How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)

how to live with your parentsNetwork: ABC
Episodes: 13 (half-hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: April 3, 2013 — June 26, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Sarah Chalke, Brad Garrett, Elizabeth Perkins, Jon Dore, Orlando Jones, Rachel Eggleston, and Stephanie Hunt.

current TV show

TV show description:
Polly (Sarah Chalke) is a recently divorced single mother who’s having a hard time adjusting to her situation. She wants to be the mother she never had and is trying to figure how to do it. She dropped out of college to marry her daughter’s father so her options for jobs are a little limited. As a result, Polly works at a high-end organic grocery store alongside Jenn (Stephanie Hunt), a single hipster who dates and pierces herself a lot.

Like a lot of young people, she and her daughter Natalie (Rachel Eggleston) have moved back home to live with her eccentric parents; Elaine (Elizabeth Perkins) and Max (Brad Garrett) Green.

Elaine loves life and is outrageous, earthy and adventurous. Once Polly moves back home, Elaine realizes that her childhood wasn’t ideal and optimistically believes that she can make things right. Max is a failed actor, a successful comedy club owner, and a committed stepfather to Polly and grandfather to Natalie. He’s also a health nut who loves building things, sometimes with Natalie.

Polly and her parents’ views on parenting itself also conflict: Polly wants to be an involved modern parent, but Max and Elaine are laid back, hands-off parents from the 1970s. They say it takes a village to raise a child, but in Polly’s case, this village is on fire. Although the intentions of her ex-husband Julian (Jon Dore) are good, he doesn’t exactly help extinguish the flames.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — How to be Gifted
Having always felt ordinary, Polly gets her family to go the extra mile to get Natalie into the gifted Magnet program — only to discover she’s gifted in her own way. Also, when Elaine takes on a part in Max’s play reading, their sex life is affected.
First aired: June 26, 2013.

space
What do you think? Do you like the How to Live with Your Parents TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Richard April 8, 2014 at 12:53 am

Really hate knowing this was cancelled. I enjoyed this cast.

Jill September 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I loved this show. I am so disappointed.

Drusilla1v July 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

This sucks! I loved this show! How do shows like Americas top model stay on the air and good shows get cancelled?

Leigh Ann von Hoelle June 28, 2013 at 11:25 am

I’m so sad to hear of the cancellation. This show wasn’t given a chance and that’s why ABC struggles with new shows. It’s a shame that this show wasn’t given a chance….
Booooo ABC and Boooo for cancelling Body of Proof too.

Kerry June 26, 2013 at 9:57 pm

really upset that this is being cancelled, the ratings went up every week. i think the biggest thing was people not knowing when it was on…everyone i know that saw it once became hooked.

paige June 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I am so upset that you are cancelling this show. I really enjoyed watching it. It seems like every time there is a show on that I enjoy watching, it gets cancelled. I wish you could reconsider this decision.

slw May 18, 2013 at 4:01 am

I thought it was quite witty & different, since it wasn’t a copy of everything else out there. As usual with all of the new shows, it wasn’t even given a chance, which seems to be a usual theme for NBC. I think it’s time for me to stop watching television. What’s the point of even getting interested in any shows if they’re going to be cancelled soon anyway?!

Dee May 14, 2013 at 2:01 pm

So glad to see this show was cancelled. I thought it was terrible and not funny at all.

Rosa May 12, 2013 at 6:53 am

I don’t get this… they said it was the #1 new comedy which obviously means it had the ratings…. yet… cancelled??

elcamino May 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

Fairly sure the whole cast will be in other things soon.

elcamino April 2, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thats not Stephanie Hunt in the photo. Still a must watch series though. Excellent all around casting.

admin April 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Apparently it was taken before cast changes.