Perception: New TNT Series; Is It Worth Watching?

Perception TV series on TNTIn 2009, Eric McCormack returned to series television in Trust Me, a show that co-starred Tom Cavanagh. It lasted just 13 episodes but tonight, McCormack returns to the cable channel in a new TV show, Perception. Will it outlast Trust Me or will it be cancelled after one season as well?

In this new television series, he plays an eccentric neuroscience professor with paranoid schizophrenia, Doctor Daniel Pierce. Daniel’s recruited by the FBI to use his knowledge of human behavior to help solve crimes, often with unusual results. The show also stars Rachael Leigh Cook, Arjay Smith, Kelly Rowan, and LeVar Burton.

Perception premieres tonight on TNT. Is it worth your time? Here’s what the critics are saying:

USA Today: “This reduction of a serious, debilitating illness to a personality quirk would be as unwatchable as it is insulting were it not for one thing: an appealingly disheveled star turn from Will & Grace’s Eric McCormack as Daniel. He’s not enough to save the show, but the mix of humor and pathos he brings to the role does at least make watching Perception a bit less of a chore.”

Boston Globe: “I am inclined to root for McCormack. He was a huge part of one of TV’s most cleverly subversive sitcoms, Will & Grace, which turned sexual orientation into something funny instead of fraught… I want him to find TV success after Will & Grace, just as Julia Louis-Dreyfus has after Seinfeld, rather than find himself in a professional corner in the shadow of his early cultural impact (see: Jason Alexander). But no matter how much McCormack throws himself into his Perception role, balancing dramatic A Beautiful Mind-like heft with Monk-like humor, he’s still driving a faulty vehicle. No amount of good will from Will & Grace can change that.”

LA Times: “If only the strokes weren’t so broad and easily anticipated, if only the paranoid schizophrenia weren’t so actually horrible and devastating, rather than quirky and revelatory. Co-creators Mike Sussman and Kenneth Biller are on to something with their exploration of the endless and fascinating facets of perception. But too often it seems like they have chosen to afflict their character in this manner simply because all the other dysfunctions have already been taken.”

NY Daily News: “Thanks largely to McCormack, but also to Cook and others, Perception is fun to watch. In the end, though, it may go one laser light too far. When a case seems to hit a dead end, the producers break out a new behavioral quirk, or a new hallucination, or a new imaginary friend who cracks it. Maybe at a certain point it won’t feel like all this is a little too gimmicky, or that the rules are being made up as we go along. Out of the box, it kind of does.”

NY Times: “Mr. McCormack puts Pierce’s vulnerability and fear in the foreground, and avoids the huckster’s smirk that can sometimes mar his performances; he’s winning, and he has an easy rapport with Ms. Cook. For more critical viewers, though, that may not outweigh the show’s forced eccentricities, or the way in which ideas and motifs from Monk, House, The Mentalist, Numbers and other series clank around in plain sight.”

Boston Herald: “If you were to take this series seriously — and you won’t — you’d find it fits with the genre that exalts those with mental disabilities as savants (starting with Forrest Gump). Daniel’s schizophrenia — which he refuses to treat — isn’t an affliction, it’s a super-power. ‘Rationality is overrated, particularly if you’re a Cubs fan,’ he says. Maybe. But Perception is a head trip not worth the journey.”

What do you think? Will you watch the Perception TV show? If you’ve already seen it, will you watch again? Was the premiere “too political” for you?

Canceled and renewed TV show

61 Comments on "Perception: New TNT Series; Is It Worth Watching?"

Notify of

marcy
marcy
July 29, 2012 10:36 am

I thought Perception was pretty good. It’s fun to get together with a few friends or some coworkers and try to work together and figure out which characters are real and which are just a side effect of Pierce’s, uh, active imagination. I probably won’t make a point to tune in each week, but I have it set to record on my DVR.

Anonymous
Anonymous
July 23, 2012 11:41 pm

It’s better than ANY reality show, that’s for sure. If it actually makes you think, chances are it’s better than that Jersey Shore garbage they have out there.

Darlene
Darlene
July 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I watched Perception and enjoyed it very much. Even the part where they reviewed lying by using Bush. I liked it all. I really like McCormack in this. He really made it easy to watch.

Don in LA
Don in LA
July 14, 2012 9:55 pm

WOW! Now I know that Bush LIED when he said the British confirmed Sadam wanted nukes! Never watching this again – WHY do they HAVE to inject their political views into TV? WHY can you not just tell a story and NOT interject you force on me your PERSOANL POLITICAL VIEWS.

Not going to watch your show again, shame because is was a good show except for the politics.

Lorelai
Lorelai
July 30, 2012 6:34 am

Don,
They later showed Clinton lying (under oath) in the SAME episode- equal opp show. No politics in other episodes at all that I noticed. I’d try it again- It’s almost 1/2 over (only 10 shows) first season. I’m really enjoying it!

Terry
Terry
July 13, 2012 8:54 am

We Loved it! Will watch again.

Emi
Emi
July 12, 2012 5:28 pm

My husband and I LOVED it! Can’t wait to see more!

James
James
July 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I thought this looks boring is it going to get better than this.. It seemed like they were just pushing this one out to audiences cause they had run out of ideas and thrown a topless girl in for good measure. It didn’t really peak my interests, I doubt I will watch this again.

Anonymous
Anonymous
July 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I loved it!

Wink winkler
Wink winkler
July 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Will watch it again.

Samuel Terminesi
Samuel Terminesi
July 11, 2012 10:31 am

We loved, loved, loved the show! Eric McCormack is on his way to an Emmy. Hope it succeeds in the ratings. We are sooooo tired of all the reality crap.

ShoeDiva
ShoeDiva
July 11, 2012 9:55 am

I love it. ERIC MACCORMICK was great!!!! as well as the co stars. Although its true that patients should not stop taking thier meds. People need to remember this is a tv show something we watch for a little while to escape from reality. My mother had sever mental issues, and frequesntly stop at times taking her meds because sometimes they made her feel worse then dealing with her symptoms. It sometimes takes many trials and errors before you find the right one!! GREAT SHOW WILL WATCH AGAIN FOR SURE!!!

CRBond
CRBond
July 11, 2012 8:08 am

I loved the premier and will definitely watch it again. I enjoy watching mysteries with a twist even if it can be far fetched…it is TV after all…and I watch for entertainment not for reality’s sake…I have enough reality in my own life thank you very much. I really do enjoy quirky …and Eric McCormack plays a character I want to root for and believe in.

Barbara
Barbara
July 11, 2012 7:19 am

I’m with Evelyn the nurse. Love Eric McCormick, but it’s insulting to treat a mental illness like an idiosyncrasy and sets a terrible precedent by advocating that mentally ill patients don’t need to take their medication. The Boston Herald got it right. And I am not in the health field and do not even know anyone with this mental illness. It’s just obvious to me.

Cathy
Cathy
July 11, 2012 5:52 am

The plot was interesting enough nothing special. Cast seems to interact well. But right out of the gate they make a false political statement. I won’t be watching this one. I TV for entertainment not to have someones political views forced on me.

Dee Vincent
July 11, 2012 5:25 am

The show is not airing in Canada yet, but shall be soon on Bravo.

wpDiscuz