Surviving Jack: Christopher Meloni Sitcom Cancelled by FOX

survivingjack02Christopher Meloni had a long run on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit but his FOX sitcom didn’t last. Surviving Jack has been cancelled after one season.

Surviving Jack revolves around Dunlevy family. A no-nonsense father (Christopher Meloni) starts tough-love parenting his teenage kids (Connor Buckley and Claudia Lee) while his wife returns to college (Rachael Harris). Others in the cast include Kevin Hernandez and Tyler Foden.

The series was originally supposed to have 13 episodes this season but the network cut the order down to eight installments. That’s never a good sign.

Surviving Jack has been drawing poor ratings on Thursday nights, following American Idol. The six episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.35 million total viewers.

The series finale is scheduled for next Thursday, May 15th.

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Surviving Jack? If you ran the network, would you have cancelled this sitcom?

Carl May 11, 2014 at 12:37 am

Funniest show I’ve seen in quite some time. Bring it back please :)….

Vinnie May 11, 2014 at 12:05 am

I’m usually pretty hesitant to watch sitcoms on Fox because of how quickly they ax them… Well, I was burned again. This was a good show.

Bethany May 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Exactly, Vinnie. Lots of viewers wait until season 2 of any new show is announced before even starting season 1 just to avoid situations like this. What is the point of getting invested in a show if chances are good it gets cancelled? Therefore the numbers of the current season of ‘Surviving Jack’ would have grown exponentially if FOX had just given it time. Nothing else they air is going to be as good as this incredibly whip smart show!

Shark May 10, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I can’t believe Surviving Jack was canceled! A lot of the shows that have been axed this past year I personally was bored with after the third episode. This I actually was watching multiple times on demand! It was so funny and well-written, I never would have thought this would go so soon. It barely had a chance to grow. Give it a more appropriate time slot that doesn’t fall in line with the drivel of reality TV and it would shine! I have to say, I’m surprised at some of the shows considered worthy of going forward… Of all the straight-up CRAP shows on TV, Surviving Jack was not one of them! Rethink this one FOX, this had more potential than you’re giving it credit for. I doubt whatever filler takes its timeslot will command better ratings and advertising exposure. Poor choice.

Bethany May 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm

You’re absolutely right. Give ‘Surviving Jack’ a consistent time slot for at least half a season before deciding whether or not to cancel it. Moving it all the time makes it very difficult for an audience to follow, so naturally the number of viewers is low. I gave up trying to keep track of it on the air, so started watching it on Hulu.com. Does Fox take the numbers from sites like Hulu and those who record the show on a DVR into account? There’s a lot of us!

Mom May 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm

This is the best comedy sitcom I’ve seen in a long time. I couldn’t picture “Detective Eliot” in a comedy…..but he was great and the rest of the cast was too. I’m so tired of the good shows being cancelled. Here comes another reality show??? Pretty soon I won’t need a television AT ALL!

Kristin May 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I love Surviving Jack! One of the BEST shows on-big mistake cancelling it. Fox’s greatest show :(

Linda May 10, 2014 at 11:12 am

BAD,BAD,BAD CHOICE. Surviving Jack is the best sitcom I have seen in years. Christopher Meloni is perfect in his part, as are all the characters. I really looked forward to watching it on Thursday nights. Why do all the shows that I like end up getting cancelled.

Sooner10 May 10, 2014 at 9:30 am

I REALLY like this show…..I hate that its getting cancelled, should have given it 1 more season!

Sandi May 10, 2014 at 2:06 am

Damn! I LOATHE sitcoms because they typically cater to the lowest common denominator (in my opinion).

BUT, that said, this was really funny!

Nice call, FOX. Ya blew this one!

Sandi May 10, 2014 at 2:12 am

Then again, why am I surprised? Aren’t you the ones who dumped the funniest show EVER – “Arrested Development”?

Eboch May 10, 2014 at 1:32 am

Bring Jack back.
I never watched any fox sitcoms until this show aired. This is a funny, witty, brilliant show that has me laughing so hard I’m in tears. Who ever the exec over at fox responsible for programming, he or she should be canceled. Leave Jack alone.

Tonya Tuttle May 10, 2014 at 1:31 am

DON’T CANCEL SURVIVING JACK!!!

Kathy Marino May 9, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Bring back Jack! This show was funny and refreshing, please give it another chance.

Mel May 9, 2014 at 7:41 pm
kevin May 9, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This was the funniest sitcom I have seen in years when you place it in the category as a positive, although somewhat sarcastic, family humor vehicle. I would have killed for a dad like that. Meloni was fantastic. Apparently Fox is going for a 16 year old bong smoking demographic with their comedies. Enlisted also was coming in to its own – just when they pulled the plug.

Kristy May 9, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Please don’t cancel surviving jack!!!

Fallon May 9, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Bring Surviving Jack BACK!!! It was a funny show with good, relatable humor. Loved that it was set in the 90’s and the cast had great chemistry! What is FOX thinking? Give this show another chance at a good time slot.