Red Widow: New ABC TV Series; Cancel or Keep It?

red widow tv show cancel or keep?ABC hasn’t had much luck Sundays at 10pm. GCB was cancelled last year and 666 Park Avenue was dropped this season. Has the network found a winner in Red Widow or will it be rubbed out as well?

Red Widow revolves around a suburban mom whose husband is killed after he steals from the Russian mob. She finds herself caught between the interests of the mobsters and the FBI. The cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The two-hour series premiere on March 3rd drew a 1.5 rating with 7.13 million total viewers. It was a disappointing start to be sure and Red Widow was in fourth place in its 9pm timeslot.

Compared to the debut of GCB one year earlier, the network was down by 32% in the demo and down by 6% in viewership.

In week two, the ratings fell about 25% and registered a 1.1 demo rating and 5.31 million. Last week’s installment dropped again, to a 1.0 rating with 4.36 million.

It’s currently the network’s lowest rated series currently on the schedule. Unless the show’s ratings quickly rise, Red Widow is surely doomed and won’t see a second season.

On the positive side, ABC will surely let all eight episodes air. The last episode of the season (and likely the series) is scheduled to air on May 5th. Hopefully the finale will give viewers some sense of closure.

But what do you think? Should ABC cancel Red Widow or renew it for a second season instead? Why do you think it hasn’t caught on? Is Red Widow a better show than the ratings seem to indicate?

erin May 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP RED WIDOW, ITS EXCELLENT! MT ENTIRE FAMILY ALL OVER NEW JERSEY NEW YORK CONNETICUT VIRGINIA ETC WATCH AND DVR THIS WE NEED THIS SHOW!!!!!

Dean May 12, 2013 at 1:43 am

Keep the show , my wife and I enjoy it.(Milwaukee, Wisc)

jenny May 11, 2013 at 6:47 pm

i love this show so good just like when they cut life that was amazing as well!! so ANNOYING!!!

Lori Gaffney May 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

I love this show!!!!!!!I love the time slot, and if that wasn’t why the show isn’t doing well
move it to another day and time. There are finally some great shows on ABC and
you cancel the shows that are great and keep the boring shows.

EA May 10, 2013 at 10:35 pm

It is beyond comprehension that ABC continues to eliminate good shows, such as Red Widow. Perhaps the network is too concerned with the opinion of the critics rather than its regular viewers. The behavior of the network execs is laughable, especially since they’d prefer to carry “reality tv” shows over a show with suspense. Red Widow should stay. Canceling Red Widow would be about as cool as a pink fanny pack of Virginia Slims.

Donna May 10, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I really do not under stand why you keep all those awful reality shows and even think about not bringing back Red Widow. its the best show on Sunday

Stormi May 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

I love the series. It needs to be moved to a different night. I don’t understand why slots cannot be changed around so that it is against very little competition and I am sure it would soar in the ratings.

Sheila May 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Keep ! Love this series !

Ellen May 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm

KEEP!!!! Every episode I was at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would unfold. Excellent, exciting and definitely a keeper – not much really thrills me on tv lately, but this one did!

Clarissa May 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Keep, keep, keep Red Widow! Stop canceling shows before people get to see the full idea of the shows! I loved Park avenue 666, but that got canceled in the middle of explaining how things got to be! I also watch Nashville as well (something I normally don’t watch, I am not a big country fan) but the plot is good, and I’m still not a country fan.

Pammy May 9, 2013 at 5:44 am

Please don’t cancel Red Widow. Finally something we can watch on Sunday nights. If you do cancel, can you at least make a TV movie showing the viewers what happened when Natalie had the gun pointed at Schiller and will the children ever be told it was their grandfather that had their father killed. There are a lot of loose threads that need to be closed.

Barbara May 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm

KEEP RED WIDOW! I go from week to week. Series get better each week. Give it a decent lead in and a chance to mature.

Kelly May 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Best new series I can’t stop watching!! It needs to be advertised more!!!!

Debbie May 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm

keep keep keep….love it the finale was so good!!!!!!

Rikki May 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Adore this show…!! And OMGosh the season finale left me wanting more and even rooting for a new romance to spark between Schiller and Marta…. Please don’t cancel it… I agree with other suggestions to move it to a different time slot in the week …. Don’t leave us viewers hanging!