V: ABC Series Gets Three New Castmembers, Will They Help?

IMAGEThree new faces have been added to ABC’s new version of V. Can they, or anyone else, help save the show from cancellation?

Like the original NBC version, the new V revolves around the arrival of aliens to the planet Earth. While the visitors profess that they’ve come in peace, their sinister true motives slowly become clear. The cast includes Elizabeth Mitchell, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, Joel Gretsch, Logan Huffman, Lourdes Benedicto, Laura Vandervoort, and Scott Wolf.

According to TV Guide, the new performers are Charles Mesure, Nicholas Lea, and Lexa Doig. All three are familiar faces to fans of cancelled sci-fi shows.

UK actor Charles Mesure has appeared on Xena: Warrior Princess and NBC’s Crossing Jordan. He’ll play a recurring role as Kyle Hobbes, a mercenary who forms an unlikely alliance with the resistance.

What's the best thing ABC could do to help V?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Canadian performer Nicholas Lea is a familiar face from playing Tom Foss on Kyle XY, and roles on The X-Files, Andromeda, and Men in Trees. He’ll be playing Erica’s ex-husband who re-enters the lives of Erica (Mitchell) and Tyler (Huffman) at a crucial point.

Canadian actress Lexa Doig, from Andromeda, The 4400 and Stargate SG-1, will join the series as Dr. Leah Pearlman, an OB/GYN who’s treating Valerie Stevens (Benedicto) after she discovered her pregnancy.

The bigger question of course is if these performers, or anyone else, can help stop the show’s decline in ratings and overcome the long hiatus.

The new V started out strong with a 5.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 14.3 million total viewers. That was the highest rated debut to date of the 2009-10 season. Unfortunately, a large percentage of those viewers didn’t return for the second week. Episode two brought in a 3.8 rating and 10.7 million.

Week three dropped yet again, to a 3.1 in the demo and 9.26 million viewers. In week four, V attracted a third place 3.1 rating for 18-49 viewers and a total viewership of 9.2 million. While those numbers are pretty good on their own, they do represent a 40% drop in the demo when compared to the premiere.

And then, there’s the hiatus. The show won’t be back on ABC until March 30th. That’s more than a four month hiatus and a big hurdle for the network and producers to overcome.

TV show supportWhile devout fans may be counting the days until the return, many TV viewers think that V’s already been cancelled. If not, they may believe that they’ve missed too much of the story to be able to catch up.

What do you think? What, if anything, should ABC do to help the new V survive? A big stunt? A marathon of past episodes? A recap special? Or, is it already too late?

LUVE THE ORIGINAL V July 8, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The new V is somewhat boring at times and incoherent,the story line is all over the place,and where is the shock value and somewhat gross aspect that the original V had (alien lizard people in human skin eating mice or half human half lizard baby) That’s what was the big shocker moments in the original V. This new V is trying to please Peta and while doing so ruining the V.

Calvin July 4, 2010 at 5:34 am

I think it fantastic but I may be biased. I’ll watch ANYTHING with Elizabeth Mitchell. She is just amazing at everything she does.

Nathan Paul June 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Keep the show going…PLEASE!!! Its great. It is a show that you do have to stay with. The network should think about showing past episodes so that people who feel lost or people who missed out on the first seasons have a chance to become interested and start watching. This would help boost the ratings and gain interest. You can’t expect people to remember a new show if they don’t promote it. Shows that have been on for a few years have a fan base, so the network should do what they can to help build the show’s base. Its a good drama, the network has to many comedy, law, hospital shows already. This is different from any thing out there. I hope it is able to stay on for a long time.

CM May 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Is there a chance that internet viewers are not counted? The great thing about that is you can watch episodes you missed. You can rewind and watch something over again. It might be more addicting when watched this way! I haven’t missed anything.

KC May 18, 2010 at 10:18 am

I didn’t see the original V when it was on in the 80’s but I do like the 2009’s verison but at times it is boooring!!! I hope the finale is great!!!

Londoncalling May 16, 2010 at 7:39 am

So far so good. It’s peaked my interest to tune in every week. Love the cast,Good choice for mercenary Hobbes. I think he’s playing the Vs and their playing catch up. I detect an Austailian accent though!!!

jamal May 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Well I for one like the show and I pray that it is not cancelled. I am a real sci-fi fanatic and I tape this show every week. I agree that the show should not have taken such a lengthy hiatus. I know that some viewers have a limited attention span. No disrespect to anyone. I too have been waiting for the V’s to reveal why they are here but however I’ll just keep on watching until that time comes. To the viewers, I really don’t want to see this show get cancelled like many other tv series. So please people let’s give the show a chance and keep on watching. I ‘m sure there are some great and interesting things to come from this show if we all just give it a chance.

Mike May 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm

This has been the biggest disappointment. I loved the original. I loved the new cast. Then it turned dull as dishwater. Have they ever revealed the true intentions of the V’s? At least we learned quickly with the original that they wanted us for dinner. I’ve been waiting too long to find out WHY ARE THEY HERE? Also, the original though low budget at least made and effort as special effects. A few ships here and there is all we get. Nope, it it get’s picked up, I’ll try to catch up, but I got so bored with it that I gave up. Sorry.

Nick April 14, 2010 at 5:57 am

cancel it already, it doesn’t deserve the name V, the plots are crap, the acting is shoddy, and the pace? sheesh, Give me the real V any day, not this pale imitation.

I’m already planning the party for it’s cancellation, may it come soon.

Vanita April 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm

It’s good to see Morris Chestnut on the show. He is TOO HOT!

Eli April 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Didn’t ABC learn their lesson with Lost? They lost many of their original viewers when they started messing around with the schedule…I am appalled that they did the same thing with V the Return.

John March 23, 2010 at 7:12 pm

They need to bring back old cast members from the original series!

kerr February 11, 2010 at 11:56 am

seriously, who came up with the plan to put it on such a long hiatus? they shld be fired. I LOVED this show & after all that advertising they really sucked me in. then poof its gone for months. now ive lost interest – what r they sabotaging themselves? they can’t seriously be this dumb! will the new members help, honestly i dont know! im not sure i wanna even find out.

Jim February 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Krycek and Rommie joining V. Sweet!

ABC made a big mistake airing only 4 episodes before going on break. They should have treated it like Fox has done for 24. Start off with 4 episodes over 2 nights to get everyone hooked and then follow it up with new episodes every week without a break.

Most casual fans will forget what they saw and may not watch again when it comes back. Didn’t they learn from NBC’s Heroes???? That show started off really strong, then it went on an extended break and the ratings never returned to what they were before the break.

Betty February 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I am totally looking forward to Charles Mesure in his new role as the tough, intelligent mercenary who helps the Resistance. I’ll also be watching for the character to express subtle humour and maybe have a romantic opportunity. He can do it all!

ABC should have a recap show that includes comments from the cast members.