Ruby & the Rockits: ABC Family Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Ruby & the RockitsABC Family has decided to pass on ordering a second season of its freshman sitcom, Ruby & the Rockits.

In Ruby & the Rockits, former teen icon Patrick Gallagher (Patrick Cassidy) has been living quietly with his wife (Katie A. Keane) and their two sons, teenage Jordan (Austin Butler) and sarcastic preteen Ben (Kurt Doss).

Things change when Patrick’s former band-mate brother, David (David Cassidy), shows up with David’s previously unknown teenage daughter, Ruby (Alexa Vega). David doesn’t want to give up his show-biz life and leans on his brother to help raise his daughter, who’s a rising star on her own.

The show debuted on July 21st to 1.6 million viewers and 654,000 in the 18-49 demographic, making Ruby the second best sitcom launch in the network’s history. It even built out of the audience of fellow freshman comedy 10 Things I Hate About You.

Should Ruby be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, those numbers didn’t hold up and the sitcom lost steam in the following weeks. While the network has renewed 10 Things for another 10 episodes, ABC Family has decided to dump Ruby after one short season.

The final episode is scheduled to air on Tuesday, September 22nd. In the episode, titled “Smells like Teen Drama,” Jordan and Ruby compete for the attention of the same girl. Privileged’s Lucy Hale guest stars as Ruby’s best friend and Jordan’s new girlfriend. Meanwhile, Ben is being bullied at school. David and Patrick want him to fight back while his mother has a very different point of view.

What do you think? Should the show have been cancelled or did ABC Family make a mistake?

Laura March 11, 2011 at 1:40 am

I’m annoyed with all the cancellations. I had heard about this show but never got the chance to watch it until recently because a friend of mine had it and loved it. Curse you ABC family for letting an amazing show go :(

Michele February 15, 2011 at 8:30 am

I just discovered this show online and now I want more! I’ve contacted you through several phone numbers and told you how I feel. If there is enough interest…would you bring it back? Please give it another shot!!

cary January 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm

BIG MISTAKE!! This was something my whole family could sit down and watch. i want it back!!!

Anonymous December 26, 2010 at 7:18 pm

bring it back please

reman December 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm

please bring it back its a really good show these days there isent really lots of shows that teens really enjoy!!!!!!!!

kamaia December 25, 2010 at 3:22 am

HI PLEASE BRING BACK this show i love the damn show plz again

anh December 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

plz bring it back i loved that show and i really wanted to know way happen about jordan likeing ruby plz plz bring it back

Karlie December 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Uhhhh….I really miss this show. It’s not like it was supposed to be a big serious drama, just a short, cute and sweet funny sitcom! Seriously, ABC family is making some bizarre calls like…um…SECRET LIFE. Thats one funny show right there. Ruby & the Rockits beats that acting by tons. PLEASE BRING IT BACKKK.

SCull December 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Really wish this show hadn’t been cancelled. I didn’t know that was the last episode when I watched it, and I sat around waiting for it to come back on but it never did. Then I found this post and now I’m sad. :( ABC Family should put it back on the air. It was such a funny show! I really looked forward to seeing how life would work out for Ruby. I wanted to see her become a star. Alexa Vega has a really nice voice and this show was a good comeback for her from being in the crappy show “Repo: The Genetic Opera.”

I dont want 2 say December 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm

BIG MISTAK PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edith November 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm

i lovd tis show 2 men idk why it gto canselld kom on i lovd it ver much it was interestin ? plz bring it bak????

John Hill November 20, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Dear ABC Family
Please bring back the Ruby & The Rockits on the air. Because it is a good movie in my father & my sight.
sincerely
John Hill

MJ October 2, 2010 at 3:47 am

I was really sad that this show got cancelled i actually enjoyed it very much, and thought it was very good ^^

Joseph September 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

that show sucked, but the few good shows are Secret Life, Make it or Break it, and 10 things I hate about you… hundreds of thousands are disappointed about 10 things being canceled… oh and GREEK sucks.

Ana September 2, 2010 at 11:37 pm

ABC Family, you definitely made a mistake cancelling this show. This was one of the few shows that I thought was actually funny and had an interesting concept. Please renew this show!!