The Deep End: Mixed Review Debut; Cancel or Keep It?

The Deep EndABC unveiled their new legal drama, The Deep End, last night. The promos say that it’s like a cross between Grey’s Anatomy and L.A. Law. Can it get the same kind of big ratings?

The Deep End follows the lives of five eager and young first-year associates in a top Los Angeles law firm. It features the talents of Matt Long, Ben Lawson, Tina Majorino, Norbert Leo Butz, Leah Pipes, Billy Zane, Sherri Saum, Clancy Brown, Mehcad Brooks, and Rachelle Lefevre.

Interestingly, this is ABC’s second attempt at doing this show. There was another pilot that was shot in 2008 with some different actors in some of the roles. Zane replaced Roger Bart, Pipes filled Morena Baccarin’s role, and Saum replaced Gail O’Grady. Based on the mixed (at best) reviews the current version has received, the network might have been better off sticking with the original pilot.

Should Deep End be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The young legal drama got off to a disappointing start last night with just 7.07 million viewers and a horrible 1.8/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. That put the show in third place in total viewers and in fourth place for the target demographic. That is not a good start, especially compared to FlashForward’s debut in the same timeslot.

On top of that, new shows typically lose about at least 10% of the viewership in week two. Deep End will get even tougher competition when Survivor returns in early February.

ABC has six more episodes of Deep End waiting to be aired. If the ratings don’t improve, it’s very unlikely we’ll be seeing any more.

TV show supportIf the numbers fall, they could pull the series before all of the episodes have aired or they might just keep it on to fill space until the Winter Olympics are over and FlashForward returns on March 18th.

What do you think? Is this series on too early? Is this legal show worth watching or is it a crime against the audience? Cancel or keep it?

Shelly March 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Leave the show it gives a good balance to the Thursday night lineup

Anonymous March 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

i believe it is an awesome show !!

ANN March 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I LOVE THE SHOW WAS LOOKIN FORWARD TO IT PLEASE LEAVE IT

sarah paek March 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm

KEEP THIS SHOW ON! I have come to LOVE it! :)

Monica March 5, 2010 at 6:48 am

I love this show, I hope it does not cancel. I noticed it did not record last night so I went online this morning to check the status. I hope it comes back. I really enjoy watching this show.

Wendy Mathis March 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Go to ABC.COM and tell them how you feel. Fight for it!

Rita Williams February 28, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Leave it ON! Please leave it on. There are so few shows worth watching and with this being the last season of LOST we really need it! Please Leave it ON!

Kiely February 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I like it! I would like to see them lose a case every now and then. They seem way too good to be 1st year lawyers.

Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm

leave them on.. i love this show!

Deep End Fan February 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I’m not a huge tv watcher but I have to admit, I make an effort to get home by 8pm on Thursdays to watch “The Deep End”. I really enjoy the show. It’s not too serious which is something I look forward to after a long day at work. I am really interested to see how the characters develop so I hope ABC renews the show for a second season. Although I’m in my 20s, I actually prefer the storylines involving the older characters — Hart, Susan, Cliff and Rowdy. I find them to be more interesting. I like when they’re given the opportunity to interact with each other and with the associates. The associates are fine but of the five I prefer Addy, Malcolm and Liam. I think Liam is hilarious, and I don’t like him being paired with Beth. He needs to be single. I find Beth to be really annoying, and Dylan quite boring. I wish they would spice Dylan’s character up a bit. I know they tried with Katie but then she left. That wouldn’t have been a good match for him anyways considering she’d already been with Cliff.

me February 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

leave it on! it is funny and has an amazing range of good characters.

Natasha February 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Leave it on!!! I love this show and it would be dearly missed if it doesn’t return for a second season.

Sean February 26, 2010 at 10:52 am

This is one of the few shows my wife and I share an interest in. I found it to be interesting, and the characters quite likable…except that jerk, Billy Zane. I don’t know what it is about him, but I just can’t stand the guy in anything he acts. Maybe he is playing the role that well. Anyhow, I’m disappointed last night was the “season” finale, and from what I’ve read on the web, I get the impression we may have seen the last of the show. I do hope its brought back.

Nadine February 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Leave The Deep End on, give us a chance to enjoy the show. There is not alot to watch these days. I love this show, I look forward to it every Thursday. They aired 5 episode already and tonight is the season finale. Way too soon….

Lucky Guevara February 20, 2010 at 12:36 am

Leave it on! It’s funny and not too serious. I love the cast and am interested in giving them an hour a week for the sheer entertainment of it. Three’s Company didn’t save the world, but it was worth watching. I say give the show a chance. Let them hit their stride. Not every show needs a blaze of glory like Flash Forward, which I also love. Intensity is great, but so is relaxed, good-natured humor.