Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I love this show. Definitely don’t cancel!!

mandy December 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I saw the preview on Youtube where that Asian girl got called a little bitch at work and thought it was hilarious so I checked it out. The trailer was basically the best part because this show is plain terrible! So boring. Not sad to see it go.

MTV should pick up The LA Complex!!!

Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 8:14 pm

It’s nice to see something on MTV besides reality television.

Angela December 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Such a good show. I love it. Should not be cancelled. I look forward to it every week.

Julia pateman December 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Don’t cancel this!! It is the best show I’ve ever watched!! I LOVE IT PLEASEE DON’T CANCEL THIS

REHD December 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

JUMPED THE SHARK WHEN THEY HAD THE HOT ASIAN GIRL GO GAY! SO LONG UNDEREMPLOYED WE HARDLY KNEW YE!

Ben December 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I was actually looking foward to watching it last night. It didn’t come on, so I had to google and figure out why.

It’s alot better than some of the other shows that comeo n MTV. (i.e. Teen Mom.)

Tom December 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I really love this show fresh faces gives off a warm feeling reminds me of a young friends that is the problem with networks if a show dosent make money within a week it is cancelled give it some time it can grow on you

Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

I love underemployed!!! Its such a good show. I don’t want it to be canceled. Mtv has already canceled a bunch of other great shows! Underemployed should not be another one.

Jackie. December 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

It’s a better show than what the ratings are show. It’s the reality of everything. There aren’t enough shows about the truth. This is one of the few. All of the reality shows are of rich people and their drama. What about the real reality of life?

Emily December 6, 2012 at 4:59 am

It is SUCH a good show. I saw it by accident and just got hooked.. So good. If MTV promoted it more it’d be doing much better

Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 3:25 am

This is sad it’s a good show it has thing that actually happen without the excessive drinking and drug use. They cancelled skins because it’s was kid using drugs and having sex but they’ll show us MVP doing their thing? That’s not even acting!!!!! I like this show hope teen wolf isn’t the next to go.

Chris December 6, 2012 at 12:08 am

I’m a big fan of this show, and hope it doesn’t get canceled. I think this show would’ve done better on a different network.

Lisa December 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Much better show than what the ratings show. MTV doesn’t promote the show.

AL December 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I hope they don’t cancel this show… This is probably the only MTV show i watch now that they cancelled The Inbetweeners =( The rest of the shows on MTV are garbage.