Big Shots: ABC Pulls the Series, Will It Be Back?

Big ShotsABC is moving some shows around for the November sweeps period and, as part of that, is pulling freshman drama Big Shots.

Big Shots follows the lives of four businessmen who are successful in business but whose personal lives are a bit of a mess. The series stars Michael Vartan, Dylan McDermott, Christopher Titus, and Joshua Malina. Big Shots debuted on September 27, 2007 and six episodes have aired thus far. The premiere attracted a mediocre 11.6 million, losing about nine million from the premiere of Grey’s Anatomy that preceded it. The ratings have been slipping ever since and the most recent episode attracted just 7.3 million. (Numbers based on overnight ratings.)

Its no surprise that ABC is pulling Big Shots for at least part of the November sweeps. Women’s Murder Club will take its place for a special Thursday night airing on November 15th. Then, on November 22nd, October Road will kick off it’s second season before settling into it’s Monday night timeslot a few days later.

It looks like Big Shots may return to Thursday nights on November 29th. If the writers’ strike continues for very long, ABC will certainly want to make use of any current scripted content that’s already been completed.

However, Big Shots is one of the few freshman shows that were not given orders for additional scripts or episodes in advance of the impending strike. That fact alone puts the series’ future in question. It’s not known how many of Big Shots’ 13 episode order have been completed or scripted. One way or the other, the show’s production will probably be shutting down in a few weeks at most.

As the writers’ strike goes on, ABC will be faced with some serious economic decisions. They’ll have to decide how long they want to keep paying actor and production expenses for a mid-to-low rated show that’s not even in production. At this point, it’s looking doubtful that Big Shots will survive. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Kathy December 13, 2007 at 8:11 pm

ABC – Just one question… Are you serious!!??
What could you possibly be thinking?
This show MUST come back!!!

Christina December 13, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Please keep this show!!! It is the only new show I watch other than the reality/game shows. I think it maybe in a bad time spot. I love the show and love the writing. I am extremely disappointed it not airing tonight.

Remember Fox’s show 24??? It was to be cancelled as well because of little viewers, but then they changed the time spot and it ended up being a hit…. I think this maybe ABC’s 24. DON’T CANCEL!!!! GIVE IT A BIGGER SHOT!!

Frank Yager December 13, 2007 at 6:24 am

Don’t cancel BIG SHOTS. Why put it after House Wives on Sunday and move that idiotic Brothers and Sisters to Thursday where it will die peacefully.

Jessica Coleman December 11, 2007 at 7:05 pm

I really love this show! I think it’s hilarious and I look forward to watching it more than any other show! Please ABC don’t cancel this show! Bring on more episodes! PLEASE!

Kristen December 11, 2007 at 1:02 pm

I just watched the episodes online and fell in love. I ended up watching every last episode. It’s the best new show out, hands down.

Hopefully someone will read our comments…

Tillie December 11, 2007 at 8:05 am

Why do we always have to watch Murder cop/lawyer shows???????? I am getting sick of the graphic murder stuff….something to give sick minds to think about…With BigShots it was funny, and its about time we get to look into a guys mind! It was refreshing! The only TV show we looked forward to….come on you guys, PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew December 9, 2007 at 10:45 am

everytime i like a show on abc they cancel it.. i can’t figure out how they are still in biz they never stick with any show.

Brandi December 8, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I LOVE Big Shots and I am so disappointed to find out it may not be on. Cancel ANYTHING except this show!!! It’s hilarious and just soooooo………awesoome!!!!!You can get so drawn into the characters and their crazy lives!!! PLEASE don’t cancel it!!!!!!!!

rachel December 7, 2007 at 9:23 am

Love love looooove this show. I am so bummed that abc is considering pulling the plug on this one. My husband actually enjoys it too. It is so funny to see the crazy lives of these 4 hotties unfold. Please do us all a favor and cancel Pushing Daisies before this one!!!

Eric December 5, 2007 at 8:07 pm

I feel this would be a big mistake if they were to cancel Big Shots. Its a great program and I feel they need to give it a chance. I love the show and I will continue to watch it. Hopefully it will return for another season. I was happy it came back on in December…

Donna Harvey November 28, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I really can’t believe ABC would cancell this show. It’s one of the best! The only thing that would be better is if Christopher Titus had a bigger role. Love that guy! PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK.

didi taylor November 27, 2007 at 10:15 pm

pleaseee do not cancel this show I am so upset..everyone I knew watched it..

Mar November 27, 2007 at 9:34 pm

this is my favorite show next to grey’s anatomy. i love it and it needs to come back!

RichoTB November 27, 2007 at 3:37 am

I hope this show is cancelled just to piss you little whiny buggers off. Truly great shows with innovative concepts and brilliant ideas like Day Break, Drive, Dark Angel, Hidden Palms, Angel, Arrested Development, Tru Calling and The Loop get axed far before their time and the only one people care about is a ludicrously awful show about “4 guys and teh woman that effect them!1″ Gee, thats totally original and brilliant. I can totally see how the show isn’t generic at all and how it should be kept in place of other shows in its place.

And whoever thinks this show is the best new show of the season, you’re a moron. Try Reaper, Moonlight, Chuck and Life, they’re far superior. Some idiot actually said the only reason they liked the show was because it had no “magic, murder or blood”. Guess what dumbass, some people like magic, murder and blood, those shows are different from everyday boring life and its f**king fantastic. Why do you think Desperate Housewives, CSI, Heroes, LOST, Prison Break, etc are all hits while this show is dwindling?! And you don’t like any of these shows because of “teh magic, murder and blood, it corrupts teh mind!1″. What the hell is wrong with you, are you pseudo-religious or something? Ban your children from watching any TV with the evil magic, murder and blood that has taken over the new media of today? You’re a twat and your kids will need therapy.

Its quite amusing the only people who actually care about the show are all married 40 year old men. I’m amazed you know how to use teh interwebz. Gosh. Ok I’m done.

lola November 26, 2007 at 7:19 pm

omg i LOVE LOVE LOVE that show!=], i would be REALLY upset if they cancled it!!!!!!!