Scoundrels: New ABC Dramedy; Cancel or Keep It?

ScoundrelsAs you may know, ABC recently debuted a new series for Sunday nights called Scoundrels. Will it survive long enough to see season two?

Scoundrels follows the legally-challenged West family. The patriarch has been sent to prison and his wife is determined that she and the rest of her family not follow him. The TV show’s cast includes Virginia Madsen, David James Elliott, Leven Rambin, Vanessa Marano, Carlos Bernard, and Patrick Flueger (in a dual role).

The dramedy kicked off on Sunday, June 20th, with a poor 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 5.23 million viewers. For the timeslot, that put the premiere in third place in the demo and second in total viewers. Not a good start.

What do you think of Scoundrels?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, viewership for Scoundrels took a significant dive. The demo fell to a 1.0 rating and total viewership came down to just 3.66 million. That put the dramedy in last place in the demo and in last place for viewers.

Unless more people start watching, it’s hard to imagine that Scoundrels will be back for season two. ABC has lower expectations for summer TV shows but these numbers are terrible no matter how you look at them.

TV show supportA total of eight episodes of Scoundrels have already been produced for season one. Hopefully the network will let the viewers see all of them and not pull the series off the air early. Right now, it looks episode eight will air on August 15th.

What do you think? Is Scoundrels worth watching or would you just cancel it already? (Want to know how The Gates is doing? Go here.)

Canceled and renewed TV show

76 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Pc says

Dump this garbage and download the first 5 seasons of Outrageous Fortune, the original version, and get ready for it’s 6th and probably final one. Should be great.

2. carole quimby says

I tried to vote to keep Scoundrals and it said I had already voted, I hadn’t…. so how many votes are not going through to keep them on the air?

3. Can Sheshe says

Sure hope they keep Scoundrels, eight episodes isn’t enough, ABC, TBTB must give it more time. Please do not cancel it, especially now that Wolf is out!!!

4. ET says

It’s a great show full of intriquing characters that are real. I’ve watched every episode and loved it. I look forward to watch it every Sunday. Please, please give it another chance and DON’T cancel it. Thanks.

5. JG says

Hoping ABC will give “Scoundrels” another chance. It does have an audience, and each episode has improved. The finale was filled with cliffhangers…potential for much more story to be told. Great scenes between David James Elliott/Virginia Madsen, David James Elliott/Patrick Flueger, Virginia Madsen/Leven Rambin. Dynamics between characters really intense. Lots under the surface that has yet to be explored.

• says

I love Scoundrels and pray ADC keeps this show. Virginia Madsen is such a wonderful actress, and the show is funny, well-written, exciting, and I really look forward to watching it; yet I looked forward to Men in Trees and October Road, loving them also. All my shows seem to get cancelled. All were excellent shows but the public will continue to watch these stupid reality shows instead of good drama. Most television watchers seem to have an IQ two points above plant life.

• says

You are absolutely right. This is a great show and there is lots of storyline there. All the actors are really good! I get a kick out of how dopey Cal is. The two daughter’s acting has improved big time since their time on All My Children and The Young & The Restless.

I want to see this show go another season, it deserves a chance.

Kathy

6. K.A. says

Please keep it! Especially after that cliff-hanger of a season finale! It’s so exciting to see Patrick Flueger & David James Elliott in other things!

7. Emma says

We just watched the season finale of “Scoundrels” and loved it! As fans since the series premier in June, we’ve continued to watch and love this show from the very beginning. The writing is brilliant and the comedic quality is phenominal!

• says

I love Scoundrels; I think it is hoot! I really enjoy watching it and am disappointed it is not on tonight. Always look forward to it.

I would hate to see it taken off the air.

I hope it is given a chance another season.

Kathy

8. Nathaniel says

Bernadette,

Mostly British stuff are copied such as;

The Office (Brit version is absoultly awesome)
    The IT Crowd
    Mean Machine (movie)
    Little Britain
    Men Behaving Badly

Understand the morality codes but all the American actors on Scoundrels lack the street credit the Outrageous Fortune actors have. The setting for the family house looks in some rich Hollywood area. This could have been perfectly done set in some ‘Hick Town’ in the South.

9. Nathaniel says

I live in New Zealand and am a huge fan of ‘Outrageous Fortune’ (the New Zealand TV series to which ‘Scoundrels’ was ‘americanified.’ I have just seen the first episode of ‘Scoundrels’ and it is complete rubbish. It is not even anywhere near the level of ‘Outrageous Fortune.’ Why do Americans always try to redo other country’s TV series? Keep it the way it was made.

• Bernadette says

Nathaniel,
      It is difficult to keep the series her in the USA the same format as Outrageous Fortunes in NZ. Our morality codes for airings on TV are extremely strict so certain sexually explicit scenes are not permitted. I realize that this detracts from the NZ show.
      Unfortunately, that is the way the moral ratings are set up for TV viewing here in the USA. I am not aware that the USA has tried to emulate any other New Zealand shows. If so, I would like to hear from you regarding these other shows.
      Bernadette