Big Shots: ABC Pulls the Series, Will It Be Back?

Big ShotsABC is moving some shows around for the November sweeps period and, as part of that, is pulling freshman drama Big Shots.

Big Shots follows the lives of four businessmen who are successful in business but whose personal lives are a bit of a mess. The series stars Michael Vartan, Dylan McDermott, Christopher Titus, and Joshua Malina. Big Shots debuted on September 27, 2007 and six episodes have aired thus far. The premiere attracted a mediocre 11.6 million, losing about nine million from the premiere of Grey’s Anatomy that preceded it. The ratings have been slipping ever since and the most recent episode attracted just 7.3 million. (Numbers based on overnight ratings.)

Its no surprise that ABC is pulling Big Shots for at least part of the November sweeps. Women’s Murder Club will take its place for a special Thursday night airing on November 15th. Then, on November 22nd, October Road will kick off it’s second season before settling into it’s Monday night timeslot a few days later.

It looks like Big Shots may return to Thursday nights on November 29th. If the writers’ strike continues for very long, ABC will certainly want to make use of any current scripted content that’s already been completed.

However, Big Shots is one of the few freshman shows that were not given orders for additional scripts or episodes in advance of the impending strike. That fact alone puts the series’ future in question. It’s not known how many of Big Shots’ 13 episode order have been completed or scripted. One way or the other, the show’s production will probably be shutting down in a few weeks at most.

As the writers’ strike goes on, ABC will be faced with some serious economic decisions. They’ll have to decide how long they want to keep paying actor and production expenses for a mid-to-low rated show that’s not even in production. At this point, it’s looking doubtful that Big Shots will survive. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

117 Comments on "Big Shots: ABC Pulls the Series, Will It Be Back?"

Notify of

Diane
Diane
November 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Big Shots? I love this program – a little campy with a lot of heart. I’d really be disappointed if the network decides to scrap this one, as I really looked forward to my weekly fix of Big Shots – I watched every episode.

I agree the time slot for this shot was lousy and where was the promotion??? I see lots of commercials for Grey’s Anatomy, which certainly doesn’t need the help as we’re all addicted to it anyway. Time to promote the diamonds in the rough.

Please keep Big Shots!

Shel
Shel
November 23, 2007 6:53 pm

I watch from the Bahamas and right now I’M DYING! Please bring Big Shots back! After Greys and Ugly Betty what man will make it to the 10pm slot. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

Brett Lund
Brett Lund
November 23, 2007 6:52 pm

This show is amazing for me and four of my buds watch it every thursday at college.. Its the only thing we look forward to during the week besides the weekend of course.. this show can’t be cancelled.. you have to watch all the episodes to get it or liket the show so if people have only seen a few, you better get caught up becuase you can’t make a review on this show until you know exactly whats goin on.. its soo good!!!!! i can’t believe people dont like it!!!

Novelette
Novelette
November 23, 2007 11:40 am
I love Big Shots!!!!!!!!!!! It is the best new show I’ve watched this season. If they keep Dirty Sexy Money and dropped Big Shots I think that would be a huge mistake. Big Shots is totally more fun to watch and vey exciting to see what these men get up to every Thursday night. I was upset to see it hasn’t been on the last few weeks and look forward to it on Thursday way more than Grey’s. Grey’s i think has been lacking a lot this season. It’s so slowly getting good again but after sitting through an episode… Read more »
Carla
Carla
November 23, 2007 4:44 am

Please keep Big Shots. Even my husband likes the show because the men say comical things.

very upset viewer
very upset viewer
November 22, 2007 9:12 pm

This is so upsetting!!! I loved Big Shots and especially watching Dylan McDermott!!

Danielle
Danielle
November 22, 2007 12:03 pm

LOVE the show, dont cancel it!!

Tamia
Tamia
November 22, 2007 4:16 am

Last thursday i could’ve swore i was loosing my mind, not like the psychotic type of losing it, but the type where u accidently forgot to pick up ur kids after skool or forgot them in a grocery store. I had to have search every available channel i had for Big Shots! This was the 1st creative and original show i’ve ever seen. I am begging u to please keep it on becuz believe or not it was a hit. Talent is what pocesses this great cast and amazing plot, it would be a great dissappoint otherwise. Thank u.

Tonya
Tonya
November 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Please don’t take Big Shots off. That is one of my fav shows. My husband even watches! Maybe you consider putting it on at a different time or day.

Rowena
Rowena
November 21, 2007 11:40 am

Please bring back this show. I look so forward to seeing this every week.

FCE
November 21, 2007 6:33 am

I LOOOOVE THIS SHOW, I AM A WOMAN AND I THINK IT IS GREAT! I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED THAT IT IS NOT ON. IT WAS VERY ENTERTAINING. I DON’T WANT TO SEE ANOTHER COP RELATED SHOW, I WANT A CORPORATE “DYNASTY”!

JP
JP
November 20, 2007 9:14 pm

OMG, ABC should not cancel this show. Exec should be beating down the doors of these writers to keep this show on the air. It is funny, a little sexist, pokes fun at all the “men” cliche’s. This show has become friday morning coffee discussion at our office. We talk about Grey’s then we discuss Big Shots! Please!Keep this show on the air!

eddie
November 20, 2007 6:00 pm
I enjoy this show. It’s a tv series that does a great job giving the perspective of a man in life. Maybe the problem is that ABC isn’t targeting its demographic audience or should switch to an audience that would appreciate this, men from the ages 18 to 65 would definitely enjoy this. Also, it doesn’t help when its behind Grey’s Anatomy. I say keep the show but just target it better for men. If you look at ABC, it’s structured for women with talk shows, then soaps, followed by more soaps, then the news, followed by some game shows,… Read more »
Brad
Brad
November 19, 2007 1:30 pm

Big Shots is the best show on tv right now, and I am shocked that it was pulled off the air. Please bring this show back…. We should start a petition.

Jaymz T
Jaymz T
November 18, 2007 6:05 pm

I never watch tv other than watching ESPN to catch up on the sports everyday. But I’ve finally found a tv show I enjoy watching with my girl and that’s BIG SHOTS!!! Don’t cancel this show!!! My girl even got me into Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. Those are great and all but they just aren’t BIG SHOTS!!!! KEEP BIG SHOTS ON THE AIR!!!! DON’T CANCEL BIG SHOTS!!!! please…. 🙂

wpDiscuz