and man an understaffed and under-stocked medical clinic. The cast includes Caroline Dhavernas, Jason George, Jonathan Castellanos, Mamie Gummer, Martin Henderson, Rachelle Lefevre, Valerie Cruz, and Zach Gilford.

This new TV show debuted on January 12th to a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic (the number that really matters) and 7.57 million total viewers. That was the night of the President’s speech in Tucson which caused some disjointed viewing in some areas. ABC decided to rerun the series premiere on the following night to give it more exposure, displacing Private Practice.

What do you think of Off the Map?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite that extra coverage, Off the Map dropped by nearly 9% in the key demo in week two. That’s not bad percentage-wise but the debut number was pretty low to begin with. The series attracted a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.79 million viewers. Last night’s episode dropped 14% to a 1.8 rating and 5.06 million viewers.

TV show supportAfter just three weeks, Off the Map is near the bottom of ABC’s demo rankings of scripted series, tying struggling No Ordinary Family. That’s not good at all and since Off the Map’s ratings haven’t stabilized yet, they may keep falling.

In the past, the alphabet network has renewed one or two struggling freshman series for a second season. Unless the ratings start going up, that looks like Off the Map’s only hope for survival. There are 13 episodes in season one and, for now, the finale is scheduled for April 6th. Time will tell if that ends up being the season or series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like Off the Map? Should it continue or would you just cancel it now?

Frida October 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

Off the map is very popular in Europe and that you choose to put it down, I will never understand and that you also choose to make even a krimnal series is just so stupid. We do not haft to see so many terrible things every day.

renee October 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Keep it!! There are so many poor series out there, it is nice to see one that is different than the others.

diane October 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric October 3, 2011 at 3:07 am

PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

rose October 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

i love of the map its a diferrent hoapital drama not found in the city you know its unique plese ahave a season 2…..

Christina Usborne October 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Don’t do it…… Please don’t cancel ” Off The Map “. You give pure enjoyment for the first season and then tell us your going to cancel it? Why air a program and get us all hooked then cancel, soooooooo very sad to me as the cast and episodes were entertaining and left me always wanting more………………… I WANT MORE, BRING IT BACK TO THE FANS.

Theresa September 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Please bring Off the Map back,,,,,loved the show and waiting to see more….told lots of people how good it was….. Very,,very good show,,,please bring it back

claudia September 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

You should bring Off the Map back, it was a great show.

Joyce September 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm

My husband and I were waiting for season 2 of Off the Map to start…..we were shocked that is was cancelled. It was a really great show…perhaps it needed be promoted alot more than it was……it is the good shows that get dumped

Patti September 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

PLEASE don’t cancel “OFF THE MAP” it is one of the most refreshing series on tv today with very little swearing and very little shoot-um-up scenes is a welcome change. Off the Map is one program my mom and I can watch and talk about, you see my mom is vision impaired from macular degeneration so she relies on me to explain some scenes and she loves the program. So please save it I am anxiously awaiting season 2.

Anne September 25, 2011 at 4:59 am

I’m from Denmark and I’m totally addicted to this series. I’m waiting impatiently for it to return with a season 2. Please let us have some more Off the Map….

Liz September 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Please bring Off The Map back.

mélanie September 22, 2011 at 7:57 am

I m from switzerland and when i began to watch this sitcom from the first moment i was love it.
I cant understand how the people dont like it!!! i found that it was something new and really great….
i wish really that its come back…. leave the second chance….

Eline September 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

BRING IT BACK! This tv-serie is the most GENIOUS thing ever! I love it!

craig September 17, 2011 at 2:05 am

Oh please bring Off The Map back. Like some previous comments mentioned I to loved watching it, especially with my mother. Both her and I loved the show and honestly found it more interesting then Grey’s Anatomy. Now don’t get me wrong Grey’s Anatomy is a good show to. But Off The Map was something new, and something that was exciting. We really liked the characters and not to mention the plot of the series. It also seemed adventurous. The challenges that the characters faced in Off The Map made it exciting for us. The personal trials they face along with the challenges that all of them face together made it very interesting. The relationships that they have with each other whether they are of a romantic nature or professional one. Oh please bring it back.

mara October 23, 2011 at 2:25 am