Getting On

Getting On TV show on HBONetwork: HBO
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: November 24, 2013 – TBD
Series status: Has not been cancelled

Performers include: Laurie Metcalf, Alex Borstein, Niecy Nash, Mel Rodriguez, Joel Johnstone, Molly Shannon, Harry Dean Stanton, and Daniel Stern.

current TV show

TV show description:
Based on a British comedy of the same name, this series is set in Long Beach, California, at the Billy Barnes Extended Care Unit of Mt. Palms Hospital. The staff attends to the needs of female patients who are often “getting on” in years — while also dealing with the challenges of a health-care bureaucracy that’s in need of an overhaul.

Even as they attempt to serve their charges under less-than-ideal circumstances, the lives of the ragtag crew are complicated by conflicting agendas, both professional and personal.

Doctor Jenna James (Laurie Metcalf) is the director of medicine. She once hoped to become a medical-research star, but has instead been sentenced to purgatory at the facility. Head nurse Dawn Forchette (Alex Borstein) has many personal shortcomings and an obsession with finding a boyfriend. Both undermine her need to excel in her job.

Nurse Denise “DiDi” Ortley (Niecy Nash) has an easy rapport with the patients and should be an example to her superiors but she isn’t. And Patsy De La Serda (Mel Rodriguez) is a new supervising nurse of ambiguous sexuality.
space

Series Finale

Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

space
What do you think? Do you like the Getting On TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

M Gilbert February 2, 2014 at 7:23 pm

One of the smartest shows in a long time. The characters are real and the situations are hilarious. I really hope it returns.

Maureen January 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I never even heard of this show but thoroughly enjoyed all six episodes today. Really hope it is renewed. Great cast, smartly placed guest stars in addition to the writing and directing . We need more shows that deal with the state of healthcare on our country.

Bob January 26, 2014 at 11:39 am

I couldn’t take my eyes off this show and watched all 6 in two days. Then watched it again with my fiance and enjoyed as much the 2nd time. Having a) worked in an ER and not to long ago b) witnessed such surroundings when my dad was in extended care and later nursing home, the show has a complete send of realism. The nurses and doctors I worked with were big partiers, drinkers and smokers and it led to some crazy nights… I thought the acting in this show was so wonderful and nuanced. A great addition to HBO’s already great lineup.

Emile January 25, 2014 at 9:09 am

It’s a good series, but I can understand why it is not “getting on”. This is a new form of humor: the absurd, the uncomfortable, awkward, pathetic, circumstances. It is not ha-ha funny, it is more squeamish funny.

Seb January 23, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I love this show. It is the right mix of “dry humour” and slap stick/potty humor. Please keep the episodes coming. Laurie Metcalf is such an amazing actress. She can take any role and just make it the center point. Be it on Roseanne or playing Sheldon’s mom on Big Bang Theory, she is amazing… One of the best on HBO… This part is great for Niecy Nash, unlike that horribly not funny or entertaining Soul Man….

teri January 19, 2014 at 7:46 pm

When will we find out when they are bringing hbo getting on back

Sheryl January 12, 2014 at 8:57 pm

excellent series! HBO please keep it coming!

Bob Holmes January 10, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Love it!

Bob Holmes January 10, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I really have enjoyed the 1st six episodes and hope HBO does not cancel it. It is a great show with some funny actresses. I watched every episode of The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under. This show is a winner.

Michelle January 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm

A Thinker and lightens the dimsil burden of these types of Heath Care places for a change. Yet in a sense does not stray far from actually what happens from time to time in real time.
In other words, it a spoon full of sugar that helps the medicine go down a little better..

Erin December 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Love It!

Erin December 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm

My husband and I REALLY Enjoy this show!!! Please renew it!!

Anonymous December 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I’ve watched 3 episodes so far and I actually enjoy it. While not the best show on tv, it is certainly better than many scripted shows.

Jamie December 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I think this is one of the worst series HBO ever aired. They know it’s horrible and are grasping for straws at this point. Nobody watches it. Nobody likes it. HBO has hit rock bottom.

bg December 11, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Sounds very boring.

Bob Holmes January 10, 2014 at 9:16 pm

No big it is not. Honestly it is funny.