George Lopez: ABC Sitcom Star Feels Dumped

George Lopez canceledABC officially cancelled the George Lopez sitcom today after six seasons. Rumors had been flying for some time – either that the series would be certainly cancelled or definitely renewed. How does series star Lopez feel about the cancellation?

He reportedly received a call over the weekend from ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson who told him the news – that another season of George Lopez wouldn’t work out financially because the network would lose money.

Admittedly, the series has been down in the ratings but this has been due, at least in part, to ABC’s actions. The network has switched the series’ timeslot several times over the years and has put it opposite ratings powerhouse American Idol many times this season. Though many viewers have complained that the series had run its course, George Lopez has proven to be a reliable quick fix when the network had a schedule hole to fill. The sitcom consistently out-performed other sitcoms in similar timeslots – including Notes from the Underbelly, which incidentally has been renewed for next year.

Lopez believes the cancellation is due in part to the fact that Warner Bros. Television produces his series rather than ABC Television Studios. Some of ABC’s new series, like the one based on the Geiko cavemen commercials, are produced in-house.

With colorful language, Lopez told the LA Times of his frustration, “I get kicked out for a…caveman and shows that I out-performed because I’m not owned by [ABC Television Studios]…So a…Chicano can’t be on TV but a…caveman can? And a Chicano with an audience already? You know when you get in this [TV series business] that shows do not last forever, but this was an important show and to go unceremoniously like this hurts. One hundred seventy people lost their jobs.”

It’s also unfortunate that, because the season-ending episode (now series finale) was taped and aired before the news, neither the cast and crew nor the audience will have a chance to say goodbye. It’s a personal thing to Lopez who said, “They dealt with us from the bottom of the deck, which is hard to take after what was a good run.” TV Series Finale home page

Aldo Zapata Sr. September 3, 2007 at 12:41 am

Why o why was the George Lopez show cancelled no hidden truths just the truth but tell me (us) what we have to do, to get back the show

Jose Zaragoza August 10, 2007 at 10:00 pm

George Lopez has always been my favorite show. I learn so much from the show of what to do and what not to do. Every time I came home from school I couldn’t wait to see it. Being chicano I could always relate to George. Please bring back the show for my mom my brother my dad and my self.

Wayne July 22, 2007 at 4:18 pm

I’m glad that show was cancelled. Frankly, the subtle latino-centric racism of the show was too much. I find it interesting that a lot of the folks posting on here claiming racism end their rants in “vive [insert generic identifier for latino]“. Such a mindset is truly racist in itself; it cannot see beyond language and skin color. Give it a rest and stop identifing so much with your race and ethnicity…stop being a racist wolf masquerading as sheep/victim of supposed anit-latino sentitment. Vive EVERYONE who simply considers themselves to be an American!!

esther ball July 13, 2007 at 7:01 pm

I would like to know how to find out about a piece of jewelry one of the shows cast was wearing

Pablo Hernando Lopez July 5, 2007 at 4:22 pm

George Lopez is a great funny comedian who deserves to have his show go on. Being chicano myself i can relate to George and his feelings about family he is absolutely right about mexican family life and what goes on in a daily life of a chicano. all fans of geroge unite! and tell the tv people to put the show back on.

Anonymous July 1, 2007 at 4:28 pm

It is a shame when a great & funny show like George gets cancel for some commerical base tv show like the caveman. In my eyes, George Lopez one of the funniest men on television today and for ABC to cancel his show, goes to show you how racist they can be.They did it with D.L Hugely’s show,even though they were picked up by another tv station and they did it with Damon Wayans’show. It goes to show you no matter how well a ethnic show does on ABC,they always find a reason to replace it. I have nothing against that caveman commerical,I think its funny(for a commerical), but let’s leave it at that.When I first heard that ABC was making the commerical into a show,I thought they were crazy and I don’t think it going to last on the air for long. George Lopez has every right to be upset about getting cancel,his show been going strong for years now and all of a sudden he gets cancel for low ratings? Give me a break! I Look foward to coming home watching his show. ABC should reconsider cancelling and bring George back!I don’t think I can’t put up with ABC nonsense anymore!

Meagan June 30, 2007 at 2:50 pm

I can’t figure it out….how could ABC cancel the George Lopez Show and keep According to Jim….Hello…it should have been reversed!

sophie (Safira) Serrato, A.A,A.B.,J.D. June 20, 2007 at 8:15 pm

George Hernandez is a Big Great, a lovely hero to us Chicanos. He paved the road, even more so that all the other Chicanos who slid in by having Anglo names and Anglo looks. George kept his Mexican name and proved to the world, with wit, that Mexican Americans are just normal people, some educated, some not, but definitely a big boast to all the Mexican community–he is dark, funny, smart and I truly believe, a real asset to all. Good luck George. As a Mexican-American who has had to fight because of my dark skin, and too many degrees (so I must be evil), I know what it is like even today. Come visit me in Oakland, Ca if you are ever here. Sophie (Safira) Serrato, J.D.

Veronica June 13, 2007 at 10:29 am

ABC has been a boring channel until George Lopez came along. Now that it is cancelled there is NO REASON to watch this channel. You don’t know when you have a good thing until it is gone. ABC, you did not even give them a decent farewell. You basically just kicked them out. I Know for sure that George Lopez will move on to bigger and BETTER things in his life.

Mark June 11, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Lopez got canceled because he not ABC is a racist bigot. People are sick of him bashing America and white people and glorifying negative stereotypes. Anyone that thinks its due to racism needs to stop hiding behind their skin color and go and get an education. Anglo’s don’t care if a Latino bigot does well or not, we’re not obsessed with race like someone else on this board.

DJSCORPION June 6, 2007 at 1:04 pm

ABC replacing the George Lopez show for a stupid commercial based show is absolutely racist. Now I know what ABC stands for: Always Bashing Chicanos!!! For a show that had been as succesful as George Lopez was it is a slap in the face to the Hispanic audience. This show was a good show because it dealt with things that chicanos deal with on their daily lives and for once a network allowed a talented comedian to be a symbol for them. This just proves how we continuously get discriminated against by the anglos… they cannot stand to see a Chicano performer do well… to this I say watch out Gringos… don’t forget who the majority is growing to be… pretty soon not too far into the future it will be you who will be cutting my grass…

Laugh Out Loud June 6, 2007 at 10:36 am

Hey, Es! It’s spelled “shows” not “showes”.

I have been boycotting this network for a few seasons now anyway. They make bad decisions on when and when not to cancel a show. I’m still pissed at ABC for canceling Invasion 2 seasons ago!

patrick hernandez June 5, 2007 at 8:21 pm

i have watch the show since it first started and all his stand up shows. Its the funnyiest show on abc all of ur other show is not funny.So u takeing off one of the best shows u got for a stupied caveman show that will last for 1 month because no one wanna watch crap about a stupied caveman. So please bring george lopez back..I will miss watching u george and the cast of the show thank u for havein the best show on t.v since married with children..I hope some other network pick up the show because abc wanna be stupied and bring in caveman are they on crack ..take care george and the crew u guys will be miss.

Christian Torres June 2, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I was devastated to learn that the best sitcom on television had been canceled! This show was a great and always hilarious escape from the real world. I anxiously awaited every new episode and was left clamoring for the next season after the cliffhanger at the end of the seasons. ABC is making the biggest mistake ever cancelling this show, it was pure gold. George Lopez is a great comedian and person, best of luck. VIVA LA RAZA!!!

Jacob May 30, 2007 at 12:25 pm

while i do have to say that georgle lopez is a funny man, and his show did have a good run, i can totally agree when they say, the later episodes where “lacking” because even i noticed that it wasnt as funny as it had been in the past…