Leverage: Exec Producer Ready for Cancellation

Leverage last episodeWill Leverage be cancelled or renewed for a sixth season? TNT hasn’t announced anything about the show’s fate yet but executive producer Dean Devlin says that the season five finale can work as either a season or series finale.

In an open letter on LeverageFans.com, Devlin wrote:

Dear LEVERAGE Fans,

As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show. Just as we didn’t know when we created the last three episodes which are about to air. Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot. So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.

This is not to say we would not do a season six should we get the opportunity. Everyone involved with the show, from the cast, the crew, the writers and producers, would like nothing more than to continue telling these stories. But, in case we do not get that opportunity we felt that, creatively, after 77 episodes, we owed it to you, our fans, to end the show properly.

I sincerely hope you watch these last three episodes. They build to our conclusion. And the finale, I believe, is the most powerful episode we’ve ever done.

From all of us who make the show, thank you for watching, supporting and encouraging us. I’ve never experienced a fandom as intense, loyal and wonderful as you all.

Let’s go steal a series finale!

Dean Devlin
Executive Producer/Director LEVERAGE

This season’s ratings are down by about 8% when compared to last year’s — 2.64 million vs 2.88 million. That’s not too bad but the show is likely more expensive to produce than it used to be and TNT’s newer shows have pulled in much better numbers.

Major Crimes averaged 5.18 million, Perception averaged 4.24 million and Dallas brought in an average of 4.42 million. So, while Leverage isn’t doing much worse, it seems likely that TNT is raising its standards of success.

What do you think? Are you okay with Leverage being cancelled or would you like to see it come back for a sixth season?

Anonymous December 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Kee the show. Leverage is basically a good family show.

Ellen Zarnick December 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm

If TNT would have done two simple things, keep the show in same time slot for longer than 1/2 a season, and done more promotion, the show would have better ratings and be a shoe-in for renewal. That said Leverage is the best acted and written show on television and it would be a shame if the “powers that be” at TNT were so short sighted as not to recognize that fact and renew it for at least one more season with the proper handling..

Samara December 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

This is such an outstanding show! It simply must be renewed! I can’t even imagine not having it to watch!

mary e. brewer December 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

best show on tv.. surely hope TNT wises up and sees that!

cindy December 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Renew Leverage please its the best show on TNT I will have no reason to watch TNT any longer with out leverage i to am not ready to say good bye please RenewLeverageTNT

Jess December 20, 2012 at 8:21 am

No, I am not ready for the show to be cancelled. i t is an amazing show that my family and I love to watch. There are so many more stories the producers and writers can tell about the Hitter, Hacker, Grifter, Thief, and Mastermind….I want this show to be renewed for a season 6. So does the cast, writers, and crew of the show.

trixie December 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

We want a season 6! The fans have been begging, nagging, requesting TNT for a renewal since middle of this year. The fans were able to get Leverage nominated for a PCA and voted our fingers off to try and give the show the award they deserve. If only TNT listen to the fans. As the article said, the ratings are NOT that bad, considering that this show has been running for 5 years.

Lisa December 19, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Please I need LEVERAGE! It is the best show ever and the premise of the show is phenominal. All the characters are wonderful and the chemistry is exceptional. If LEVERAGE isn’t renewed I will not tune in for the other shows.

Mary December 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Leverage was fun and smart! I think season 5 is lackluster at best. These characters could be doing a little more. It seems like all the cons are played out and we are sort of rehashing the same ole narrative. Oh well, I’ve enjoyed the ride but if the bus stops here…I’m ok to get off.

Linda White December 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

Leverage is a great show, so original and different than all the other crap om tv!! Please renew it!!

Jane K December 19, 2012 at 3:22 am

ABSOLUTELY want Leverage back for another FULL season!! It offers so much more than Perception – original stories, great characters, smart dialogue – and is SO different from Major Crimes. Renew Leverage for a full 6th season, put it in a reasonable time slot & leave it there – I KNOW it will be a winner for TNT!!!

Lisa December 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I totally agree!

Jackles December 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

We NEED another season. Come on TNT!

Robert Reeves December 18, 2012 at 3:10 am

please DONT GO I Need this show it is my fav

Marilyn McIntosh December 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I love Leverage and watch new and rerun episodes. This is the greatest group of people on tv. I really hope that it is not cancelled. Thank you so much for quality and clever stories.

Lisa December 19, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I have watched it on tv and you-tube. Its the only show I watch without fail!!!!

Kate December 16, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Most original show on T.V. Makes me happy to root for the morally right; not just the people who follow the law. It deserves another season