My Generation: ABC Tries Another Big Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

My GenerationDo you like to attend your class reunions, to see what everyone looks like and is doing? Well, ABC is hoping that you’ll want to watch their new show, My Generation. It’s about a group that comes together after high school. Will this one last for years or is it doomed to be expelled… er, cancelled?

My Generation follows a diverse group of young adults who, while in high school, were all interviewed for a documentary. They reunite 10 years later and we see how their lives have changed and, in most cases, haven’t turned out as expected. The ensemble cast includes Anne Son, Daniella Alonso, Jaime King, Julian Morris, Keir O’Donnell, Kelli Garner, Mehcad Brooks, Michael Stahl-David, and Sebastian Sozzi.

The premiere got off to a very poor start. Per the overnights, My Generation landed in fourth place in both the targeted 18-49 demographic and in total viewership. It attracted a terribly weak 1.6 in the demo and 5.2 million viewers.

What do you think of My Generation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In the same timeslot, last year’s FlashForward did much better and attracted 60% more viewers in the demo with a 4.0 rating and 12.5 million viewers. Those numbers didn’t last and it was cancelled because of a big decline in ratings.

Interestingly, My Generation’s premiere numbers are pretty close to what FlashForward had — at the end of its run.

TV show supportThis is obviously a terrible start for My Generation and the numbers are likely to drop even lower next week. Unless viewership sees a big turnaround, it’ll certainly be cancelled pretty quickly. Chances are, ABC will pull the series before all 13 episodes have even aired.

What do you think? Did you watch My Generation? Did you like it? What do you think people are missing? Cancel or keep it?

steven decker September 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm

i tried watching this show but stopped watching after 5 minutes this show was so boring …. it should be cancelled , cancel it and premiere the new show body of proof

gotflava1 September 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I watched the show and actually liked it. I graduated in 96 and understand and feel everything they say. However, this show seems like a show that should have aired maybe during the summer or during the fall break…you around late Nov. Again like many people have said and I agree, ABC needs to bring back FlashForward with new fresh writing and keep all the actors. The only problem I see with this is that The Event follows the same premise so dont know how viewers will react.

Craig September 26, 2010 at 3:55 pm

This show made me think of that horrible reality show Class Reunion. I didn’t see a single character that looked interesting. This must have been the high school of the invisible.

SG September 26, 2010 at 5:04 am

the story line and plot were good . but there was to much jumping around har to follow all of the charters. the format was horrible i think this sow would work but in a different context. i will watch the next show and go from there but not hooked or gone just yet. waiting to see how it pans out.

Lisa thompson September 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hated it. Bring back Flashforward!

liam September 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

LOVED IT!!!! please please please please keep it!!!

Neil September 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm

What a festering pile of shit. Horrible, pretentious characters with no personality–I couldn’t care less what happens to them.
Fuck ABC. They produce A Bunch of Crap.

nicole September 25, 2010 at 12:27 am

Cancel it and bring back flashfoward. This premise sucks and so do the actors! YUCK!

Joey G September 25, 2010 at 12:02 am

Since the people in the show were supposed to be from Austin Texas, they might have made an attenpt to have the actors adopt a Texas accent. They all talked as if they were from Southern California. I think this one will be going “bye bye”.

Nancy Langlois September 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Cancel it and bring back Flash Forward, PLEASE

Kevin September 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I thought the show was GREAT! Interesting approach!!

songbird2892 September 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Cancel it and bring back Flash Forward!

Matthew Keaton September 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I think the show was awesome, i only graduated high school five years ago, but still made me stop and think about how much has changed in just those five years and where all my friends have ended up so far. Made me think back to when i was a senior and what i said i had planned for my life, as of now what i said i wouldn’t do is exactly what i have done! can’t imagine what another five years has in store. I think it is a definate keeper!

Louise September 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I LOVED it!! This is so fresh and great! I totally loved the scene with the baby bjorn and the “Hi I’m your father” scene.
It was so cool when the crew guy got on camera and it was so great when the characters spoke to the people behind the scenes. I really hope that ABC keeps this element of the show strong because it is so great. Also the photos and flashbacks were great. Like a collage.
OMG so much potential! So great. I’m so in love.
And maybe that has something to do with the fact I am hot for guys who ride bikes, wear cardigans and digital watches…… :) I heart nerds.
Can’t wait for MORE!

NEK38583 September 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I tried it, I only lasted 15 minutesd I thought the storyline/plot had potential it was the format I found annoying and caused me to give up and move on.