Golden Boy: Cancelled, No Second Year for CBS Series

Golden Boy canceled, no season twoOfficer Walter Clark’s story has been cut short. CBS has cancelled Golden Boy after one season and 13 episodes.

Airing on Tuesday nights, Golden Boy tells the tale of a young and ambitious New York cop (Theo James) who rises quickly through the department’s ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in NYC history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The network was hoping that Golden Boy would perform better than Vegas — and for awhile, it looked like it might. Unfortunately, Golden Boy’s ratings ended up being pretty bad, particularly in the 18-49 demographic.

The episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.4 in the demo with 8.3 million total viewers. It’s one of the lowest-rated shows on the network.

The last episode, titled “Next Question,” will air next Tuesday night.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Golden Boy has been cancelled? What would you have liked to see in season two?

Canceled and renewed TV show

178 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

My favorite show and I hope another network picks it up. I have been left hanging with other cancellations but this one is the worst and there are many loyal followers who will agree. By the way, I’m 48 so not sure about those numbers.

2. DC says

This show was the absolute best new show of the season. CBS is making a huge mistake cancelling it. They will poobably replace it with some lame reality show. People actually like shows with a plot. Maybe TNT or TBS will pick it up. It was a great show.

3. Wayne Mitchell says

Golden Boy very quickly became my favorite show, and now its not showing any more?Someone tell me how I can find when and where it will continue.

4. Darold says

I looked forward to watch this show every week with great anticipation. What a show !!! C’mon CBS, are you for real ??? D’ont cancel this wonderful show. You’ll regret it. You’ll drive viewers away to other networks.

5. Dianne says

My husband and I are SO disappointed Golden Boy is not continuing in the Fall. It’s such a great show! Such a mistake, CBS…

6. Bobbi says

Golden Boy was a great show. Great ensemble cast. Fabulous writing. Unique story line. Don’t know about the 18-49 year olds but there are plenty of us in that age group that love and watched this show. Whatever method CBS and others use to determine who th viewers are is greatly flawed – no one in our group was ever contact OR counted. Hope one of the other networks has the smarts to pick this up. We want to watch the years progress and see how the “in 7 years” Police Commissioner got that big job.
    Hey TNT, TBS – you folks have more smarts than the networks – please pick up Golden Boy. The viewers ARE here.
    As my out of the 18-49 demographics family says, and as I know for a fact, they spend megabucks out there and many of those are advertisers. It’s time the dumb networks start hiring people who make smart decisions – because there’s certainly no one on the payroll that does that now.

7. larry says

I am also over the magic age of 49, and watch more tv than in my early years of dancing, drinking, etc. CBS really goofedon tis decision.

8. happycampr3 says

The cancellation of Golden Boy SOOOOOOOOOO STINKS! Cast of characters was awesome and going to miss all the “what could have happened”. Really hope another station picks it up. Really is a great show. Where do i sign the petition to bring it back?

9. eleanor says

I am very disappointed that Golden boy has been cancelled. If you agree, why not
    write to CBS and let them know your feelings.

10. Lorene says

See… another great show cancelled because of low ratings in the 18 to 49 year demographic!!! This is becoming a pet peeve of mine! WHO SAYS TV is for 18 to 49 year old only… what age actually watches the most TV at night is over 49 years old.
    Golden Boy was different, unique in a refreshing way, well acted, well written. What a shame the network can’t this message get through. Very sad.

11. Louise says

Is CBS crazy? What is wrong with them. This is a great show. Hope to see someone else pick up the show.